• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link I LOVE Adventure of Link!

What Do You Think of AoL

• GREAT!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ******* Game!

• Never Played

• Total voters
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is truly my favorite game in the series. It may be because it was my first ever game as a little kid, when I outgrew Mario and Excitebike. I loved it then, it was hard, but it had such a different playstyle from the original zelda. and to this day, it is still the odd one out. The game was hard, and rather repetitive, but there are years of memories and nostalgia. AoL, you are STILL King.

P

pfr_77

Where's the "wanna love it but it's too br00tal for my noob skillz" option?

I think Zelda II is one my favorite Zelda games and it was my first one to play. Unlike the first game it has a great combat system where you have to out maneuver your enemies. I also loved the different spells you could use and my favorites were jumping higher and casting defense and healing spells. I think a magic meter helped me use strategy when going through a temple or fighting a boss. I thought it was nice to have experience like an RPG but personally I rather it just been overhead adventure game. For the bosses they were varied unlike in first game and often different challenges from the others.

Personally I think this game gets too much heat not only from the game community but also from Zelda fans. Yeah I would differently like it to be an overhead view like the first game but that still doesn't stop from enjoying it. I think what some don't realize is that Zelda II introduce most elements that are still used in Zelda games today. Zelda II introduce to the series a magic meter, interacting with NPC, towns, learning different attacks moves like the downward stab, magic spells, and out maneuvering enemies. This game help set some standards for the series and help pave the way from ALTTP to SS and this is what I remember it for. I give the game a 9.2/10 because of the good designs it had for its time.

dazzsheil

All Hail Shadow
Think about this logically:If the rest of the Zelda games were made in the style of AoL Instead of LoZ,you would all be complaining about LoZ Being the black sheep.IT WAS ONLY THE SECOND GAME,WHY ELSE WOULD THEY CALL IT ZELDA FREAKING II?Look at Mario and Metroid as perfect examples of this.Mario 2 over here was entirly different to what Mario 1 was but everyone enjoyed it!Same with Return of Samus,Most people hate that game just because it was on Game Boy,why not hate on LA? BECAUSE IT'S IN THE STYLE OF LoZ!

I don't mean t be trolling Zelda I Here,I'm just sayinbg YOU WOULD If all the others were made like Zelda II.

Zeldawolfsheik

Chief of Shiekah Tribe
Think about this logically:If the rest of the Zelda games were made in the style of AoL Instead of LoZ,you would all be complaining about LoZ Being the black sheep.IT WAS ONLY THE SECOND GAME,WHY ELSE WOULD THEY CALL IT ZELDA FREAKING II?Look at Mario and Metroid as perfect examples of this.Mario 2 over here was entirly different to what Mario 1 was but everyone enjoyed it!Same with Return of Samus,Most people hate that game just because it was on Game Boy,why not hate on LA? BECAUSE IT'S IN THE STYLE OF LoZ!

I don't mean t be trolling Zelda I Here,I'm just sayinbg YOU WOULD If all the others were made like Zelda II.

This is what everyone should recite in the morning and afternoon as a prayer.

I am now able to get through the Death Mountain maze without using any continues. Is that a sign that I love the game too much and play it too often?

It seems more like a ff game rather than a zelda title but ya its a brutal game i died like 100 times before i even got the candel

This is what everyone should recite in the morning and afternoon as a prayer.

Lol, that would be hilarious. I love AoL, I am on the fourth dungeon, ( or third.) there are cheap game design parts, how ever. Like some enemies being behind a wall, or the projectiles that you need to jump over. I love how realistic the towns are. Link asked people if they know anything like rumors, or help. They give off short hints like some people would do. And to all people who say that they hate RPGs. Get over it, it actually made the game more fun being stronger and quicker. I have loved the bosses so far, it introduced lots of elements I want to see in another Zelda game. In 3D, you could be going through the over world and a enemies finds you and calls for more enemies to come kill you. And, it could be a side scrolling at some parts ( About as much as it was a side scroller in OoA.) That would be awesome!

I posted my thoughts of AOL on another thread, ranking all the zelda games. But seeing as this is an AOL thread, I shall be lazy and paste it here ;)

This is definitely my least favourite in the series. I mean, ok, I praise it for being different/original, and there was some fun to be had, and some of the spells like fairy were cool, and it had great music etc (loved the palace music)... but man, the difficulty - Yes, a challenge can be good, but jesus, the difficulty on this game was TOO hard. Basically you are completely screwed if you don’t level up your stats to the maximum (or at least fairly high), and get all the heart containers and magic containers, and the life spell. If you don’t do all this, then I fail to understand how anyone could actually beat this game. Never so much has a game had me so frustrated as this one. I just want to make clear though, that difficulty can be good, and I do like a challenge, but I just feel that this crossed the line and was TOO difficult. Death mountain gave me tonnes of trouble as you probably suspected. Even with a walkthrough. I think a big flaw in this game is that whenever you get game over you have to restart right at the beginning location. It would have been much less of a pain if you could just start from where you last died... but no... right back to the beginning, and having to travel through all that crap again, which would result in more deaths and probably another game over. I didn’t even bother with extra lives (not all of them anyway) because I read that once you collect one, they’re gone forever... and I felt that my extra lives would have only got wasted considering how often I died throughout the game (I think I died 51 times in total after finishing the game btw). But anyway, on top of what I’ve just said, I have yet to mention the biggest flaw of all.... the fact that when you quit the game, your experience points go back to zero when you go back to your file. This pissed me off no end. Levelling up took FOREVER. Yes, I know levelling up can take long in various games (I’m a huge fan of the PS1 Final Fantasy games), but IMO, AOL took it to another level, and it just took too long. This onerous task made AOL the most tedious game ever. Oh, and the monsters that drain your experience points just added insult to injury. Yes I know levelling up is optional, but let’s face it, nobody would have a chance in hell of completing this game without at least getting your stats fairly high. Finally, the valley of death and the great palace... yes, this pissed me off no end as well. The valley of death was extremely difficult just by itself.... and then if that wasn’t enough, you then had to conquer the great palace... man, when I finally completed this game I felt like getting drunk. I really did. Given all the many criticisms though, this game WAS fun at times. I guess it is an ok game really... But the frustrating difficulty and other gripes I’ve mentioned makes it hard for me to enjoy this game properly, and it’s the one I’d least like to replay in the future.

If all the other zelda games were like AOL then I wouldn't have even become a zelda fan lol

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
AoL was actually a really well-thought out game. Even though it is considered the most unliked in the series, back when it first came out, it was amazing. And of course comparing it to todays games, it looks and plays like "yuck". But overally it's a great game and I love it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
To start off, I would like to hear the reasons you find AoL well....... undesirable. BUT I do not want whining and complaining, it is after all a Zelda game.Please do not say you hate it, it is a Zelda game just like the others even OoT if you hate to admit it.

Just because it is Zelda does not make it good. Other games in the same series should not influence whether you like another game or not. Having to like it just because it is Zelda is no way to go about judging games. Is all music good? No. So if you like music you are not allowed to hate some of it? That does not make sense. A game should be judged by itself not because it is part of a series.

I find it undesirable because I first experienced the 3D Zeldas, and they are of a much higher quality and have storylines to get into. This meant that I was unable to enjoy AOL because I found it outdated. I play games mainly for their stories and characters and AOL did not offer me what I like. This is why I do not like AOL. I'm not whining and complaining, simply putting why it is not the game for me.

I loved it because of its insane difficulty. Games now tend to be way too easy. The dungeon design did get very repetitive after a while and there were no side quests at all in it, but those are my only complaints against it. However, during the Great Palace I had the advantage of playing the GBA version on my DS lite. So I could leave the game on for long periods of time and just charge the system when the battery got low. It took me almost a week to finish the Great Palace, so I was glad that I didn't have to turn it off once I finally got there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom