• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda I Find the WM+ to Be a Step in the Wrong Direction.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Keep in mind that OoT has had many ports and a remake,

Which are not counted in the 7m.

and TP was a Wii launch title

When not as many people had a Wii.

that rode on the bandwagon of "ZOMG, REALISTIC SELDA!!1!ONE",

So? People found the graphics appealing. What of it?

not to mention the motion control bandwagon.

I think you meant "Motion controls". You forgot the quotations there. I've yet to hear anyone geek out over TP's wii controls. All it did was make the Wii version and inferior port.

SS, on the other hand, came out during the tail end of the Wii's life time

When everyone owned a Wii.

long after the bandwagon of motion controls had long faded away,

This is when the Wii finally started to use real motion controls.

yet still became the fastest-selling Zelda.

Which makes no difference whatsoever.

Had the WM+ been there from the start and SS come out early on in the Wii's lifetime, the sales figures would be much different.

You ignore how low its score was too. It's the 2nd lowest 3D Zelda score in Game Rankings and the lowest scoring in Metacritic. If you go by Metacritics userscores, you will find that it is even further behind the others. There are only 3 games with a lower score than its 7.8. FS, FS, and AoL all have 7.3.

Wind Waker, the 2nd lowest scoring 3D game in terms of User Score has 8.8. In terms of popularity, this puts SS closer to FS/FSA/AoL than it does to the other 3D titles. Wind Waker's 4.6m sales were considered below Nintendo's expectations...SS has even lower sales.

While I personally would love to see M+ again, I just don't see Nintendo doing it at this point.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
Honestly, I don't find the motion controls any more or less immersive to me. They all generally make me feel the same. The difference to be is between Good controls and bad controls, not between motion, touch or buttons.

Ehhh...not gonna get into this argument. But don't worry, SS didn't do well anyway, so I don't expect them to use M+ again.
Not gonna get into this argument? You already started it my friend.:P

S

shegg77

They already stated that the motion controls are here to stay. I don't really get how it doesn't feel 'immersive', they work and it feels natural to swing the sword. Might as well get used to it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
They already stated that the motion controls are here to stay.
Source? AFAIK they never said anything like this.

I don't really get how it doesn't feel 'immersive', they work and it feels natural to swing the sword. Might as well get used to it.
It's not immersive to some people because they aren't accustomed to swinging a Wiimote. We've had traditional controls all of gaming until the Wii came along. What's the deal with the sudden flip? How am I supposed to be immersed in something that is completely different from what I've known for X many years? etc

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's not immersive to some people because they aren't accustomed to swinging a Wiimote. We've had traditional controls all of gaming until the Wii came along. What's the deal with the sudden flip? How am I supposed to be immersed in something that is completely different from what I've known for X many years? etc

Which is a poor argument. We all had to get used to multiple different controllers before, and I've NEVER heard anyone say they weren't immersed doing such.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
They already stated that the motion controls are here to stay. I don't really get how it doesn't feel 'immersive', they work and it feels natural to swing the sword. Might as well get used to it.

Because you only wave the sword, every other action feels unnatural (bombs, bow&arrow, clawshot, gust jar) even the sword sometimes, when you hit a wall for instance. (at least to me)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Which is a poor argument. We all had to get used to multiple different controllers before, and I've NEVER heard anyone say they weren't immersed doing such.

Different in what capacity? Oh the Xbox 360 controller was a bigger GameCube controller. But GameCube to Wii is a totally different playing field. One, you're just mashing buttons with minimal movements of the fingers. With the other, you're moving your wrist or even your whole arm, depending on how you play. You can't tell someone "oh baww you're you've a poor argument for not liking/being immersed by the Wiimote!". What they're immersed by is what they're immersed by. Simple as that.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Who the hell revived this fossil?

14 days does not a fossil make. :) In any case, this discussion is still relevant so there's no point in making a new thread. :I

...So performing the same sort of motion Link is to throw/roll a bomb and aim projectiles feels unnatural? Sorry, bud, I call BS on that one.

Considering you're holding a stick and Link is holding a bomb, I'd say that's a bit unnatural. Furthermore, Link's animations aren't exactly like I would do something. He rolls bombs like a bowling ball. I tend to "launch" mine with an arc; that's not to say I THROW them, but I don't roll them. Unnatural. Again, you can't tell someone what's unnatural to them or not.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Considering you're holding a stick and Link is holding a bomb, I'd say that's a bit unnatural.

No less natural than pressing a button on a piece of plastic. If anything, it's more natural.

Furthermore, Link's animations aren't exactly like I would do something. He rolls bombs like a bowling ball. I tend to "launch" mine with an arc; that's not to say I THROW them, but I don't roll them. Unnatural. Again, you can't tell someone what's unnatural to them or not.

Sorry, but nothing about that statement made a lick of sense. :/

Zorth

#Scoundrel
...So performing the same sort of motion Link is to throw/roll a bomb and aim projectiles feels unnatural? Sorry, bud, I call BS on that one.

(at least to me)
;)

I'd rather have a plastic bow & arrow that I can put the wii mote in.. something heavy, something with resistance, something that actually feels like a bow & arrow. Same with the bombs, I'd rather have something to put my wii mote inside of that I can just lunge at the TV. However, this would be way too tedious so I'd rather not. I already find the wii mote to be tedious, I personally find it that I might as well just be playing with a classic controller than with a motion controller since they give me the same experience, except that one requires some more physical work and makes me feel a little silly.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
"To me" is not a compelling argument when the motions are nearly identical to Link's. If we're going to go the route of "it's unnatural to me", I could argue that performing any action with a controller is unnatural, since all we're really doing is performing an action, whether pressing a button or swinging/aiming a motion-controlled device, that causes an animation to occur on-screen. That would be petty, though, since immersion comes through said animations on-screen having a sense of weight to them, which is something Zelda has always absolutely nailed. Skyward Sword is no exception.

You're also contradicting yourself left and right. You say you'd rather have the controller be heavier to have a better resistance, yet you then immediately follow that up by saying it would be tedious, not to mention that you found using a very light piece of plastic tedious... which is ridiculous. There's no reason to find the Wii MotionPlus tedious, at least not in Skyward Sword. If you were talking about Red Steel 2, I could sort of see where you were coming from, since it requires some pretty heavy swings a lot of the time if you want to actually make some progress. Skyward Sword, however, does not fall prey to this. The motions required are very light and nonabrasive, ones people of all ages should be able to perform with ease (unless you're really old, or some **** like that). If you found SS's controls to be tedious, then I have no doubt you were trying way too hard. Like I've said before, it's entirely possible to play the game wrist-only without hassle. It takes a bit of practice, but I've never heard of practice killing anyone. How do you think people get good at stuff in the first place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom