• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrules Geography - My Theory - There Are 2 Hyrules

After I researching the geography of Hyrule for some days I made a theory that there are two Hyrules. The TP-Hyrule and the AoL-Hyrule.
The OoT-, ALttP-, FSA-Hyrule and the Great sea are all the same and they are also Ordona and Faron Province.

OoT=TP=OoX=TWW=ALttP=FSA.jpg

Holodrum, Labrynna, LoZ-Hyrule and TMC-HYrule are Part of AoL-Hyrule and LoZ-Hyrule, TMC-HYrule and Holodrum are the same.

TMC=OoS=LoZ.jpg

Loz-Hyrule in AoL-Hyrule.jpg

Labrynna in AoL.jpg

TP-Hyrule is west of AoL-HYrule.

OoT west of LoZ.jpg

This is how I think the Hyrules are connected. Pleas tell me what you think

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I don't understand why the two Hyrules can't all be the same, just over different periods of time and progressing in two different directions (the Adult Timeline and the Child Timeline). The only really difficult ones are Hyrule after the Great Flood and AoL. You have to remember that the time periods between the games can be very long, and it's natural that some change in climate and ecosystems will appear. Not to mention that Hyrule keeps getting terrorized by natural disasters and various other things done at the hands of villains who can really alter the landscape with their powers or through their actions. That's always one easy cop-out to make regarding geography, and I'd imagine that Nintendo would use either of those as a defense for differences across the franchise, because they have to keep the games somewhat diverse.
As for Holodrum and Labrynna, most people have concluded that they are separate provinces from Hyrule, or possibly members of some sort of commonwealth under the Hylian Monarchy. A lot of people see them as geographically distinct from Hyrule, but it's interesting to see that you've considered Labrynna as part of AoL Hyrule.

startimer

Resident Cartographer
v Click for map v
img003x.jpg

I'm glad I uploaded this, it's starting to be useful.

Okay, first I'd like to clear something up: THe are two hyrules, but not in the way you described. There is an "Old" Hyrule, in which OoT, TP and soon SS take place in. Then there is a "New" Hyrule, which ST takes place in. Games take place in different provinces of these Hyrules, but the provinces are all part of one large land.

So, this is how I see the regions connecting (see map for visual):

Going by order of release, the first point of comparison is LoZ and AoL. It's been all but confirmed that LoZ's Hyrule is the small southern section of the much larger AoL overworld map. Despite the size and diversity of these two games, only two landmarks reappear in other games: Death Mountain and the Lost Woods. Both these happen to border the western edge- Going down you have Death Moutain, a graveyard at it's base, and the Lost Woods.

Now bring OoT into it. Look At ooT's eastern edge- Going down you have Death Mountain, Kakiriko Villiage (wich has a graveyard), and the Lost woods. So, logically, OoT takes place in a region west of LoZ/AoL Hyrule.

Notice I skipped ALttP- I will also be skipping the Four Swords titles for now, I'll address these later.

In MC, the only landmark it shares with other games is Lake Hylia. Hylia is noramll in the South-west, but in MC it's in the North-east. Logically this means MC would take place in a region south-west of the OoT region.

TP is in the same region as OoT, but covers a larger area.

Okay, I think this is a good point to address the oddities-

Alttp's overworld is strange, as it doesn't seem to fit with any other overworld. Most of it's locations are shared with OoT/TP Hyrule, but IN DIFFERENT PLACES. Rar.

Four Swords overworld is also an odd one. It can't really be explored, it's just a "stage select" that takes you to the game's dungens. Based on the position of Death Mountain, I'm guessing it's somewhere in the LoZ/AoL region.

FSA is even stranger. It's almost identical to the ALttP Hyrule, except that IT'S AN ISLAND! Many people used this as evidence that ALttP does follow WW- That the islands came back together or the sea drained or something. I'm not so sure.

As for the other countries, Holodrum and Labryna-

Holodrum I see as being south of Hyrule. Like, bordering it's southern side. It has the Lost Woods in it's North-western corner, whereas in relation to Hyrule the Lost Woods are somewhere in the middle, on the Southern border.

Labrynna I have no clue.

I never mentioned ST because it's seperate from the rest, in this "New" Hyrule. I may adrress it later, though, as it does srongly resemble the LoZ/AoL overworld.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
This thread is for the most part, pointless. Nintendo doesn't care about geography at all. When they make new games they develop new Hyrules based on what they feel works best for the game, not an overall storyline, or how the previous Hyrules were. You can theorize about it if you want, cause I can see you put some decent thought into it and it is fun to think about, just know that it's not what Nintendo wanted to portray to you.

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
They can do whatever the stink they want with the geography.
bbevington90 said:
When they make new games they develop new Hyrules based on what they feel works best for the game, not an overall storyline, or how the previous Hyrules were.

Well in that case, we don't need a ZD theory section at all, do we? I'm not sure I totally understand the two Hyrules thing, but it's a cool idea. I definitely think its possible, just that it might not be split up quite in this way. To me, it looks like the circled regions on the OoT and LoZ maps look like they're virtually in the same spot, and features might have shifted with time.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
Well in that case, we don't need a ZD theory section at all, do we?

That's not what I meant. I'm just saying that Nintendo has absolutely no intentions in tinkering with overall storyline when they are creating Hyrules, so basing things on where things are in Hyrule, etc. doesn't necessarily work. I was a little harsh in my previous post in this thread, so I'm sorry for that though. If you want to theorize about this anyway, it's fine, this is all just supposed to be fun to talk about, right? :)

v Click for map v
img003x.jpg
THIS. I think your completely correct in saying that the hyrule we see in most games is the little area in the south of AoL's map. Also, I think that thegermanlegend is correct when he says that LoZ's map is just the eastern portion of TP and OoT's map. It's probably like this. TP/OoT in the center, with LoZ being the eastern section of that. MC is probably Southeast from TP/Oot, like startimer said. another option for MC is that it is jut regular hyrule but stuff got renamed because it is at the beginning or end of the timeline. i put it right before LoZ, which doesn't name any landmarks, so that makes sense. north of it all is Aol's map, which is HUGE. WW is hyrule area flooded, and new hyrule is probably the more mountianus aereas in AoL. mabie it survived the flood because the scale is a lot larger so the mountains and hills are taller.:S

startimer

Resident Cartographer
THIS. I think your completely correct in saying that the hyrule we see in most games is the little area in the south of AoL's map. Also, I think that thegermanlegend is correct when he says that LoZ's map is just the eastern portion of TP and OoT's map. It's probably like this. TP/OoT in the center, with LoZ being the eastern section of that. MC is probably Southeast from TP/Oot, like startimer said. another option for MC is that it is jut regular hyrule but stuff got renamed because it is at the beginning or end of the timeline. i put it right before LoZ, which doesn't name any landmarks, so that makes sense. north of it all is Aol's map, which is HUGE. WW is hyrule area flooded, and new hyrule is probably the more mountianus aereas in AoL. mabie it survived the flood because the scale is a lot larger so the mountains and hills are taller.:S

Anyway that's an interesting point you brought up about the AoL area surviving the flood... I can't help but notice that ST's "New Hyrule" resembles the AoL map, with the Fire Realm being death mountain and the Ocean Realm where LoZ area should be...
It's been shown that nortern areas usually have higher elevations, so if the AoL area was higher than the rest, high enough to escape the flood, that would explain both the similarities and the differences of ST hyrule...

I think we may be on to something...

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
First off, yeah there are two Hyrules, at least. Old Hyrule and New Hyrule. The others all I can guess are either ones of those two in different time periods.
This is an idea for Old Hyrule in the TP time period that I found yesterday. Click the button to see it. Click the map itself for full size.
Original page, here.
I'm not saying I agree 100% with that map. But it's very interesting. I am not set personally on Termina even being there, but regardless it's cleverly placed. OoT Hyrule would be roughly where Ordona and Faron are on that map. Labrynna and Holodrum make a lot of sense here because they were described in-game as being close enough to each other and Hyrule for birds to be used to carry messages.

Pinecove

Last Chance
OoT Hyrule = TP Hyrule.
ALttP Hyrule = LoZ Hyrule = Bottom left of AoL Hyrule.
TMC Hyrule = FSA Hyrule = ALttP Hyrule
ALttP Hyrule may or may not = OoT Hyrule due to their separation in 2002 with the release of TWW.

worldmapss5.png

Region 1 = Hyrule proper: The Hyrule that we see in TMC, FS, FSA, ALttP, LoZ, the bottom westy part of AoL, and possibly OoT and TP, depending on whether the games go on the child timeline or the adult timeline.

Region 2 = Labrynna:

empirelabrynnahz0.jpg

Region 3 = Sleeping Zelda place - only seen in AoL.

Region 4 = Realm of the Ocean King. (Maze island, and also Goron island matches up with Goron mountain in OoS)

Region 5 = Holodrum:

empireholodrumzm6.jpg

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
This is an interesting theory, and I've thought about both myself. This would make sense if the Rito evolvd from the Zoras and still appeared in the OoT manga (as the Watara). Maybe one section's Zora tribe was more advanced than the others, and beame Rito before the flood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom