• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Was the Master Sword Made?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
there is no for sure back story for the master sword. im guessing that someday there will be a game that has the BS of the master sword in the game or a game that even takes place during the creation of the master sword.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Well according to what I believe, the Master Sword could have been forged by the Hylians in ancient times. Then the sages of the temples would pray in order to keep the Master Sword in power.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I don´t know what I get my idea from. But I actually believe the master sword was created by the goddesses, or maybe just Din. It´s far too unique to have been created by an ordinary swordsmith I believe. I would love to see a prequel in which we could find out more about it :)

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I've always had some sort of inclination that the sages must have been the ones that created it. I'm pretty sure there aren't any sages until Ocarina of Time, though, so it might be better to say that it was Din, Nayru, or Farore, or all three of them.

I know that The Minish Cap explains that the Minish gave the Four Sword ("Picori Sword") to the hero in the intro, so the Master Sword might have similar origins. Some other race (like the Sheikah, perhaps) could have forged it.

There's really not an official answer until it's explained in a Zelda game, if that ever even happens.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
It may have been forged by the goddesses, but I find it odd that mortals can tamper with and reforge it when necessary, and it has been known to break and lose its power.

If you compare it to other sacred blades of lore such as Excalibur and Caladbolg, you see that these weapons are never reforged or tampered (well... to my knowledge, at least). They never need to be tampered with because they are perfect, because they are forged by God or some other deity.

I've always had some sort of inclination that the sages must have been the ones that created it. I'm pretty sure there aren't any sages until Ocarina of Time, though, so it might be better to say that it was Din, Nayru, or Farore, or all three of them.
That's actually a pretty good thought. I hadn't even considered the sages. And there were sages prior to OoT. Rauru is an ancient sage, and Kaepora Gaebora is rumored to be a reincarnated ancient sage, as well.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Well, to best answer this question, let us take a look at what the Master Sword is.

It's a magical sword. Someone had to have forged the actual blade and handle, right? What if the Master Sword was just a normal sword infused with some amazing power by the Goddesses? What if the Goddesses didn't have anything to do with it? The picori blade, as far as we know, was made by the Minish people. It seems as if it didn't take some super power to infuse their blade with power so why would the Master Sword have to be made by a super power?

In The Wind Waker, it states that the sages in the temples have to pray to give the sword the power of "Evil's Bane."

So, however the sword itself was forged, it doesn't have true power without the sages.

As for the sword, I find it likely that the sages and perhaps the King of Hyrule had it made, perhaps under order of the Goddesses.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I find it highly unlikely that the Goddesses had the Hylians create the Master Sword. As far as we know, there is not one game where any character ever comes in direct contact with the Goddesses or talks to them. I think the Goddesses are more of beings that are praised and followed rather than beings that are actually talked to and come into contact with. Kind of like God.

I find it highly unlikely that the Goddesses had the Hylians create the Master Sword. As far as we know, there is not one game where any character ever comes in direct contact with the Goddesses or talks to them. I think the Goddesses are more of beings that are praised and followed rather than beings that are actually talked to and come into contact with. Kind of like God.
I suppose you could be right, but even with God, there are instances a really long time ago where people did speak with him, such as Moses. I think it could be similar with Hyrule.

Also keep in mind that in The Wind Waker, after climbing the Tower of the Gods and just when you're about to fight Gohdan the Great Arbiter, something speaks to you. Somehow I doubt it's Gohdan himself... but I could be wrong.

Oh, and there's also the Oracles in Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons... but I really don't think those were intended to be the Goddesses. :xd:

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I suppose you could be right, but even with God, there are instances a really long time ago where people did speak with him, such as Moses. I think it could be similar with Hyrule.

Also keep in mind that in The Wind Waker, after climbing the Tower of the Gods and just when you're about to fight Gohdan the Great Arbiter, something speaks to you. Somehow I doubt it's Gohdan himself... but I could be wrong.

Oh, and there's also the Oracles in Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons... but I really don't think those were intended to be the Goddesses. :xd:

Well i wasnt comparing LoZ, i was just using God as an example. Today, no one talks to him directly or sees him or any of that. I see the Goddesses as being like that especially since we have no evidence that anyone does talk to them. The most contact shown by the Goddesses in the series with the rest of the world is them flooding Hyrule. Other than that, they pretty much made the world and the triforce and left.

The oracles are NOT the Goddesses. They are just representations of them in human form. They are just Oracles.

Well i wasnt comparing LoZ, i was just using God as an example. Today, no one talks to him directly or sees him or any of that. I see the Goddesses as being like that especially since we have no evidence that anyone does talk to them. The most contact shown by the Goddesses in the series with the rest of the world is them flooding Hyrule. Other than that, they pretty much made the world and the triforce and left.

The oracles are NOT the Goddesses. They are just representations of them in human form. They are just Oracles.
True, but the Zelda series leaves a lot of information out (such as the topic of discussion with this thread, the origins of the Master Sword,) so there's no proof saying they didn't have contact at some point. No proof saying they did, either.

But I think the Hylians wouldn't be worshiping the Goddesses unless they had some kind of contact with them a long time ago, purely for the fact that they wouldn't even know about them.

I know, I agree with you on that, about the Oracles. That's what I was saying. ;)

peanutjoepap

Mr. Peanut
this is interesting the first time you "fight" ganondorf in wind waker he says "Take that blade back to the fools who made it. And tell them that its power is gone and its edges are dull." so it had to be made by some one in ancient times

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
this is interesting the first time you "fight" ganondorf in wind waker he says "Take that blade back to the fools who made it. And tell them that its power is gone and its edges are dull." so it had to be made by some one in ancient times

It almost sounds like hes implying that the people who made it are still around. It could also just be something he said just to spite the creators whether they were dead, alive or supernatural.

Just a little tidbit, there is a small easter egg (well i think its an easter egg) that could be taken as more. On Phantom Ganon's sword, it says Zabora Gabora (not sure of the spelling) which is the names of the blacksmiths in Termina. Just thought i would throw that in there. Maybe they made the sword and somehow got it to Hyrule.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
It almost sounds like hes implying that the people who made it are still around. It could also just be something he said just to spite the creators whether they were dead, alive or supernatural.

I assumed this meant he would kill Link, so he should bring it to the people who made it on "the other side" once he gets there. Sort of a "Say hello to your ancestors for me" kind of quote you get in action movies.

Because of this, I thought the blade was made by the godesses, who I assume would be sort of in charge of the afterlife. It's possible as well that the sages had it forged as a regular blade, and then they prayed to the godesses to give it power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom