• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda How Long Can the Series Keep Advancing?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
To be honest the Legend of Zelda series is generally a flexible one, the Timeline and Nintendo's love for adding retcons, leads to near unlimited possibility to formulate plots, which leads for them to push new ideas and whatnot. Nintendo are also infamous for switching up the series, new controls and graphical styles make each individual games (well most) feel unique in their own respect.

However I feel the series' formula has stayed static, to be honest, even though it is somewhat flexible, it essentially is still rather similar despite the makeover it gets. The question really is though; how long can the series keep advancing?

There have been a lot of series' that have lost pace down the years and maybe that's just due to poor handling of that franchise but surely there comes a point, or in this case a "tipping point" were things tend to go downhill. Now people can say that the series has went downhill over the last few years but general consensus and new ideas really push the idea that Zelda is still going strong -- but for how long? This thread isn't to ponder the future, but to focus on how long the series can essentially go.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
lel, the series hasn't advanced beyond MM until a couple years later with TP. The series technically can continue to advance, but Nintendo plays too much of the safe game. They have one foot in the safe zone (core structure of Zelda games) and the other foot in the wilderness (controlschemes, transportation, and formerly true advancement in the gameplay with hidden skills). If they take that safe foot out they could see a crapton of things happening to their series....but it'll never happen.

So, the series can't continue to advance until Nintendo plays risky. That does not mean the series will die out, though.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Indefinitely. There will always be new ideas, technologies, and and developers for the franchise to experience. I think Zelda can go on, as long as the people running it are competent.

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
lel, the series hasn't advanced beyond MM until a couple years later with TP. The series technically can continue to advance, but Nintendo plays too much of the safe game. They have one foot in the safe zone (core structure of Zelda games) and the other foot in the wilderness (controlschemes, transportation, and formerly true advancement in the gameplay with hidden skills). If they take that safe foot out they could see a crapton of things happening to their series....but it'll never happen.

So, the series can't continue to advance until Nintendo plays risky. That does not mean the series will die out, though.

I have to disagree. Nintendo having 'one foot in the safe zone' was a very smart move. To keep the core of a Zelda game, keeps it a Zelda game. If they were completely in the wilderness, I'm not sure I would like Zelda anymore, because one of the things I like about Zelda is the very essence of the core. If nintendo didn't keep the core of Zelda, it's wouldn't be a Zelda game, it would just be a game called Zelda. It would be something else.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I have to disagree. Nintendo having 'one foot in the safe zone' was a very smart move. To keep the core of a Zelda game, keeps it a Zelda game. If they were completely in the wilderness, I'm not sure I would like Zelda anymore, because one of the things I like about Zelda is the very essence of the core. If it is completely in the wilderness it's not a Zelda game, it's just a game called Zelda. It's something else.

Keep a toe in the safe zone then, but have the rest of the body in the wilderness. Zelda games are far too similar to one another (imo). We really need advancement instead of innovation. Nintendo focuses too much on changing HOW we play our Zelda games, not WHAT we're playing in the Zelda games. in pizza format, I like the core of Zelda, but a lot of the sauce and cheese that makes up the Zelda Pizza is just the same through each iteration.

I want them to have the same crust, different sauce (that still tastes good) and different cheese (again that still tastes good). Instead, Nintendo simply makes a square pizza instead of a circle one. Not much of a change ya dig.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
As long as the people will continue to buy the games and the developers continue to remember why the customers love and play the games, I'd say Zelda has an indefinite lifespan. I love the stories of Zelda, not because they go on forever, but because they're worth being told and retold forever.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Keeping a toe in the safe zone would result in an FPS title labeled Zelda. The games are definitely way too different with only a few working on improvement, rather than innovation.

Salem

SICK
Keeping a toe in the safe zone would result in an FPS title labeled Zelda. The games are definitely way too different with only a few working on improvement, rather than innovation.
;)OoT was almost in first person. So yeah...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom