• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler How exactly did Link stop Ganondorf in OoT?

So he went back to the past and stopped Ganondorf before he did anything. But..how exactly? I mean we know that he and Zelda told the king, but the king didn't believe Zelda when she said she has a feeling Gannondorf is evil, so no chance of him believing her if she tells him that a boy came from the future.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
It's simple. They didn't go get the gems, so his plan failed. Also, the fact that Link had the Triforce of Courage was probably something that helped convince him.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
According to the Hyrule Historia Timeline, Ganondorf was executed by the sages in the child timeline. The sages kill Ganondorf before he gets any of the Spiritual Stones, and when the execution fails, he's cast into the Twilight Realm, as explained in Twilight Princess, which is part of the child timeline.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
As has been said, they don't collect the Spiritual Stones (well maybe except for like the Kokiri Emerald) and they don't use them to open the Door of Time. This meant that Ganondorf never gets the Triforce of Power so he never takes over Hyrule. The king obviously realises his real intentions eventually because either Zelda and Link told him or it just becomes obvious.

It's only in the defeat timeline (leading to the events of Twilight Princess) that the sages execute Ganondorf. The sages would never have awoken in the event of Link and Zelda not opening the sacred realm.

It's only in the defeat timeline (leading to the events of Twilight Princess) that the sages execute Ganondorf. The sages would never have awoken in the event of Link and Zelda not opening the sacred realm.

Wait...how does the defeat timeline lead to Twilight Princess? Doesn't it lead to A Link To The Past?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
So he went back to the past and stopped Ganondorf before he did anything. But..how exactly? I mean we know that he and Zelda told the king, but the king didn't believe Zelda when she said she has a feeling Gannondorf is evil, so no chance of him believing her if she tells him that a boy came from the future.

Link returns from the future bearing the triforce of courage on his hand. He returns to the time when he would have first met Zelda and would have convinced her to let him have an audience with the King. The king would then believe his story when presented with the proof on the back of his hand and then actually prepared himself for Ganondorfs assault, very likely getting the sages involved in his takedown.

Ganondorf in TP was described as being blind to all danger. So he didn't know the King had been informed of his intended treason. This allowed for him to be subdued and brought to justice. It was decided he was too dangerous to be kept alive and was therefore sentenced to be executed. Links actions in bringing the triforce of courage back also caused Ganondorf and Zelda to receive their pieces. So when Ganondorf was executed his consciousness was able to survive in the Twilight Realm being nourished by the anguish of the Twili people.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Link returns from the future bearing the triforce of courage on his hand. He returns to the time when he would have first met Zelda and would have convinced her to let him have an audience with the King. The king would then believe his story when presented with the proof on the back of his hand and then actually prepared himself for Ganondorfs assault, very likely getting the sages involved in his takedown.

Ganondorf in TP was described as being blind to all danger. So he didn't know the King had been informed of his intended treason. This allowed for him to be subdued and brought to justice. It was decided he was too dangerous to be kept alive and was therefore sentenced to be executed. Links actions in bringing the triforce of courage back also caused Ganondorf and Zelda to receive their pieces. So when Ganondorf was executed his consciousness was able to survive in the Twilight Realm being nourished by the anguish of the Twili people.
Technically he never died there but u agree with everything else

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Doesn't make any sense, the Spiritual Stones were collected, the Door of Time was opened. Remember, as soon as he gets sent back he ends up in the Chamber of the Master Sword, the Master Sword is in the pedastal but Link doesn't try lifting it. Navi leaves him and the scene shifts to Link going to meet Zelda again. Probably what happened was Link took away the Spiritual Stones which closed the Door of Time again (making it impossible for Ganondorf to access the sacard realm). I'm not sure how Link and Zelda probably convinced the King that Ganondorf is evil - probably by showing the Spiritual Stones that is proof enough that the King's allies believe Link and Zelda's theory on Ganondorf is true. The Triforce wasn't split because Ganondorf didn't access the sacard realm (otherwise Link should have the Triforce of Courage in Majora's Mask). The only reason Twilight Princess Link begins the game with the Triforce of Courage is because Ganondorf had already gotten the Triforce of Power during his execution (It was sort of a destiny type thing setting the stage for an event like OoT because it was prevented from happening the way it orginally was supposed to).

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
Good question, as I have wondered myself. I don't think Hyrule Historia covers this.

However... When I played this game I thought that the cycle would continue forever... Zelda saying Gannondorf is evil, he gets stones, becomes an adult, kills the Dorf, goes back, repeat, repeat, repeat...
I thought that Link was cursed to have to live a continuous cycle life forever fighting the evil forces.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Ganondorf's whole plan in Ocarina of Time relied on Link doing most of the work for him. Gannondorf was powerful, born a King and probably well adapt in sorcery because of his surrogate mothers; though that wasn't nearly enough power to overthrow all of Hyrule and storm the Temple of Time with brute force. This is where Ganondorf is clever - he tries to strike a truce with the King while secretly planning to attack Princess Zelda (he needed her either for the Ocarina or to hold ransom). Notice how he attempt to kill Link here during the scene and just stunned him. He could have killed him right then and there but that would completely foil part of his plan to get access to the Sacred Realm. Ganondorf knew Link was set a task and and that he was collecting the Spiritual Stones (something Ganondorf tried to acquire).

So really Ganondorf wasn't all that powerful before he gained the Triforce and could probably easily be overthrown and captured if needed. So when Link "returned to his own time" he had proof because his hand beared the symbol of the Triforce of Courage which gave his claim legitimacy. Ganondorf was then imprisoned, and during his execution he was gifted the Triforce of Power by a "divine prank". The divine prank was actually because Link returned to Hyrule with the Triforce of Courage therefore the Triforce was split and found Ganondorf as a suitable bearer.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
So when Link "returned to his own time" he had proof because his hand beared the symbol of the Triforce of Courage which gave his claim legitimacy.

How can we be sure though? Technically the pieces should have only been split and distributed at the same time, not over the course of different years. If Link already had the Triforce of Courage than Ganondorf should have had the Triforce of Power already also, before even being captured to be executed. Correct?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Link went to termina without the triforce of courage, so i'd say that when he entered Termina his piece of the triforce left him and it either caused a fracture of the pieces which eventually led to the TOC being sealed away or it reunited with the others. As is link returns in the room of the Master Sword so i'd say he resealed the room. But of course my issue with that is, how far back did he get sent? We are shown that it was before ganondorf gained great power so my thoughts are. He alerted Zelda to ganondorfs intents and with her help persuaded the King of Ganondorfs plans, this led to a very long chase across hyrule until he was caught up with and chained in the Arbiters Grounds ready for execution. By this time Child Link has left hyrule and so the Triforce is fractured the other two pieces returning to those who once held them, but they remained hidden unknown to their bearers until such a time as needed, hence why he survives execution and entrapment in the twilight realm.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
How can we be sure though? Technically the pieces should have only been split and distributed at the same time, not over the course of different years. If Link already had the Triforce of Courage than Ganondorf should have had the Triforce of Power already also, before even being captured to be executed. Correct?
Well it says that In Hyrule Historia. To answer your question about Ganondorf though, th Triforce really only shows its power, so to say, when needed. Like how Link transformed into a Wolf in the Twilight Realm. So when Ganondorf was basically executed, it showed then.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Well it says that In Hyrule Historia. To answer your question about Ganondorf though, th Triforce really only shows its power, so to say, when needed. Like how Link transformed into a Wolf in the Twilight Realm. So when Ganondorf was basically executed, it showed then.
This^^
The Triforce only appears for people that have shown tremendous strength(Or whatever their Triforce piece may hold), or when the holder is in dire situation. We see this with Twilight Princess Link, who has the Triforce of Courage, but it is not used until Link transforms into Twilight and it is needed. It is the exact same as Ganondorf as well.
We have also seen that trait before.
Despite having both the Triforce of Power and Wisdom, TLoZ's Link is never branded until six years later, right before the events of AoL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom