• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time How Do You Pronounce Gerudo?

How do you pronounce Gerudo?

• "Gherudo"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Jerudo"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Hey guys, just something that intrigued me. How do you guys pronounce Gerudo? I saw a video the other day on some dude's theory, and he pronounced it "Jerudo", but I've always pronounced it "Gherudo". So what about you?

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I actually pronounce it Heh-ROO-doh which is how it would be pronounced in Spanish. Granted in all likelihood it isn't, but the first time I saw the word it stuck in my mind as a Spanish word.

yotam

Leave the chocolate here
I pronounce Gah Roo Doh, I took me a while to notice the "e" and I liked it better with an "a" so I keep saying it this way.

Djinn

and Tonic
Even though it was not the Japanese pronunciation I have always used Jer-Ooh-Doh. I thought they should have more of a middle eastern style to them and I somehow assumed that would be a more correct use of the letter G.

I also realized that I am in the minority in pronouncing Farore as Fa-Roar-Ruh.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Gherudo. I hope it's not Jerudo, I hate it when words are spelled different than how they sound.

I don't quite see what you mean here, as if it is pronounced the way it is spelled, then it would be "Jerudo", but as we all know, there are exceptions to pronunciations, and this might be one of them.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
From a similar thread some months ago (http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?10950-Pronounciations&p=148200#post148200), my German dialect pronunciation is [kæˈʁuː.doː] and my English pronuciataion would be [gɘˈɹuː.dəʊ̯], for those of you who can't read IPA: it's the "gh"-pronuciation (not "j-").
But as a hobby linguist, I'm still interested even more in the etymology of the word.

I don't speak any Japanese, so the following "explanation" goes without warranty, anybody may feel free to correct me:

I have some basic clues as to ho
w foreign words are transcribed in Japanese (using the Katakana script). As far as I know, most consonant clusters (2 and more consonants in a row, as in "sixths") except /ts/, /tʃ/, /dz/, /dʒ/ and those starting with /n/ are dissolved to syllabes. These syllabes start with the first consonant+u and then the 2nd consonant+following vowel (if there is any) or 2nd consonant+u, except for the consonants /t/ and /d/, which become /to/ and /do/ in absence of a following vowel. Furthermore, /r/ and /l/ fall together in Katakana transcription.
Examples:
A word ending in -cta /-kta/ would be transcribed as -クタ /-kuta/.
A word ending in -ct /-kt/ would be transcribed as -クト /-kuto/.
(Confused yet? :))

If I look at "Gerudo" now, it seems very likely that this is a Romaji transcription of "ゲルド", which in turn - considering the transcription rules above - might be derived from "Geld", which is the German word for "money". The fact that there were desert enemies in aLttP called "
Geldarm" and the fact that the Gerudo are desert thieves (and therefore probably strive for money) make this etymology seem very likely to me.
And considering that both the Katakana "ゲ" and the "Ge-" in German "Geld" are pronounced with a velar g like in English "get", I'm even more tending towards that pronunciation.

Jedizora

:right:
I've have always done ger(as in the robot form invader zim/arkvoodles avater)-ode(as in dude).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom