• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler How Did Zant Get Out?

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
First of all, I wanna say that I searched for my question in the forums, but it didn't come up.

OK, moving on from that... I have a simple question. Midna says that her tribe was banished to the Twilight Realm a long time ago, and that she's a descendant of that tribe, and so is Zant. So, how did Zant get out from the Twilight Realm and start wreaking havoc in Hyrule? Maybe it said it somewhere in the game, but I missed it? I was under the impression that the only way in or out of the Twilight Realm was through the Mirror of Twilight, which is broken and scattered across several regions of Hyrule.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
In the middle of the game, we are shown a cut-scene where Ganondorf kills a sage and the other sages sealed him in the Twilight Realm. We are then explained that he met Zant there, who had similar intentions to Ganondorf (which was to rule Hyrule in Ganondorf's case, and rule the Twilight Realm in Zant's case). So they basically made a deal - Ganondorf will give power to Zant so he can overthrow Midna, and Zant must help Ganondorf get out of the Twilight Realm and return to Hyrule. From this, we can predict that since Ganondorf was much more powerful than anybody in the Twilight Realm, he was able to escape with a bit of help. He also could have used the power of the Triforce of Power to get out. So once he got out, I believe that the seal between the worlds was broken, and Midna and Zant could now get out, and this is basically how Zant wreaked havoc in Hyrule. This may not be entirely true, but it is what I believe.

Nicole

luke is my wife
bbevington90 said:
I was under the impression that the only way in or out of the Twilight Realm was through the Mirror of Twilight, which is broken and scattered across several regions of Hyrule.

Seeing as Zant was the one to break the mirror, it is assumed that he was out of it at the time. :P

Anyway, it is my belief that this happened:
(This whole next paragraph is probably spoilers, my apologies, read at your own risk.)

During the cutscene with Zant, it is revealed that he was granted power by "his god," Ganondorf, during his desperate time. That power, then, gave him the ability to overthrow Midna as ruler of the Twili, and banish her through the mirror. With her gone, he was free to use the mirror as he chose. At some point in time, probably when Link and Zant met at Lanayru Spring, or in Stallord's lair, Zant felt the need to destroy the MoT to buy time and prevent Link from reaching him in the Twilight Realm.

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
I'm going to go with the fact that when you go into the Twilight Realm, and you look behind you, the entrence (the Mirror Of Twilight) is not anything near a solid object. But, when you are in Hyrule, the Mirror is totally solid. So the only way for Zant to break the Mirror would be to be on the Hyrule side, and as Juice said, Midna probobly followed Zant and hid while he destroyed the Mirror.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Midna said:
It's clear to me now that he [Zant] somehow gained a great evil power previously
unknown to our tribe...
In any case, I was sent from there, and could no longer get into the Twilight
Realm without his power.
...But there's another tale told by my people.
Though the goddesses forbade us to return to the world of light, they left one
link between the light and the darkness.
Something called the Mirror of Twilight was passed to the protectors of
Hyrule...
It's our only path to the Twilight Realm...and we must get there!
You'll come with me...won't you?
Midna was sent from the TR before Zant left it, so we can rule out the possibility of her following him, but other than that, this quote is still quite confusing. She can't have been sent through the miror because she doesn't know where it is:
Would you mind coming with me to find something called the Mirror of Twilight?
It's hidden somewhere in Hyrule...
Yes, the Mirror of Twilight... Our last potential link to Zant!
So apparently Ganondorf's power seems to be able to transport people between the realms at will. I don't remember...why did Zant break the mirror? It almost seems unnecessary given Ganondorf's power.

Djinn

and Tonic
I imagine the magic of the Twili enhanced by the Triforce of Power granted to Zant from Ganondorf allowed for the creation of these things.

Twilight_Portal.png

The Twili portals that the shadow beasts use to enter the light world in various locations. These are created just before several beasts enter a space to attack Link or take over a region. Even after their death there is no way to remove them. When Link has defeated the minions ans rescued the light spirit of the region, the portal remains. Meaning that it has an even greater power behind it than anything Link or the light spirits can bring against it. Which perfectly describes the Triforce of Power.

The banishment of the Dark Interlopers was actually done by the Light Spirits on command of the gods. Not the Gods themselves.
"It was then that the goddesses ordered us three light spirits to intervene. We sealed away the great magic those individuals had mastered." — Lanayru
Zant when he appeared before Lanayru showed that he was greater in power to Lanayru and could easily defeat it. As well as his breaking apart of all the light spirits into small tears of light then spreading twilight over their guarded regions of Hyrule. So the Triforce of Power Zant had access to gave him a higher authority over that of the Light Spirits and their power alone could no longer keep him sealed in the Twili Realm. As the triforce itself is a higher power than the light spirits, Zant was free to enter the light world if he wished and no authority could stop him. He had access to a greater power than what was used to seal the Twilight Realm, so he could easily break that seal.

However Midna as a Twili herself and very well versed in traditional Twili magic of the royal family can take advantage of the already created portals and use them when she wishes. She does not appear to be capable of creating them though, only using one that already exists.
I'll use my power to take you to the location of the open portal... Pick where you want to go." — Midna

The portals looking so traditionally Twili in appearance and Midna's capability of using them makes me believe that they are created through Twili magic but amplified by the triforce to a degree that they can return to the light world against the will of the Light Spirits that banished them centuries earlier. This would fall under the most basic definitions of power that the triforce piece represents.
  • possession of controlling influence; "the deterrent power of nuclear weapons"; "the power of his love saved her"; "his powerfulness was concealed by a gentle facade"
  • (physics) the rate of doing work; measured in watts (= joules/second)
  • ability: possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done; "danger heightened his powers of discrimination"
  • office: (of a government or government official) holding an office means being in power; "being in office already gives a candidate a great advantage"; "during his first year in office"; "during his first year in power"; "the power of the president"
  • one possessing or exercising power or influence or authority; "the mysterious presence of an evil power"; "may the force be with you"; "the forces of evil"
  • exponent: a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
  • might: physical strength

Showing that it might not instantly grant magical abilities to it's owner but greatly amplifies what magical abilities they do have to such a degree that they are superior to all others. Which is why Zant's magics continue to take on a Twili appearance.

Zan't breaking of the Mirror of Twilight was probably symbolic. He finally found the very item that was used to banish his people to an otherworldly prison centuries earlier. His breaking was both a final act of defiance against those would would punish his line eternally and a show that he was now a greater authority over it. That the Mirror would never be used against him ever again and that he was more powerful than those who judged his people. Anyone who actually saw the very same weapon used against their ancestors in such a way would likely act the same. They would want it removed or destroyed.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
The portals seen in Twilight Princess represent the power of Din. I say this because as Gannondorf gave Zant the power of his Triforce piece, Zant created these portals. But even after clearing the realm of Hyrule from the clutches of twilight, these portals still remain. Also, the Light Spirits can not challenge the power of the twilight that much either. They sealed away the evil power the Dark Interlopers had mastered by order of the goddesses. Sealed away, not destroyed. This shows the true inner power that the Twili race posses. But we shouldn't scorn this power or these portals. They prove useful for traveling, when we are to lazy to walk or be shot out of an oversized cannon. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom