• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Did You Like the Loftwings and the Sky?

Majora's Cat

How about that
The Sky lacked substance, but flying itself was a genuine joy once you got the hang of it. I think most of fans agree with that statement. There seem to be two possible problems, but I really think that fixing either one of them would have sufficed:

• The Sky was too devoid of activities and locations.
  • The Sky wasn't large enough.
I don't really care much about how large the Sky is, but about the amount of content contained in it. If the same density of sidequests and secrets in the Sky, except it was a bit larger, I would have been completely content. I think the amount of "substance" for any volume of game space was acceptable, because the sky is a vast, open expanse like The Wind Waker's ocean. Typically it shouldn't be overcrowded with floating islands and the like because by definition, it's mostly open space.

If the Sky overworld remained the same size but was instead crammed with more venues to visit and things to do, I wouldn't complain because at least you can spend a good portion of your time digging your heels into the sidequests and exploring. It would be much appreciated if Nintendo stuck in a few more overworld hubs in the Sky, though. Skyloft sure was nifty and felt more like an actual civilization than any hub before it but didn't have as many objectives and goodies to collect as, say, Clock Town. It simply didn't meet my expectations because it is the only large and hospitable safe haven in the Sky and, as such, could have been executed on a grander scale.

The Wind Waker's Dragon Roost Island, Outset Island and Windfall Island were all decent hubs in and of themselves. I would have liked to see two or more of them in Skyward Sword. Otherwise, I think the Sky gets a lot more flak than it deserves because it's supposed to be empty and is great for calming your nerves after spending so much time in the condensed overworld below. As for Loftwings, those things kick ***, period. The whole ceremonial process for becoming a Knight and each individual having their own, unique Loftwing reminded me of the concept of bonding between the Na'vi and mountain banshee in the movie "Avatar".

mostly everything said here I agree with. I loved the loftwing, second best after Epona. It was fun to ride the loftwing, and it wasn't boring. The sky wasn't that great. Yea there were some islands where u could explore, but I wish it could have been big islands with caves around as big as the one in Skyloft, maybe bigger. There u could find the goddess cubes and such.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
im waiting for them to give you more than one form of travel in a game! the Loftwings were cool, i agree, but i miss the over world, there was NO over world, all you did was dive to the place you needed to be, which excluded all the cool things you could find in over worlds like OoT and TP, i like getting a new piece of gear and haveing an overworld to travel around to see where else i can go! that was the only crappy thing about SS sword; that lack of overworld! other than that the game was bad @$$. however i was really surprised that Gannon was not the one creepy dude was trying to revive, but Demise (Akuma) was sinister as hell. and its when i realized that they were starting and actual time line to the game. but im off topic.

Birds...Cool, sky in place of a huge overwold, FAIL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom