• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

HH's Literary Repository

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I've stored my writing on other Zelda-themed sites but so many of them are devoid of active participants that I've been thinking I need to find a new place to store my writings. This seems like an active community (plus I've had my eye on it for years) so hey, I'm going to set up a cot here and chill amongst a community of Zelda fans that are engaged and active.

Let's start off with a few haikus inspired by Oracle of Seasons. Haiku because they're ridiculously easy to turn out. Apparently (I'm certainly no expert), the original hokku was only the start of a poem but eventually became a stand-alone poetic quip. These haiku were supposed to include a word which referenced season, making Oracle of Seasons the perfect candidate. I've capitalized some season related words, it's actually harder than I thought it would be as English doesn't leave me with many options for seasonal words. Enjoy.

Holodrum summer,
The sun rising o're the Din,
Hearts Burn for freedom.

Autumn chills the air,
Leaves turn red and start to Fall.
Dash through the mushrooms!

Rivers freeze over,
White-hot embers in the hearth,
Winter settles in.

Blossoms Spring from buds,
A rod cracks against a stump,
The leaves fall again.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
A second movement of Oracle haiku, this time for OoA.

A sweet song carries,
Draws creatures both great and small,
And pure hearts and dark.

Time is fragmented,
Trees turn to seeds once again,
And seeds ask questions.

The rise of black spires,
Generations passing by,
Converse with the dead.

Speak with the unborn,
Heal Queen Ambi's broken heart,
End the present strife.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
These are really great! I look forward to seeing what else you've got stored away to share. (And you should keep an eye out for the next time we run a community writing competition.)

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
These are really great! I look forward to seeing what else you've got stored away to share. (And you should keep an eye out for the next time we run a community writing competition.)
I see you've won a few yourself!I think it would be fun to compete but unfortunately, my truly great works (and without being cocky, I do have a couple that I consider great) take FOREVER to write. For instance, I've been in the middle of an epic poem detailing Link's journey in Link's Awakening for close to a year! It's depressing and makes me envy those who are able to crank out better material than I in mere days what would take me months!

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
This is a poem I wrote in high school...man, I feel old. I like this one still, I would like to change some of it but I can't because it was a certain time of life.

The Justice of Blade

The slender blade rests upon the shelf,
It's edge so blunt and dull,
The blood is long since come and gone,
Like to its master's soul.

A thousand years have passed it by,
And in this house it rests,
A family heirloom to be passed down,
Its function since repressed.

The age of powder had taken it's place,
And made it obsolete,
Armies of thousands cut thousands more down,
With lead gone liquid with heat.

The sword itself thought long and deep,
Of where the passion fell,
For in its time a soldier's life,
Would not so cheaply sell.

It longed for the glory of steel and dance,
To be gripped by armored hands,
To be a tool of grace and truth,
Shine justice through the lands.

Once the sword of a noble knight,
It flashed and sang through the air,
Passing righteous judgement on those it struck,
Leaving evil in disrepair.

It remembered the taste of shield and blade,
And the victory of life's crimson red,
Showing swift justice it held nothing back,
As the few survivors fled.

And even now in the age of the gun,
The evil ones again did rise,
But without the test of metal and man,
Their victory was no great surprise.

They stole the lead from the farmer and clerk,
With intent to rule unopposed,
They melted their arms and took the men's rights,
Left defenseless or so they supposed.

Then the man who owned the house,
In which the sword was kept,
Took up the blade and cleansed the streets,
Bringing freedom wherever he stepped.

And in that late age of powder and gun,
One truth again stood tall,
Though weapons of battle may come and go,
The sword outlives them all.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I was reading through some other poetry today and thinking to myself how the writers were great and talented but the subject matter didn't move me. As I considered it, I though to myself about how much the artists reminded me of myself in my formative years and the way I wrote back then. This prompted me to sort my thoughts through a short poem. (As a side note, there's no disrespect meant to the authors whom I was reading, everybody has different muses and the poetry truly inspired me.)

Long ago, my hand penned verses,
Of lurid poetry,
The lines deject spoke words unchecked,
I thought were the real me.

Long ago, my mind bespoke,
Of anger, hurt, and pain,
No thing of light I deigned to write,
My better parts I'd slain,

Long ago, in years gone by,
The paper lied to me,
"If you've the will, mark me with your quill,
Your dark thoughts will set you free."

Long ago, but not so far,
My face turned toward the sun,
Its radiance freed me and now it precedes me,
Undoes the facade that I'd spun.

And long ago, this poet learned,
When his ink had found its mark,
This dour prose, the soul outgrows,
Making light more profound than the dark.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I see you've won a few yourself!I think it would be fun to compete but unfortunately, my truly great works (and without being cocky, I do have a couple that I consider great) take FOREVER to write. For instance, I've been in the middle of an epic poem detailing Link's journey in Link's Awakening for close to a year! It's depressing and makes me envy those who are able to crank out better material than I in mere days what would take me months!
I wouldn't say my writing is the greatest, but yeah, I've been lucky enough to win a few. I definitely understand taking your time with your writing. Entering the competitions here have actually helped me a bit with that. I tend to use them as writing exercises and a way to experiment a little with my style.

The new poems you've posted are also really great! Makes me want to try write something new myself.
what are the golden keys? also, I feel ya HH
Those are for an awards ceremony we hold once a year called the GKAs (Golden Key Awards). If you have any further questions on this, or other site operations, feel free to PM a staff member so threads stay on topic, OK? :)

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
This one I wrote quite a few years ago, after undergoing my literary transformation from depressed kid to well-adjusted adult. Again, there are plenty of things about it that I would like to change but I owe it to the reader to deliver it in its raw and original form.

The town's dark. It's these hours of the morning that get to me the most. The chill in the air gives me a sort of clarity yet the day past clouds my judgment as exhaustion hangs over every image. These insidious suggestions...who sowed them? I know I've no reason for sorrow, hurt, and depression. It's all melodrama. Loneliness is a slight stiletto though, easily slipped between the ribs of the unsuspecting to prod the heart. The town's dark. What an unsavory hour. The darkness is the playground of negative thoughts and suspicious Trojan feelings. They bide their time, being pleasant to look at but within, they are black and rotten. They'll spoil me from the inside, I knew all along not to let them in. These thoughts are a virus, a scourge that I chose to take upon myself. The town's dark. The darkness reflects my brooding. Discontent, apathy, restlessness, these are the night speaking to me. It twists my own words and splits my tongue, what a venomous bite I take on. But like a fire, the feelings burn hot and fast to presently snuff themselves out. Leaving a charred interior, dark as the night which brought it, the feelings die with my weary body. Lain to rest each dark eve and risen again on the morrow to embody hope, love, and peace. The town's dark. Here comes the morn.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I really like the flow of this one, although it's not entirely subtle.

What then, shall the light through silver sails strike, when the edge of the earth they meet? Billowed wide and bright as they are, will not the dark they meet? Though riggings lashed by mariners hands pull taught with jovial strain, and bow to stern, swabbed to polish reflect the sun, should it not the crew's fate share? Soul and vessel soak selfsame rain and radiance, and breeze and brine, and stained by a like wine, deep as deep. A rudder beneath turns with their stomachs, to and fro as stars and gulls meet their peril where the sea and sky unite. Heave tho they may and might, strain and fight, blue cliffs, green cliffs best will and course. And again, can plans and prows point differingly? The earth itself curls into and upon its breadth when the cusp of seas it meets, and cannot, by heav'nly law span the chasm beyond and far. How then, in hearts of man, deign they to cross that span, whilst the sea but carries them on, and presently itself goes no further out but goes down? Taken by it then, shall the seaman be swallowed under the earth, and his paltry construct of sticks and sheets, and kith and kin, beasts and men; the children of the earth, the earth eats.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I wrote these up for my D&D group so they're not impossible to figure out but they could be useful to someone if...oh, I don't know, they're...say, running a game of D&D.

The wind on my back should give me away, I'm not the real thing, I'm built for play.
Wind-up Toy. These are given to my players as text so they'll surely read "WIND" as blowing air instead of a crank. There's a joke in there somewhere but I'll let you find it.

Ask me exactly why ze gridlocked ordinance, get to the point, you'll have your _____.
Coordinates. "EXACTLY, WHY, ZE", get it? X, Y, Z. Get my POINT? "GRIDLOCKED" should turn the mind toward the answer as well. And ordinance was basically the only word I could get to rhyme with coordinates.

First, the cacophony, breaking the still. Next, the tumult, finality's will. Last, I'm cryptic, 'neath a rock or in a cave, all three bespeak me, and call me ____ ____.
The Grave. Too easy because the answer is sequitur in that it rhymes but still, my favorite riddle. "CACOPHONY", when pronounced, bears the word, "COFFIN", "TUMULT", the word, "TOMB", and "CRYPTIC", the word, "CRYPT". "'NEATH A ROCK OR IN A CAVE" are places for graves, all three in the preceding sequence (CACOPHONY, TUMULT, and CRYPTIC) speak to the answer. To get really esoteric, the word, "BREAKING" implies destruction, which hails in the answer, the word, "STILL" is a pun as a still is used to distill spirits (a double puntandre, punception) from fermented liquids, calling to mind death. "FINALITY" is obvious and "WILL" is obviously referring to a certain document. Anyway, this one is full to the brim with portent regarding the answer and I think it makes the resolution fulfilling.

When we met, you choose to follow me, but in time, I fell behind you. I made you the center of my very existence, and in that I've made you two.
"T". In the word "met", "T" follows "ME". In time, "I" falls after "T" "T" is the center of "EXISTENCE". In "THAT", there are two "T"s. This is obviously a rip-off (or adaptation?) of the oldest of riddles but I think it's the hardest of the four even so.

Last edited:

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
An ode to...what's an ode? The end of "hero mode"? Like Link, our mighty hero's fight in Ganondorf's abode? Yes, an ode could be a battle, butchering keese like cattle, our Hylian hero's brilliant eyes burning bright like Tatl. Or the moment a beast attacks just right, a hinox bomb or tektite bite, you swing your sword but utterly whiff the monster you strove to smite. And Majora's Mask, late that Sunday, you played all night, had school on Monday, your snores in class were that day's ode, as you mumbled "Remaining: one day". The strapless Wiimote you flung through the tube, your ponderings, "Why do Zora and Rito have boobs?". Assembling the requisite equipment and friends, multiplaying Four Swords, and pwning some noobs. Kondo's score: ode. Fan fiction: ode. Every note Cojiro crowed, each Game Shark code: an ode. T-ode-stools smelled sweet in Mysterious Woods, Garo expl-ode-d, hid beneath their hoods, and Gormans r-ode with pitchforks high, to smash Romani's goods. Whatever way your ode is styled, from LoZ to Breath of the Wild, let it always be known, that's it's yours alone, and by Zelda, remain beguiled.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom