• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask HELP: A List Of Cool Stuff In Majora's Mask

Caleb

Walkthrough Man
Hello everyone,

I don't spend much time on the forums, but I was hoping for a little help from all of you. :)

I'm in the midst of working on the Majora's Mask Video Walkthrough here at ZeldaDungeon and I feel fairly knowledgeable about the game. Majora's Mask is filled with all kinds of little tricks and interesting tidbits that make the game unique, such as the hidden Inverted Song of Time and Song of Double Time, but there's far more than just that in the depths of this world. Below I have a list of nifty things that I know of, and hopefully, you guys will be able to inform me of some I hadn't heard of before. I will edit the list and add them to it. Bear in mind, I am looking for things that are possible in a regular playthrough and am NOT looking for glitches per say (such as using the Bunny Hood to jump into Sakon's Hideout early or wearing the Fierce Deity's Mask outside a boss room). Thanks!

~ MASKS ~
Blast Mask: Use the shield to not take any damage.
Bremen Mask: Use it to parade dogs, chickens and the two Stalfos before fighting Igos du Ikana in Ikana Castle.
Captain's Hat: Wear it during the battle with Igos du Ikana for a humorous conversation. Additionally, when you use the Oath to Order atop the Clock Tower, you can wear the Captain's Hat to skip the cutscene that follows the Giants appearing. Thanks Random Person.
Stone Mask: Wear it to be ignored by Gerudo and Deku Patrols as well as enemies like Death Armos, Beamos, Black Boes, White Boes, Blue Bubbles and the Takkuri (thanks Hylian Knight). I'm sure there's probably more...
Mask of Scents: Wear it to find Magic Mushrooms in the Woods of Mystery and also in the Gorman Traveling Troupe's room in the pair of boxers!
Circus Leader's Mask: Wear it when guarding Cremia's milk on the way to Clock Town to keep the Gorman Brothers from attacking the wagon.
Bunny Hood: Wear it during the Postman's Timing game to see the timer the whole time. Thanks Nababusk.

~ ENEMIES ~
Blue Tektites: Use a Goron Pound (A + :cool: to flip them over, making them temporarily vulnerable.
Wolfos: Both the White and regular varieties can be killed easily by hitting them when their back is turned.
Blue Bubbles: Play the Song of Storms to blow away the Jinx curse.
ReDeads: Wear the Gibdo Mask, Garo Mask or Captain's Hat to make them dance harmlessly.
Dinofol: Die instantly when hit with the Goron Pound (A + :cool:.
Keese: When a Keese is no longer on (red or blue) fire, it will automatically fly into a nearby flame and relight (in Majora's Mask, this is only seen Beneath The Well).
Wizrobe: Real one appears as a red dot on your mini-map.
Eenos: Their snowballs do not hurt you while rolled into a ball (holding A) while wearing the Goron Mask. Simply roll up to them and use a Goron Pound (A + :cool: to defeat them quite easily.
Dodongos: Throw a Bomb in front of them and they'll swallow it and take damage (VERY hard to do). Additionally, you can ride into them on Epona or roll into them as a Goron to hurt them repeatedly until they die.
Snapper: These turtles can be flipped over with the Bombs or Blast Mask to make them vulnerable, as opposed to the rather enforced Deku Scrub + Flower approach.
Deku Guards: At night, you can "see" their line of sight. Thanks Cicabe.
Goht: You can stand in the entrance to avoid being hurt (except by Bombs). From here, you can shoot Fire Arrows at Goht when he passes and use the nearby jars (which reappear after a little while) to stock up on both arrows and magic. Thanks Thareous.
Skull Keeta: When you go back in time, you can fight "Captain Keeta" again and use the Captain's Hat to make the Stalchildren not attack you. You can also greatly slow Skull Keeta by using Light Arrows. Thanks Random Person.
Igos du Ikana: Avoid his flying-head-chomping-attack by rolling around the room with the Goron Mask or running in circles around him with the Bunny Hood. Simply hold left or right on the Analog Stick for awhile and he'll give up.

~ (QUICK) RUPEES ~
Sewers Chest: As soon as you enter (from Clock Town) swim off to the left and avoid the Skulltula. Use a Bomb or Blast Mask on the cracked wall to find a chest with a Silver Rupee (100).
Shooting Gallery Chest: Stand near the orange-capped-password-Bomber in East Clock Town and start running towards the Shooting Gallery. At the first jump, wear the Bunny Hood or Zora Mask to make it across, or simply roll before you jump to reach across. Jump along the targets and basket of the Honey & Darling Shop and round the corner to find a chest with a Silver Rupee (100).
Swamp Shooting Gallery: In the East side of the area just before Southern Swamp, you'll find the door to the Swamp Shooting Gallery. Just outside this door is a patch of bushes on an upper ledge that often have 10-65 Rupees. By going in and out of the door repeatedly, you can rack up the moolah like crazy!
Part-Time Worker In Tree: In southeast Termina Field, there's a guy who has climbed up into a tree near the Astral Observatory. Roll into the tree to knock him down along with 40 Rupees.
Song On The Wall: In northern Termina Field, on the wall along the ramp is a random Ocarina song engraved into the stone. (Face away from it to allow you to see it at the same time and) play it on your Ocarina to get ranging from 7 to 60 Rupees.
Bugs In The Wall: In Termina Field, you can use a Bottle of Bugs on the soft soil spot that's on the wall along the southern side of Clock Town to make a Purple Rupee (50) pop out.
Dodongos: Drop 50 Rupees when defeated. See enemy section above for tactics.
Takkuri: In Termina Field, near the entrance to Milk Road is a red dot on your map that marks the location of the Takkuri, an evil bird that steals your Rupees and items and takes them to the Curiosity Shop in West Clock Town. When defeated, it drops an Orange Rupee (200).
Light Arrows
: Some enemies drop a Purple Rupee (50) when killed with a Light Arrows. These include Blue Bubbles, Eenos, Guay, Iron Knuckles and I'm sure there's several more...
Selling Poes: After defeating a Poe or Big Poe, catch it in a bottle, then you can sell it at the Curiosity Shop for 50 Rupees and 200 Rupees each.
Killing The Dead: In the central room of Ikana Castle, there's four ReDeads that can be defeated for 15-20 Rupees each. You can wear the Captain's Hat, Garo's Mask or Gibdo Mask to make them dance harmlessly. Simply re-enter the room as many times as you like to make them reappear and fill up your wallet. This is even easier if you have hole blown through the ceiling and have the Mirror Shield, since you can simply walk past them and the reflection will kill them instantly. Thanks Sonicbowling.

~ GAMEPLAY ~
Quick Spin: Rotate the Analog Stick once and press B to perform a quick Spin Attack that doesn't cost Magic.
Roll Jumping: Jumping is based on speed. While not wearing a transformation mask or wearing the Zora Mask, roll just before leaving a ledge to gain extra jumping distance.
Height Jumping: By wearing the Zora Mask, you'll be taller and can thus reach higher ledges when jumping. It does not make you jump further, but can inadvertently allow you to get further because of this. This would not make a difference for things like the ice platforms. Thanks Din.
Spin Hopping: Press A just before leaving a ledge or lily pad while wearing the Deku Mask to zip across the water very quickly.
Hopping All The Time: Practically every time there's a body of water (such as in the Deku Shrine or just below the Hero's Grave on Snowhead) you can wear the Deku Mask to make these scenes much easier, rather than jumping across the obstacles.
Deku Stun: Spin with A (or blow bubbles on some enemies) to stun a ton of different enemies. This is particularly useful against: Dinofols, Pirates and Hiploops.
Deku Invisibility! Wear the Deku Mask to not be attacked by Gibdos or Moths (Woodfall Temple boss).
Zora Stun: While on the ground, press R + B to use the Electric Barrier when not swimming. This attack will kill weaker enemies, but stuns a lot of other enemies. This is useful to Z target and defend while moving closer to an enemy, purposefully touching them to stun them. Personally, I don't think this is very practical because the same enemies that it's good against (out of water anyway) are just as effective using the Deku Mask, which doesn't require magic...
Double Double Cutter! Charge up the B button while wearing the Zora Mask to shoot your fins, aka the Double Cutters, like boomerangs. At this point, you can take off the Zora Mask and put it back on again to charge up a second set of fins!
Swimmer's Reach: When in the water, put ON the Zora's Mask to briefly gain extra height before you fall into the water. Do this while swimming next to a ledge you normally couldn't reach and you may be able to grab on and pull yourself up. Thanks debbierocks.
Collect Goodies Quickly: Near any Owl Statue, you can slash the bushes to get fairies, arrows and Bombs in particular and re-enter the area to make them reappear. The best places to do this are Milk Road and Zora Cape. Thanks Master Sword13 and Din.
Lens of Truth Trick: Press the C button repeatedly very rapidly to not use any Magic power. Thanks NorthApple.
Soar To Entrance: When in any temple, you can use the Song of Soaring to warp back to the entrance (except when in a boss room). Thanks Sonicbowling.

~ MISC ~
Skulltula Dude: When looking through the telescope in the Astral Observatory, you can find the guy who appears in the Oceanside Skulltula House looking for shelter from the moon. Apparently, he's looking for a hole in Termina Field (and doing jumping jacks). You can see him off to the left in the tall grass and also atop one of the pillars on the right near the entrance to Ikana. Thanks knowlee.
Spirit House: Play the Song of Healing when in the Spirit House to lower the price before you fight the four Poe Sisters.
Pushing Up The Ceiling: In Ikana Castle, there's a room where you hit crystal switches to make the hot checker-board-pattered tile raise up for a short time. You have to run over and quickly use a Deku Flower to reach a platform with a switch. Here, you can simply get into a flower and let the ceiling fall on purpose, then simply shoot yourself into it to raise it back up again, making this room much easier.
Free Milk: Play Epona's Song for any cow to get a bottle of Milk.
Manipulate Time: Play each note of the Song of Time twice to move ahead to the next 6AM or 6PM and play the Song of Time backwards to slow down time to 1/3 that of normal or speed it back up again.
Saving Your Saves: Majora's Mask has two save slots. Save at an Owl Statue, then copy your save file to the other slot. Play on either one and if you mess up, simply go back, delete the first save file and copy it from the second. In this way, you can save and load from any point in the three day cycle.
Transform Faster: The first time you use a transformation mask, you are forced to watch the movie of Link screaming. After that, you can skip the movie by pressing any button.
Healing Signs: After slashing up a sign, play the Song of Healing to restore it to normal. Thanks blubb.
Unable To Heal The Dead: Play the Song of Healing for Sharp in the well in Ikana Canyon for an intriguing conversation. Thanks blubb.
Cremia's Hug: Protect Cremia's Wagon a second time for a rather suggestive "hug" as a reward. Thanks blubb.
Paper Airplane: Atop one of the pillars in Ikana Castle is a paper airplane. Thanks blubb.
Songs Return: In Zora Hall, Evan is playing the death/credits from the original LoZ, Japas is playing the dungeon theme from the original LoZ and Tijo is playing the cave theme from aLttP. Thanks blubb.
Gossip Stones Heal: Play the Song of Storms for any Gossip Stone to make a Fairy appear. Thanks Rytex.
Growing Magic Beans: Play the Song of Storms to make it rain rather than finding Fresh Spring Water.
Making "Them" Easier: When fighting "They," the aliens in Romani Ranch, you can play the Inverted Song of Time to slow time down, which makes them move incredibly slow. If you're having trouble with this quest, I highly recommend doing this.
Bomber's Hide: When playing Hide & Seek with the Bombers in East Clock Town, if you chase them near one of the wooden crates, they'll sneak under it and hide there until you break it open.
Kill Sakon: When helping the Old Woman From The Bomb Shop in North Clock Town at 12:00AM, you can hit the "Luggage" that Sakon stole directly with various weapons to make it explode along with the thief.
Mask Salesman's Masks: On the back of the Mask Salesman are several cameo masks such as a Mario mask! Thanks Rensch.
Mask Salesman's Comments: Speak with the Mask Salesman while wearing any mask to get an interesting response. Thanks Chikaru.
Beating The Goron Hero: Just after getting the Lens of Truth, you don't have to follow Darmani, simply warp to Mountain Village and climb up the wall. He'll be waiting for you in the grave. Thanks Sonicbowling.
Fearful Swordsman: Go to the Swordsman's School in West Clock Town on the Final Day and he'll have a sign out saying he's "on a trip" and not too look for him. Climb up and slash the board in the back to find a hidden room where he's hiding, scared of the moon. Thanks Sarianae.
Starfox Masks: The order (and design) of the second row of masks seems to be a Starfox cameo: Keaton Mask (Fox Mcloud), Bremen Mask (Falco Lombardi), Bunny Hood (Peppy Hare), Don Gero's Mask (Slippy Toad), Mask of Scents (Pigma).
Thanks gneithamer1.
Killing Bad Bats: If you talk to Dampe in the Graveyard on the Second Day, he explains that he hates bats and asks you to take care of them. If you kill all of them, he'll give you 30 Rupees as a reward. Thanks Onigame.
Postman's Letter: At 12:00AM on the Second Night, the Postman goes out and mails a letter to himself saying "You're doing a great job! Keep up the great work!" Thanks Onigame.

" Thanks Onigame.

Last edited:

Kazumi

chagy
One thing that I can add, I don't really know if it would be considered a trick or not, but here it is. At the beginning of a cycle, when you are going to go out and do things, or really any time that you need supplies like Arrows, Bombs and the like, there is a good tactic to get them without wasting Rupees or time. Simply use Goron Link's roll and do laps around Termina Field. You will get a lot of loot that way and it won't take much time out of your cycle, especially if you use the Inverted Song of Time.

I think I learned that from your text walkthrough actually...

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I can think of a few more. On the tree that is seen in Termina field at the entrance to the Southern Swamp where it shows in a cutscene the Skull Kid drawing on it, if you slash your sword at the drawing and hit it it'll spit out a couple of rupees.
Skulltula Dude: When looking through the telescope in the Astral Observatory, you can look off to the left to find the guy who appears in the Oceanside Skulltula House looking for shelter from the moon. Apparently, he's looking for a hole in Termina Field (and doing jumping jacks).
Also there's another one of those guys you can see through the telescope. Just look right and you'll see him on top of one of the pillars near the wall surrounding Clock Town.

Song On The Wall: In northern Termina Field, on the wall along the ramp is a random Ocarina song engraved into the stone. (Face away from it to allow you to see it at the same time and) play it on your Ocarina to get ranging from 7 to 60 Rupees.
I want to think that there's another one of these somewhere, but I can't think of it at the moment. Hmm...

EDIT: Also when you're looking through the telescope you can see the deku scrub businessman flying off away from Clocktown. I only think that this occurs though if you've already given him the Moon's Tear.

Last edited:
C

Connor

Great guide! I'll be sure to try some of them out as soon as I get started on MM again ;).

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
- I don't know if this is worth noting, but when you've cut down a sign with your sword you can play the Song of Healing to fix it again.
- If you use the Song of Healing instead of the Song of Storms on the Compother Brother in the well of Ikana Valley after being cursed by him, he'll say something that he cannot be healed any more (I don't remember the exact quote).
- If you play the wagon game with Cremia for a second time, you'll get a hug from her.
- You'll probably talk about this during the walkthrough anyway, but in case you forget it for some reason: In 2 of the Indigo-Go band member's rooms, songs from older Zelda games play: The Game Over music from LoZ and the Cave music from aLttP.
- I couldn't confirm this yet personally but I heard that there's a model of a paper plane on one of the pillars in the outside area of Ikana Castle (maybe some beta testing stuff they forgot to edit away?).

Caleb

Walkthrough Man
- If you play the wagon game with Cremia for a second time, you'll get a hug from her.
Ahh. I saw people talk about this repeatedly, but didn't understand how it came about.

- I couldn't confirm this yet personally but I heard that there's a model of a paper plane on one of the pillars in the outside area of Ikana Castle (maybe some beta testing stuff they forgot to edit away?).
Just checked. Sure enough. That's pretty sweet. =)

Killing Takkuri with the Stone Mask.
Kinda figures. I think I've actually done that before but forgot about it. Thanks!

Rytex

Resident Netizen
-If you play the Song of Storms by a Gossip Stone, it spits out a fairy, and it makes a good place to stock if you dont know where a good fairy fountain.

Regarding the Song on the Wall - the amount of rupees is apparently determined by how "correctly" you play the song. And I think I may have received only 3 rupees from it from time to time, but don't quote me on that.

Scythe-of-Chaos

I'm an assassin.... sshhh
AHH! I have an awesome thing that you can add to you list of tips and tricks for one of the enemies. first have the bremen mask. then when fighting the king of Ikana he will send out his two gaurds. once you burn the drapes off and they start to avoid you, whip out the bremen mask and use it. the gaurds will march for a bit allowing you a quick window of time to hit them with your sword/light. but here's the ultimate catch. the secret is if you get them close before you use it you can back flip and make them stumble into the light. very hard to pull off but is and instant kill.

Sonicbowling

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!!!
Easy rupees: Head into Ikana Castle with a mask that makes redeads dance (Gibdo Mask, Captain's Hat Etc...), and in the first room there are 4 of them. Kill them to get 15-20 rupees per redead, which adds up to 60 - 80 rupees per visit Exit and re-enter the first room as many times as you like as they will re-spawn Easiest way to collect rupees IMO

At the beginning of the game, when you meet the Happy Mask Salesman, check out the masks he has. While some of them are simply masks you can actually obtain in the game, a few one of them are rather odd. He also has a Mario mask, a mask that has the same frightened-looking face that you find on the Mirror Shield and there's even an Elvis Mask!

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
I don't know if this has already been posted or not, but to get easy fairies you can go to the Owl Statue near the Zora Hall or Milk Road and slash a certain pot/bush to get a fairy. You can then leave the area and come back to get unlimited fairies! Also, if you have the Romani Ranch Map, when you're fighting off THEM they can be seen on your map, the dog will move around and bark at the closest one of THEM, and it's FAR faster without the song of inverted time. Use the bunny hood, though, otherwise you might just fail.

Chiraku

Demon slayer
I don't really think these are worth it, but I'll put these on anyway.
-If you talk to the happy mask guy while wearing a certain mask, he'll comment on it, then nag you about finding majora's mask. He says a particularly interesting quote when you talk to him with the mask of truth (I can't remember what he will say)

-Various people will comment on the mask that you're wearing. This was supposed to be the original way of finding out where Kafei is, because people will say where they last saw him if you are wearing the mask.

I don't really think these are worth it, but I'll put these on anyway.
-If you talk to the happy mask guy while wearing a certain mask, he'll comment on it, then nag you about finding majora's mask. He says a particularly interesting quote when you talk to him with the mask of truth (I can't remember what he will say)

-Various people will comment on the mask that you're wearing. This was supposed to be the original way of finding out where Kafei is, because people will say where they last saw him if you are wearing the mask.

Din Akera

Sniper
I have a couple of my tricks to add.

This is mostly in regard to everyone's trouble with the time cycle, but my best tip is during playthrough, every time you find an owl statue for the first time. Open it, and play the song of time to reset to day one, then play the song of soaring and warp back to that owl statue. Most of them have item pots or plants right near them to make for easy refill of items too. I have found the best place to do refill is the owl statue outside Zora hall. You can break the pots one containing a fairy, another has arrows, another has bombs, and the last has magic. Then turn around and enter Zora's hall, turn around again and come back out and the pots are reset.

In regards to the redeads in Ikana castle and easy rupees. I found the easiest way to do it, is to ope the roof, as you do when playing through the castle and simply run between them with the mirror shield equipted but put away. The light reflects off the shield on your back as you run through and Link's back and forth movement of his shoulders as he runs gives the perfect angles to kill each of them instantly with one hit of light. (This is true of all redeads that I have found, light is an instant kill)

Mentioning transforming faster, you do not have to push C twice, you can push any button other than start to skip the cutscene. I personally use A as it is most comfortable to me. :)

The bunnyhood not only makes you run faster, but also run farther. And in my opinion this is a myth, but most people I have talked to say that the you can jump farther as a Zora than as Link.

The fastest way I have found to kill Takkuri is 6 fire arrows (I have never used the stone mask, i hadn't thought of that!).

That is all I have off the top of my head, but i'll come add more if I think of more. ^^ And I certainly did learn things I didn't know about. :clap: awesome Caleb

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom