• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heart Pieces - What's the Appropriate Count Per Container & Changes to How They Work

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is a small thread with a bit of potential, but I've an immediate question: what do you feel is the appropriate number for heart pieces to make a whole Container? Why?

And as an extension of that, do you feel that Heart Pieces could use some extra tweaking as to how they work? Perhaps how they're acquired?

I'm a traditionalist and believe four pieces of heart should compose a heart container. I wasn't a fan of TP's break from tradition because it appeared an artificial method to lengthen the adventure.

There don't need to be any drastic alterations to the acquiring of heart pieces but I'd like to see less easily obtainable ones such as finding one by bombing a destructible wall as well as heart pieces which require you to defeat an overworld enemy such as slaying the Peahat in Southern Swamp.

hylianordonlink

The Hero Of Ordon
I think that heart pieces should be at 4, for the 4 chambers of the heart(is that right?)
Also, heart pieces are fun to find but maybe should be hidden more often. Not in the open. Unless they make it hard to get to.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Hmmm

Even though i like the collection aspect in Twilight Princess, I thought it was a bit of a burden finding 5 pieces to complete a full heart container :/ This made finding a single HP not as an important find as it would be in other Zelda games as you know you will have to find a further 4 to complete the Heart Container!

However I think Skyward Sword got it completely wrong! There wasn't enough emphasis on finding HP in this game and the fact that you could find Heart Medals made no sence to me what so ever! I think MM got the right balance...Even though there was a lot oh HP to find it made it a task, if you took the time to complete many SQ you would be rewarded with more Heart Container's and sijce there was only 4 dungoens, the game kind of pushed you to go out the way in order to find more Heart Containers.

The problem is that MM only had 4 dungeons so it had room to have more HP throughout the world and tbh I wouldn't like to substitute Dungoens just for more HP's, however maybe some Zelda bosses shouldn't give out heart Container's to resolve this problem...But to answer your question I think 4 HP's should be the ideal amount to fill a Heart Container :)

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
Well, overall how it usually works is 4 Heart Containers

tumblr_lzt4z6XFr11qh8t5wo2_100.gif

Make up 1 Heart Piece

tumblr_lzt4z6XFr11qh8t5wo1_100.gif

However in Twilight Princess they decided to change this up and have 5 Heart Pieces make up 1 whole Heart Container instead, I am not entirely sure why Nintendo decided to go with 5 that time around, suppose they just came up with more ways to have them be gained. To answer your questions though, I kind of feel that 3 heart Containers making up one Heart Piece would be better, just the whole tri thing Zelda has going on makes me say that. Like, there are three pieces of the Triforce so why not three pieces of a Heart Container as well? Overall that's just what I think though, if they were to stick with 4 pieces make a whole I wouldn't freak out or anything. As for how Heart Pieces are acquired, I would honestly like to see less of them being rewards from mini-games, I mean sure they've often been linked to the mini-games but some people who wanna 100% a Zelda game may find it irksome when they need a heart piece from a mini-game they suck at. I know I was just not willing to get the Heart Piece from Pumpkin Pull in Skyward Sword myself, it was just too tedious in my opinion.

Last edited:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I preferred the way Twilight Princess handled Heart Pieces, by making it take 5 to complete a Container. It allowed us to have a reasonable number of Heart Pieces to find to off-set the high number we got from the number of bosses in the game.

I was very disappointed with the way Skyward Sword went back to 4 Heart Pieces, especially since, with starting on 6 Containers and the Heart Medallions, there were only 24 Pieces in total, the lowest number in the entire series besides Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages/Seasons. One greivance with TP's Heart Pieces was how many of them were plainly visible and SS did the same thing which just further undermined a classic and usually long side-quest.

I would prefer the series to return to Heart Containers being split into 5. Hiding them better would be a good step forward now but another option would be to have more side-quests and mini-games. I think I'd like that.

i like 5, not only does that mean there is more to find but it means the methods of finding them will most likely range quite interestingly. Like in TP there was always a chest to be opened and this constant gaining really worked for me i felt powerful very quickly and as if i were good at the game because chests kept popping up, then i'd find them out in the field which would always be a nice surprise, then there'd be sidequests. I really loved how TP handled the extra heart pieces and five is a good number.

MW7

I preferred the way Twilight Princess handled Heart Pieces, by making it take 5 to complete a Container. It allowed us to have a reasonable number of Heart Pieces to find to off-set the high number we got from the number of bosses in the game.

I was very disappointed with the way Skyward Sword went back to 4 Heart Pieces, especially since, with starting on 6 Containers and the Heart Medallions, there were only 24 Pieces in total, the lowest number in the entire series besides Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages/Seasons. One greivance with TP's Heart Pieces was how many of them were plainly visible and SS did the same thing which just further undermined a classic and usually long side-quest.

I would prefer the series to return to Heart Containers being split into 5. Hiding them better would be a good step forward now but another option would be to have more side-quests and mini-games. I think I'd like that.

This is exactly how I feel as well. Collecting heart pieces is always one of my favorite sidequests in Zelda games. Each of those three factors that reduced the potential number of heart pieces in Skyward Sword taken separately aren't a big deal, but to have them all together in one game at once really bothered me. I also wish heart pieces were better hidden, and I think it would be cool if they required puzzle-solving on a regular basis rather than just the ability to find them randomly. I do think that if they further increased the number of heart pieces for a heart container that eventually I would get annoyed at how they would feel devalued. However, I really liked the move from 4 to 5 heart pieces; maybe it wouldn't start annoying me until they got up to 7 or 8 pieces per heart container.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity

4 is the ideal number with no heart medallions. I just wish they were less about finding and more about completing the battle or challenge to complete them. You see good examples of this in TP and MM. I get frustrated when there are like two I can't find anywhere. I also think it would be cool to have a boss reveal four heart pieces that get scattered all over the dungeon you were just in. This gives dungeons added meaning to those dedicated players who enjoy dungeons and playing something twice, as long as it doesn't get repetitive.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I prefer 5 heart pieces to a container. It feels more rewarding to get the final of a set and it leads to more sidequests, assuming they aren't placed in plain sight and are actually hidden through either sidequests or their physical locations.

LANZZ

Scarecrow
I prefer four Pieces of Heart, like in many other Zelda games. More than or less than four is not suitable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom