• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Hardest Dungeon in Ocarina of Time?

I have a group of friends and we have always discussed which dungeon is the most difficult in the original Ocarina of Time (not master quest). My personal opinion would be the Water Temple, mainly because of all the water level changing you have to do becomes annoying, but that is one of the many features of a zelda game. Anyway, we agreed to post this on a forum to see peoples opinions, so lets hear them! and a short description why, just a sentence or two, dont need an essay or anything :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MW7

All the adult dungeons are comparable in difficulty I think. I'd say the hardest is probably either the Water Temple or the Spirit Temple. The Water Temple is hard in that it's easy to miss a key, but with patience anyone can beat it. The Spirit Temple has Iron Knuckles which can be difficult when playing through the game for the first time, and Twinrova isn't an easy boss to figure out. Spirit is probably the hardest overall followed by Water, Shadow/Forest, and Fire.

I think it's interesting though that you can make most of the adult dungeons harder by setting restrictions on yourself- Fire is harder without the goron tunic, Water is slightly harder without the zora tunic, Shadow is a lot harder without the Lens of Truth, and Spirit is slightly harder without the Hover Boots. If you do Shadow without the Lens of Truth, then that is easily the hardest dungeon.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
If you do Shadow without the Lens of Truth, then that is easily the hardest dungeon.
^ This. Trust me, it's a nightmare! (No pun intended)

Although, under normal circumstances the hardest dungeon for me would be the Spirit Temple. The dungeon itself is not bad, not bad at all, but I hate the boss. They're just a little frustrating, especially the first phase. Half the time I can't keep both of them in sight. The second form is better, in my opinion.

None of the other dungeons have a boss that ticks me off as much. The hardest dungeon, as in the dungeon itself, is the Shadow Temple but it's not as bad as the Spirit Temple's boss. All of the other dungeons and their bosses are not nearly as bad.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
For me it's the Fire Temple. I hate Torch Slugs, and I died while fighting Volvagia like 7 times!!!

Water Temple, for sure. Its not really difficult though, it's just extremely annoying:
water up - water down - water up -> forgetting a key -> water down etc.
Shadow Temple just gives me shivers and I really like the Spirit Temple, so I'll go for the Water

Link8150

The 8150th Link
The Fire Temple is the only dungeon where I haven't completely memorized when to go into what room, so I'd say it's the hardest dungeon, although overall OoT is a fairly easy game.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
The Water Temple is the hardest in my opinion. It's not the hardest gameplay-wise, but definitely the most confusing and frustrating dungeon in the game. The boss was really easy though.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Am I the only one who thinks the Forest Temple was the hardest? Lots of keys to be missed, especially the one far up in the first room. And then the constant (un-)twisting of that hallway. Plus I hated the Stalfos when I first played the game, a normal slash does 1 and a charged one 2 hearts of damage and I had only 7 or 8 back then. Or the two that had to be killed quickly after each other. And I first also didn't know that you can camp in the triforce corners during the boss battle to avoid some of Phantom Ganon's attacks.
On more recent playthroughs, I always get the Biggoron's Sword before the Forest Temple, helps a lot against the Stalfos.

Austin

Austin
It's hard to say because I haven't played in a while, but I remember that the Shadow Temple was definitely the hardest for me the first time I went through Ocarina of Time. Something about the atmosphere and layout of that place just makes it so intimidating and difficult to get through. The room immediately beyond the first, past the gap you need the hover boots to cross, was an incredibly large empty room with lots of black space and no platforms. That room really frightened me at first just because it appeared challenging in a way no other room in the game had been so far. Given that it was one of my first Zelda games and that I wasn't used to the series yet I remember feeling as though I'd never be able to beat it, and I believe I actually gave up for a bit before returning to the game and finally finishing it. Although nowadays I'm no longer intimidated by it, I still find it a bit difficult. It's one of the few dungeons I actually have to watch my health in.

The Water Temple was difficult at first as well, but not in the same way. It was more generally complex and annoying than frightening. I don't think that place would have been considered so hard if the Iron Boots had been a C item originally and if there was an easier way of changing the water level. Those two parts were by far the most annoying, and contributed to a lot of frustration for me at least. However, beyond that it wasn't super difficult, and I believe the difficult was nerfed slightly in the 3DS version.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I would agree that the Water Temple was the toughest dungeon in the game, especially the first time I played through it. It was very confusing because it was difficult to remember where to change the water level, where I needed to have the water level to reach certain areas, and to remember the locations of certain keys. There was one in particular that was easy to overlook. This key is in the central chamber, and you have to access it by going underneath the block that rises with water level, by using the Iron Boots.

On top of this, it was easy to get rooms confused with each other, fall into the wrong places, and just generally get lost. So many things were hidden, or required a specific sequence of behaviors that wasn't obvious. There were things that could only be reached with the Longshot, leading you to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to reach them with the Hookshot not knowing this.

Finally, there was the boss Morpha. If you didn't know how to attack it, or where to stand, it was very difficult to win. I figured it out quite quickly, but a lot of people online seem to struggle with beating it.

OoT3DS made the game a bit easier by marking the places where you raise and lower the water level, and I think the cutscenes illustrate more, there are more video hints, and Navi may or may not give more hints as you go through the dungeon. It also fixed the annoyance of having to pause the game to switch between the Iron Boots and Kokiri Boots, another complaint that people had.

Last edited:

Kazumi

chagy
I agree with Austin in saying that the Shadow Temple was the most difficult of the bunch on my first playthrough of the game. They layout of that place was confusing, and being quite young, I was pretty frightened while doing it. I remember not wanting to do it for the longest time, simply because I was scared of it. However, I finally did get around to doing it, and soon found out that it wasn't really that difficult. It was mostly just very intimidating, as was stated above. Once I got over the intimidation factor, the dungeon wasn't that much of an issue. The enemies in it were still pretty tough though, and even are to this day.

I didn't have to much of an issue with the Water Temple on my first playthrough. It was mildly confusing, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I did miss that one key the first time like pretty much everything else, but I didn't have to much of an issue going back and finding it. The boss of the Water Temple was probably the most annoying to me, primarily because of that really annoying room with the spikes right before it, and because I didn't know any of the good strategies to beat the boss on my first run through. Really, the Water Temple was annoying, not difficult.

As for the Spirit Temple, which is often cited as one of the other most difficult dungeons in the game, I didn't have any troubles with this either. Yes, the enemies were pretty tough, but nothing that I couldn't handle. Even fighting Iron Knuckles as a child wasn't that difficult, as they were really slow. Having to get in close to them could be a problem, but really it wasn't that difficult. I don't really remember any issues that I had with any puzzles in that dungeon either. I remember it being challenging, but nothing to difficult or annoying like the previous two dungeons. It was fun, however.

Djinn

and Tonic
I would have to say the Shadow Temple, it was the only temple in the game that had me looking up maps online just to find out where to go. It was not really more difficult in that it was hard or the enemies were too tough for me to fight. It was the fact that it was some nightmare funhouse filled with various blade traps and invisible walls and doors. It had me backtracking over and over again just trying to find out where I was supposed to go next before I remembered to just use the lens of truth to look around and find the hidden doorways. Overall it made for the most frustrating experience when playing and it was probably the temple that took me the longest to get through the first time around. Even now I still hate having to go through it and consider it a chore.

Every other dungeon was much more straightforward and gave me few troubles. I could eventually figure them all out on my own without need of looking up a walkthrough. Which I normally avoid doing unless I reach a point where I have no idea how to continue going. I never just read walkthroughs when playing a game normally. Even the water temple was not as difficult, only annoying in it's application.

Water Temple was a bit confusing, but I don't think any dungeon compares to the Inside the Great Deku Tree. Contained within its depth were puzzles unlike any other. And not to mention that boss, I don't even know how I beat it. All of the other dungeons pale in comparison.

I think the hardest dungeon in Ocarina of Time is the great deku tree mainly because when I first got the game I couldn't figure out how to break the cobweb :lol: I know its kinda sad but everyone has there opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom