• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Graphics

No, no, no. It would need to be violent with some first person shooter elements remember?!

Heh, you guys are pretty good with that. While the PS360 systems do seem to lean that way a vast majority of the time, I would like to point out that there are some great works of art for those systems as well. Soul Calibur 4 mixes excellent visuals and a great soundtrack for some very in depth and strategic game play. I could also say the same for Prince of Persia.

This isn't saying you guys are wrong, because I completely agree. The two "bigboy" systems seem to be full of rehashed concepts, on top of the violence and mature ratings it needs to be "hardcore". But just remember that not everything is like that, and there are some real masterpieces to be found there.

hsb39

Why so logical?
Heh, you guys are pretty good with that. While the PS360 systems do seem to lean that way a vast majority of the time, I would like to point out that there are some great works of art for those systems as well. Soul Calibur 4 mixes excellent visuals and a great soundtrack for some very in depth and strategic game play. I could also say the same for Prince of Persia.

This isn't saying you guys are wrong, because I completely agree. The two "bigboy" systems seem to be full of rehashed concepts, on top of the violence and mature ratings it needs to be "hardcore". But just remember that not everything is like that, and there are some real masterpieces to be found there.

There are certainly some exceptions, I'm surprised that the concept of Dead Rising didn't catch on, I'd love to see Miyamoto try it (being able to use everything around you).

Linky

King of Twilight
Gameplay is more important to me than graphics, but I like to have a game pretty balanced on both, I don't want the graphics to be so bad I feel embarassed looking at the screen. But if the graphics are too good that normally means the gameplay/ storyline is lacking. And everyone now a days seems to be spoiled over graphics, like they'll look at a Old zelda game or metriod game and they automaticly dump it without even playing it just because the graphics aren't amazing.

Steve

5/19/13
Graphics are an important thing for me, but it all has to do with the sort of game it is. The other thing to note is that good graphics does not mean the gameplay will be horrible. Games such as Little Big Planet and Assassin's Creed have wonderful graphics, but at the same time, I find them to be quite enjoyable experiences, in some cases more than the majority of the Wii. It is important to know that graphics are not the only thing that makes a game good something that the majority tends to think, because the gameplay and music are much more important in the long run.

Nonetheless, you should not say that graphics are meaningless if the technology is there. It is like saying you could care less if we lived in a polluted wasteland of a world, than a green and plentiful one, because that is the basic just of it. If the ability to create a beautiful landscape is there, then they should not hesitate to do so, because scenery is a very important aspect in gaming as well.

hsb39

Why so logical?
A little bit of a change of topic, but I want to mention how the style of graphics can dramatically improve gameplay. WW added to the cheerful tone. Megaman 9 was perfect for its style. Probably the best example that I can think of is the WiiWare Defend You Castle. Everything about the game is just so perfectly funny. Graphics dubbed down and... funny. A bread packet sealer thingy is your cursor, there are giants with Pepsi heads, guys holding giant Paddle Pop sticks, and the background is done like a school diorama. The sound also aces it, no music, and all sound effects are done some guy making funny noises (the explosions are the best), and the gameplay is just perfect, never lauged so much. That is in my opinion one of the best examples of the graphic style both aiding the game greatly and NOT being realistic.

jugglaj91

I am me....
This is one subject I never got. Why do people put so much emphasis on graphics. Obviously you don't want to look at a crappy game that hurts your eyes, or even a great game but hurts to much too look at. I do believe in Gameplay > graphics, but in a sense it has to be able to be looked at for a few hours at a time or else i won't stay interested no matter how good the story is.

My main thing is why people care about HD so much. So now the pretty games look prettier (lol prettier). There will always be crappy games no matter what, and i hope in 10 years or so maybe the AVGN can really show us the error in these games people love so much today.

Ikana

Trollkastel
It has to have a good storyline,good game play, then the good graphics.But hey thats my opinion and many people want the good graphics to come first.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I never care about the graphics in video games. It's the gameplay that is most important and the music. I also like playing NES games a lot even though their graphics are primitive. Twilight Princess for example is critisized for it's graphics though I personally thought the graphics were great. Nowadays, it seems people are much more concerned over a game's graphical appeal than how fun the game is. Halo 3, for example is praised for it's great graphics, though in terms of single-player gameplay I've heard that there wasn't much to it (I don't own the game.)

Actually HALO 3's gameplay is very great, at least in my opinion. But I do have to agree with you, TP's graphics were really good I thought.

Realistic graphics do not equal good graphics. Graphics I do feel are important to the game. The style of the graphics are important to the overall theme of the game. Now that I have said that I would like to repeat that just because a game does not look realistic does not mean it has bad graphics. There are games for the NES and the like that have amazing and beautiful graphics.

I think that graphics are important, they can really enhance the game. But it's not the most important thing. I would buy a game with SNES graphs without even thinking if its gameplay is good and the game is really funny.

But more than the graphics quality, what matters more is the artistic style! For example: even with outdated graphs, Ookami and Metroid Prime stands out because of its creative style, being for looking like a old japanese drawing or for having realistic elements (like the breathing of Samus and her reflection in her helmet, as someone has has already said) without having the best graphics ever.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Graphics can be important, but "good" graphics can change amongst people. Like Joseph said, 'realistic graphics do not equal good graphics'. In my opinion, SMG's graphics are much better than Halo's. I mean, I'd take MM's graphics over Halo's. :P
Certain games, again, in my opiion, can pull off realistic graphics, while others cannot. For many games, I think the best bet is to try and find a balance between realism and cartoon.
I do think with some people it's becoming a problem with choosing games based on graphics and not gameplay, but I'd say that as long as there's still people out there who do rather the gameplay that there's nothing to 'worry' about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom