• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Graphics"

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
I hear all these people say they don't like the ghraphics on mm and oot. I don't really care for the graphics just the game story and stuff. It gets annoying when I hear people say I wont play this game cause graphics are terrible.

I bet in 10 years you will say the same thing about tp or ph or ww

Yeah, they need to learn how technology works... the graphics back then were jaw droppingly gorgeous at the time of release.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
The one thing that I've disliked about reviews for the Virtual Console is that people have a tendency to give poor ratings for graphics based on current standards. I do agree that games from that era didn't hold up as well graphically but you can't be judging them based on what the 360, PS3 or even the Wii can do now.

Though I think we have gotten to the point where 3D graphics will hold up better in the future when compared to next gens. Much like how many people still find SNES games still hold up very well.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I do think the the graphics of the two Zelda titles on the Nintendo64 were great at the time. Compared to other N64 titles, they were really amazing. That being said, the 3d gaming world has seen such advancements in the graphics department that I can clearly see the aging in place.

Especially since these were the first 2 Zelda titles in 3d. A game like Link to the Past has aged better in my opinion than Ocarina of Time, and a lot of that is because of graphics. 2d titles (unless we are talking about the Atari) all have the usual graphics. I don't think there are big jumps in graphics from one SNES game to another, but there are big jumps in N64 games.

There really were some crappy looking titles on the N64. All in all, Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask were two of the best looking N64 titles but in my view, are beginning to see some real signs of aging, graphically. Still not something that is going to get me to stop playing them though.

Chidori

Mongrel
You know... If you actually lived in the 64 bit Era, you would know the graphics for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were ****ing amazing compared to a lot of games. They aren't on the top 5 but hell they are still great. There is a lot of detail in the background/sky and it's really appealing to look at. I mean compare it with Final Fantasy 7, Sony's big Launch title for the Playstation, Cloud has the physique of Popeye.

However, this topic seems to have somehow changed into a conversation about whether graphics make a game good... *Sigh*. Graphics *do* make a game better, I'm all willing to play a game with crap Graphics (for the certain console) as long as the Gameplay is enjoyable, it just won't end up being my favorite game though. I prefer well... *acceptable* graphics and a brilliant story along with awesome gameplay.

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Haha, OoT looked beautiful back in the day. "He's even blinking with his eyes!", that's what my parents said when they first saw the game. I still think OoT has really nice lighting effects though, and MM's are even better. Actually, I kinda missed that in TP.

linkman8

True and Noble
Well the various lighting effects are sort of taken for granted in the newer games if you think about it. No one pays that much attention to lighting effects, but in truth, that's all the graphics are in the system nowadays. Let me explain.
Think about playing a 360, and imagine it being in HD. Woohoo. Now, imagine how the lighting makes everything so realistic. Now imagine it all disappearing; no lighting at all. Then what do we have? I couldn't even imagine what it would look like, so essentially graphics nowadays with HD are made up of almost entirely of lighting effects.

G

Glided Sword

Graphics don't make a game: the gameplay does. The graphics just make everything look more realistic and just show detail. The graphics aren't the best but the gameplay is.
I find the graphics in A Link to the Past pretty good, even though it is pretty old and I found the Twilight Princess graphics good as well with detail and such.
Either way, graphics don't make a game.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Graphics don't make a game: the gameplay does. The graphics just make everything look more realistic and just show detail. The graphics aren't the best but the gameplay is.
I find the graphics in A Link to the Past pretty good, even though it is pretty old and I found the Twilight Princess graphics good as well with detail and such.
Either way, graphics don't make a game.
I really agree with Gilded Sword. Heck, my standards are based on console. Like, I say that Super Smash Bros. Brawl has the best for the Wii, yet Halo 3 for the 360. I can't say anything right now for the PS3, but whatever. Graphics just make the game pleasing to look at. If a game looks horrible (as in Superman 64 horrible), people will play it, yet not for long due to watching bad graphics. Yet games also have graphic styles. Maybe the game was deliberatly designed to be not as good, such as The Wind Waker. I love the graphics, and you can tell they weren't going for realistic. If you thought they were going for real, you are horribly mistaken. Yet some consoles push for realistic graphics on limited parts, such as the N64 and the Wii. I'm just saying that some graphics are deliberatly lower quality, or just what it meets for the console's standards. Yet some people take the standards and push it to the next generation (I would like to see those!). Like expecting to see something that looks like detailed like a Pixtar or a Dreamworks film, it ain't gonna happen for a few years. Just LIVE WITH THE GRAPHICS YOU GOT!!

Last edited:

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
Whatever person or group started grouping "good graphics" as being "realistic" should have been brought out to the back and shot or at least banned from gaming.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Whatever person or group started grouping "good graphics" as being "realistic" should have been brought out to the back and shot or at least banned from gaming.

While I don't think they should be 'shot' or 'banned from gaming', I do understand the point here and I agree with it.

To me, The Wind Waker is the best graphiced Zelda game and one of the best graphiced games of all time. The game is so far from being realistic, yet to me, it's still an absolutely brilliant looking game.

Kybyrian

A true Zelda fan shouldn't just play it for the graphics, of course. I must admit, though, the graphics were pretty cool in Twilight Princess. It doesn't make me like it any better or the other games any worse of course. The Zelda games are good, with excellent graphics or not. I think a too realistic Zelda game would actually be slightly odd.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
While I don't think they should be 'shot' or 'banned from gaming', I do understand the point here and I agree with it.

To me, The Wind Waker is the best graphiced Zelda game and one of the best graphiced games of all time. The game is so far from being realistic, yet to me, it's still an absolutely brilliant looking game.

You are probably right but it just bugs me that way too many people think this way.

My favorite graphics from last gen were generally of the cel-shaded variety. Along with The Wind Waker, I'd include Okami, Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7 as my favorites of last gen with Katamari Damacy rounding out the group.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
the most important thing about games is the playability,the puzzles and else,if they make you think and thrill you.
C'mon TLoZ(the original one)still rockz a lot and has crappy graphics now

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
8-bit are far from today's graphics, yet I got four NES games on my Wii, and they kick ***! One of them is Zelda (stupid 4th dungeon!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom