• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Girls in Call of Duty: Ghosts

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
As was made known in the MP global reveal trailer (at 8:28), you can now have a female playable character in the multiplayer portion of Call of Duty:Ghosts. There are tons of questions that can be asked but I'll leave it up to you guys to ask more than the following three.

1) What are your thoughts?
2) Will you be using a female playable character in CoDGhosts?
3) Do you find the lack of female representation in "realistic" shooters appalling? Is Battlefield 4's lack of female playable characters something to be worried about - perhaps sexist?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Let's go through these points, then.

1) I think it's a good move. There's no real negative repercussions to it bar more variety, so there's not like I could even think of anything negative as to why this shouldn't be done. As long as she's not going to walk out onto the battlefield in a camo bikini and keeps mags in her cleavage, instead be dressed appropriately like a soldier, zipper pulled up all the way as well, then, I have no problem with it, regardless of how much of a spectacle that'd be! It's a nice additional feature, nice for the fans and so I've got no qualms at all. Thanks Treyarch!

2) I will, yes, if I get the game.

3) Not appalled, but, perhaps disappointed, yeah, a little bit. I don't think it's sexist really, the crowd these games are aimed at will accept all male soldiers more easily for quite a few reasons, differing between age groups, but yeah, it'd nice to just have female characters and have them just be on par with everyone else, and not some kind of token thing. It's nice to at least be mildly represented in a game. I'm not massively fussed on it, but, it's something I'd like to see more of, yeah. Why not, eh.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I don't know, I think the dog was the most exciting thing this game had going for it. But, this is good news and I hope more games continue the trend of having women in it. Other than that, Call of Duty is still Call of Duty and I could care less.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
1) It is a fun/stupid move, will be nice for a change shooting female soldiers as opposed to male ones all the time. Like Mercedes said though, if this is just going to be some cheap attempt at attracting horny 12 year olds and perverts with cleavage that came straight from a soldier's sex fantasy, then no. (which is what will probably happen)

2) I'll have both female and male, gotta have some variation. As a female at least I'll be able to buy myself a few seconds if some kid manages to sneak up on me. He won't be able to resist my character's looks and will automatically stare at her for a few seconds before shooting, by that time he'll have a respawn screen.

3) What I think is happening is that BF4's devs aren't greedy/desperate enough after the certain audience that would play the game mainly for female soldiers. I actually think this wouldn't disencourage girls to play their game since if they got a huge boost in players simply because of a playable female character then that means more immature players who are lurking in the voice chats that are bound to harass gamer girls.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I'm indifferent on the matter. It's not sexist to target your game to the male demographic. I don't think it's really that serious an issue. I mean it is just a game, but i do know one thing.

Man or woman, I shall smite you on my quest for total domination of the Team Deathmatch.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
1) What are your thoughts?
2) Will you be using a female playable character in CoDGhosts?
3) Do you find the lack of female representation in "realistic" shooters appalling? Is Battlefield 4's lack of female playable characters something to be worried about - perhaps sexist?

1) I could care less except that I do think to some extent, it'll cause problems. Sadly when I'm playing CoD and at least one girl in the lobby has a mic (you can tell by their voice or the PSN ID) the rest of the male players with mic will relentlessly harass said female player, asking for sexual favors and pictures, or asking them to go on a date or where they live. I feel like female players will be more easily identified in this game if they choose to use a female avatar, which may lead to harassing on females who don't use mics or have a female screen name (I say this because those who use something like GamerGirl, GirlPlayer, etc. are often female players) through PMing and unwanted Friend Reqs.

2) I'll be using Male, though I really doubt I'd have a problem about using female. I'm honestly more disturbed at the fact that Treyarch seems to want to make CoDGhosts into CoDSims, when the players really are gonna worry more about shooting the enemies and less about what they look like. CoD is a an FPS, not dressup.

3) In this day and age, with the fact that in the US (and I'm sure some other countries) women are allowed in active service and frontline combat, I'd say that the exclusion of females in the game could be considered sexist, but honestly, I've never heard a girl gamer say "Gee, I wish that I could have an anatomically correct avatar, whose only appendages I can see are the forearms and hands, while I'm blasting the brains out of enemy combatants with this shotgun." To me, it seems more like an attempt to avoid the appearance of sexism, in a game where the idea doesn't readily spring forth while playing. Not saying that the thought is a bad one, but it seems unnecessary.

Man or woman, I shall smite you on my quest for total domination of the Team Deathmatch.

Come at me bro. 1v1 knives :P

1) I could care less except that I do think to some extent, it'll cause problems. Sadly when I'm playing CoD and at least one girl in the lobby has a mic (you can tell by their voice or the PSN ID) the rest of the male players with mic will relentlessly harass said female player, asking for sexual favors and pictures, or asking them to go on a date or where they live. I feel like female players will be more easily identified in this game if they choose to use a female avatar, which may lead to harassing on females who don't use mics or have a female screen name (I say this because those who use something like GamerGirl, GirlPlayer, etc. are often female players) through PMing and unwanted Friend Reqs.

True, but there's a thing called a mute/block button that one can press and simply ignore them. She doesn't have to deal with immature prepubescent boys and perverted guys. There's also some tough girls out there that verbally own some of those retards.

1) As for me, I actually like the idea. Activision is actually acknowledging their female audience, and let me tell you there's actually a lot more girls out there than you think. Still a small population but a lot more girls play CoD more than any other shooter since it's so easy to get into. There's a lot of girls that I personally know that play the series, and they always use pink camos and cute customization options, so enabling girls to play as a female character will definitely make them happy. :)

2) No, but I know my cousins/friends would.

3) Not appalled, but, perhaps disappointed, yeah, a little bit. I don't think it's sexist really, the crowd these games are aimed at will accept all male soldiers more easily for quite a few reasons, differing between age groups, but yeah, it'd nice to just have female characters and have them just be on par with everyone else, and not some kind of token thing. It's nice to at least be mildly represented in a game. I'm not massively fussed on it, but, it's something I'd like to see more of, yeah. Why not, eh.

Basically took the words right out of my mouth. :P

1). It's a nice touch but not too amazing. If it makes more players happy, it's probably a good idea.

2). I see no reason to get CoD: Ghosts yet, if not ever. Call of Duty is just an okay series because of poor single-player in my opinion. Although, I do know some people who would be the female character when they bought it.

3). I'm not appalled but I'm surprised that they haven't implemented it in other games to further increase the demographic. As for the sexism part- I'd be shocked if their intention was discrimitory. It dosen't look very good on news stories after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom