• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Getting Made Fun of for Zelda

Thatlinkisaspy!

(not really)
Think that's bad? Try talking about Zelda in a school full of cod fans. Seriously, me and a friend were talking about Zelda and everyone ignored us(not unusual for this to happen as I dislike cod but love Zelda.) But the best thing to do is ignore them.

DLC

Soul Drummer.
At school the other day I was talking to my friend about Zelda. Then this one guy came to crash our conversation by saying that Zelda is lame and stupid. "It's so easy!" he said. He said that call of duty could buy Zelda then sell it back for a billion bucks. This has been happening for a while now. People making fun of me because I like zelda. I had this one friend who had never played Zelda and just assumed that it was stupid. About a year later he came over to my house and I showed hi Oot. I made him a file and after that he had caved in. He loved Zelda. He's just recently beat Oot and he's gonna buy MM (wii shop). Tell me guys, do people make fun of you for playing Zelda? Have you Ever changed someones mind about the game. Please tell me!

Yeah he says it's easy. tell him to play AOL. That should fix him.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Think that's bad? Try talking about Zelda in a school full of cod fans. Seriously, me and a friend were talking about Zelda and everyone ignored us(not unusual for this to happen as I dislike cod but love Zelda.) But the best thing to do is ignore them.

Oh, you crazy Americans. What is this strange Call of Duty obsession :D

Sure, the games are fun in Multiplayer. But what else? The great sales in the states (and also worldwide) are beyond my imagination. Maybe I've missed the Call of Duty hype, but it's just a solid shooter. Getting bullied for loving Zelda instead of Call of Duty is hilarious. I'm ashamed. Ashamed of modern gamers.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I have a question for you.

Are they making fun of Zelda as an excuse to make fun of you, or is their mock of Zelda actually directed at the series? Because if it's the former, then consider that they are simply looking to bully by means of anything about you they may deem worth picking on. You could have been talking about how much you like strawberries, and they might have butted in and done the same thing. Honestly, you don't want to be hanging around those types of people anyway. Though it may help to know that usually, any taunts directed at others from these types of people are in fact done as a means of hiding and directing attention away from their own abundance of insecurities.

That being said, I would not be surprised to hear people shamelessly mocking Zelda. I still freshly remember the kinds of flaming, irrational, shockingly ignorant comments many G4 users were making during the G4 Deathmatch in the rounds where Zelda versed Halo, Assassin's Creed, and Starcraft, so I absolutely understand how that could go.

Why do they make fun of it? I'll tell you why they make fun of it; it's because they have a tendency to judge without proper reasoning. This is in fact a common tendency among people despite it being so flawed; in spite of the cliché saying "don't judge a book by its cover," the first impression you are going to have when you pick up a book will be accredited to it's outward appearance--it's title and cover. Deep within its pages could be hidden the most magnificent, enthralling tale that might ever cross the threshold into the reaches of your imagination, yet if the title is "The Ugly Clown in the Pink Tutu," you are going to sit there and laugh and laugh until you are blue in the face, and then you are going to toss the book behind you without ever so much as opening once to the first page with any serious unbiased intent to give it a real read. You might then choose to judge that "this book is stupid!" and proceed to make fun of it however you see fit. Yet, what you have essentially just judged is only your impression of the book, as opposed to the actual content within. The people who make such judgments do not realize that there is such a distinction, and so long as they lack an intimate awareness of the content within, their judgments remain superficial and fail to address what lies beneath the surface.

This case would be completely different however, were they to actually open the book, become soundly acquainted with what was inside, and then decide that what they found was worthy of ridicule. Such a judgment would at least be rooted in a legitimate first-hand basis for that judgment, and thus could be faulted no more than any disagreeable opinion that a person may have on the subject matter. However this is not the case with people that usually make fun of Zelda. As people have been saying above, once they are actually exposed to the "real pages" boasting the richness of the series, they are forced to realize that their initial judgments--based upon mere outer impressions--fall leagues from applying to the actual content; thus their initial flimsily supported judgments fall away in place of real, sound judgments that can only see the series for what it actually is. (Simplified version: Once they actually play Zelda, they can no longer deny or make any excuses that try to resist the greatness it commands, manifest in its lavish experience as it unfurls before them ever so enticingly. Try to see if that won't win them over. :right:)

Long story short: get them to play it. See if they can still manage to get out any words of mockery out of their mouths then. (They'll be so intensely focused on trying to figure out the Water Temple, they'll hardly remember they ever had such thoughts. ^^)

I think that just about sums up what I wanted to say. May the people who thoughtlessly sneer in the face of Zelda one day realize the worth of what they're missing. Though just remember, in the end it won't be your loss if they never do; it'll only be theirs! :P

Con-man

Master Swordsman
My sister makes fun of it sometimes. Some of my friends know im into zelda, they respect the series though, so its cool.

I love zelda for the lore and the nostalgia. I. Fact soemtimes i just like to run around hyrule field just to get that nostalgiac effect, na mean?

Also, i love the COD series too, i follow all of the COD youtubers as well. To each their own.

Oh, you crazy Americans. What is this strange Call of Duty obsession :D

Sure, the games are fun in Multiplayer. But what else? The great sales in the states (and also worldwide) are beyond my imagination. Maybe I've missed the Call of Duty hype, but it's just a solid shooter. Getting bullied for loving Zelda instead of Call of Duty is hilarious. I'm ashamed. Ashamed of modern gamers.

COD fans can be kinda stupid at times, i have a friend who gave up on Oot cuz he couldn't find the kokiri sword. I still like COD though, its like a stimulation, makes youfeel tough, especially when you pwn a bunch of loud mouth ten year olds.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
To me, it's a very simple case of people thinking that their opinion is the End all be all. If you go and say that Zelda is better than Call of Duty or viceversa, you're essentially saying "It sucks because it's not what I like!". Both are fun so who gives a hoop? I know there are Call of Duty fans here, so they must know why they like it.

I don't think either is better than the other. But people should DEFINITELY learn about something before trashing it. Be it COD, Resistance, GOW, or ANY franchise.

I remember meeting a kid who said "Zelda sucks because you can't shoot guns in it!". I asked him whats so good about shooting people. He just said that it's fun.

I'm pretty sure that he wasn't serious, because I found that statement to be pretty disturbing (Halo is fun and all, but I'm sure nobody plays it because they ACTUALLY love shooting people, that'd be sick in a bad way).

Owner828

I'm not the muffin man!
I think people who play call of duty make fun of Zelda fans because there game isn't as great as ours and want to make there game seem better! Ok just wanted to get that out. I have never been made fun of for playing Legend of Zelda. I think it is really because Zelda doesn't have guns, but it has swords so its not "cool" enough. Also it has puzzles when other games are just "DIE! DIE!". If people keep making fun of you for playing Zelda just say bad things about Call of Duty. Then simply ask them "Have you ever played Legend of Zelda?" When they say no "Then how about you be quiet?"

~Mizuki~

ALWAYS LEAVE BOX 5 OPEN
Oh *Starts to cry* That Happens to me The Teachers made fun of me and all my classmates My teacher said Josie is this Yours it has to be because Zelda written everywhere and I my class laughed and me I sign out to go to the Restroom and I sat there I cried and they still make fun of me and now my Friend keeps on reading what I write in class and Says I love Xemnas every time so thats my story to share if you want me to say the rest but mine story is WAY MEANER through out the story

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Oh *Starts to cry* That Happens to me The Teachers made fun of me and all my classmates My teacher said Josie is this Yours it has to be because Zelda written everywhere and I my class laughed and me I sign out to go to the Restroom and I sat there I cried and they still make fun of me and now my Friend keeps on reading what I write in class and Says I love Xemnas every time so thats my story to share if you want me to say the rest but mine story is WAY MEANER through out the story

D: *hugs Josie* those are terrible teachers if they actually made fun of you and let the classmates do that to you as well. Don't let them get to you! Their silly judgments of you are not important, and not worthy of your attention. Just keep loving what you love, no one has the right to try to ruin that for you~ ^_^

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
To me, it's a very simple case of people thinking that their opinion is the End all be all. If you go and say that Zelda is better than Call of Duty or viceversa, you're essentially saying "It sucks because it's not what I like!". Both are fun so who gives a hoop? I know there are Call of Duty fans here, so they must know why they like it.

I don't think either is better than the other. But people should DEFINITELY learn about something before trashing it. Be it COD, Resistance, GOW, or ANY franchise.

I remember meeting a kid who said "Zelda sucks because you can't shoot guns in it!". I asked him whats so good about shooting people. He just said that it's fun.

I'm pretty sure that he wasn't serious, because I found that statement to be pretty disturbing (Halo is fun and all, but I'm sure nobody plays it because they ACTUALLY love shooting people, that'd be sick in a bad way).

The thing is that we're not actually saying that we hate COD, it's just that people have a tendency to judge when they shouldn't. A lot of people don't understand that Zelda is one of the most well known series of video games to ever exist. Hell, even the classic Zelda theme is more recognizable than the Super Mario theme! Besides that point, it hurts when people judge and don't know the true facts about something. Sure COD has sold millions of copies in the United States and in Canada alone because we're all war OBSESSED. Why wouldnt it be smart to make a game that goes with the times, it rakes in the dough.

I'm not going to lie, i own Call of Duty, but purely BECAUSE of its online that I play with my friends. It can be a tasteless genre sometimes, because you shoot and kill, shoot and kill, shoot and kill...Adventure games like Zelda let you take in every aspect of the game instead of just defeating enemies. You interact with other characters, you can do side quests, etc etc...It's just one version of Call of Duty or Resistance or Halo comes out, and the last is completely forgotten! Zelda has lasted forever with fans STILL playing all the old games. I'm not saying that Zelda is the best thing out there; im just saying is that Video games are losing their uniqueness, with little diamonds like Zelda to keep gaming alive without it getting boring.

I don't know, it's just sad when younger people say things like "DO YOU HAVE COD! I WANNA PLAY ZOMBIES!". Yet when you show them Zelda they're like "WHAT IS THIS! THIS SUCKS! YOU HAVE NO GUNS!" and it's just really sad. I understand COD is what they are growing up with and most of us here have grown up with classic games, but honestly, HOW MANY more FPS games can be created?

Just something to ponder on....

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
The thing is that we're not actually saying that we hate COD, it's just that people have a tendency to judge when they shouldn't. A lot of people don't understand that Zelda is one of the most well known series of video games to ever exist. Hell, even the classic Zelda theme is more recognizable than the Super Mario theme! Besides that point, it hurts when people judge and don't know the true facts about something. Sure COD has sold millions of copies in the United States and in Canada alone because we're all war OBSESSED. Why wouldnt it be smart to make a game that goes with the times, it rakes in the dough.

I'm not going to lie, i own Call of Duty, but purely BECAUSE of its online that I play with my friends. It can be a tasteless genre sometimes, because you shoot and kill, shoot and kill, shoot and kill...Adventure games like Zelda let you take in every aspect of the game instead of just defeating enemies. You interact with other characters, you can do side quests, etc etc...It's just one version of Call of Duty or Resistance or Halo comes out, and the last is completely forgotten! Zelda has lasted forever with fans STILL playing all the old games. I'm not saying that Zelda is the best thing out there; im just saying is that Video games are losing their uniqueness, with little diamonds like Zelda to keep gaming alive without it getting boring.

I don't know, it's just sad when younger people say things like "DO YOU HAVE COD! I WANNA PLAY ZOMBIES!". Yet when you show them Zelda they're like "WHAT IS THIS! THIS SUCKS! YOU HAVE NO GUNS!" and it's just really sad. I understand COD is what they are growing up with and most of us here have grown up with classic games, but honestly, HOW MANY more FPS games can be created?

Just something to ponder on....

I completely agree with you (but I never said anything about people here hating COD, I just didn't want my post to look one-sided, if you get what I mean). The key part of my argument was:

Anyway, I think you caught me in one thing: Shooters are getting to the point of almost being carbon copies of each other. While every Zelda always feels and looks different. The indstry is starting to become like hollywood. With ideas that there is only one way of doing things.

As I said I completely agree with you.

triq267

Just a relatable ghost trying to spook it up
Now, I get made fun of sometimes for liking zelda, but most of my friends like it. One time, I had to write a story for school, and I wrote it about OoT, and that was when I realized not everyone likes zelda. Way to crush a young 9 year olds spirit. But, I got over it. Sorta. WAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Now, I get made fun of sometimes for liking zelda, but most of my friends like it. One time, I had to write a story for school, and I wrote it about OoT, and that was when I realized not everyone likes zelda. Way to crush a young 9 year olds spirit. But, I got over it. Sorta. WAAAAAAAAAAA!

The real problem wouldn't be their dislike of Zelda, but their attitude towards your like of it. They're the ones at fault for what ignorant disrespect they may harbor in their attitudes and behaviors, not you! They just don't understand what they're trying to smash.

Hyahyahya~~ I think all the people who've been making fun of Zelda sat there choking violently on their words during the Wii U Zelda demo yesterday.... :right:
Oh YES THEY DID! :P

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I don't think I've ever been made fun of for liking the Zelda series, at least to my knowledge I haven't (who knows someone might be making fun of me behind my back). I have friends and family members who think that the Zelda series is cool and even play it themselves. I think I have yet to really come across someone who absolutely hates the Zelda series and thinks it to be a stupid child's game. And another thing is that I'm not into FPS all that much. I don't care for all the blood and gore that are in them. My gaming preferences mostly gear towards the fantasy, adventure, and strategy types; Zelda being one of them. I honestly wouldn't care if someone were to be making fun of me about my love for the series. I just go with the "each to his own" thing, but if it were to get to the point of where it would keep escalating and become annoying, I would say something to them and basically tell them that I like what I like and cannot change that and nothing they say or do can stop me from liking Zelda. The situation is basically the same as the situation of some gamers who absolutely hate the old video games from back in the day because "the graphics suck!".

...Yeah. Personally I'd rather play old classic games than modern games any day. Anyway getting back on topic, as far as me converting someone to thinking Zelda is awesome, I haven't done anything like that yet. Hopefully one day I will get the chance though. :)

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
What's weird is that the FPS fanboys that I know of at my school are also Zelda fans. They know I like Zelda and they'd come to me sometimes to talk about Skyward Sword. XD I remember that once, there was a guy in their FPS-fan group that didn't like Zelda. What happened was that another guy made him try Ocarina of Time, and he never said a thing about it ever again.

Some of my cousins think that Zelda is stupid, though. -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom