• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

GenGame: New SSB Challengers

I believe we've already seen a plethora of threads regarding this topic but in order to pump more activity into this subforum I'd be glad to answer again. The problem with most of these character suggestions is that they are so humongous that they require scaling prior to incorporation in the roster. This especially goes for the likes of Ridley, Palutena, and Medusa. Megaman, Ryu (Street Fighter), Waluigi, and Magnus from Kid Icarus: Uprising should be included in my opinion. My body is ready and hopefully there will be a first trailer at E3 2013.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Honestly the only new character to Smash I want to see is...yeah, I got nothing. Bomberman, maybe, or perhaps some character from Square Enix's plethora of games could make an appearance (Cloud because he is popular)?

Dan

Honestly the only new character to Smash I want to see is...yeah, I got nothing. Bomberman, maybe, or perhaps some character from Square Enix's plethora of games could make an appearance (Cloud because he is popular)?

Yes van my love for you has risen. Bomberman would fit right in the cast. :D

We need to see non-specific action figure as well, I still remember him. :I
Perhaps Boggy B from the worms franchise, just because it would be awesome to see some of the wepons from worms in SSB. :D

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero

I guess Bomberman sounds good...

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
For so long, people have been stating who they want playable, theorising who will be playable and who they think should be playable Super Smash Bros. 4, well before it was even announced at E3 2011. To me, this is so infuriating, because of only a small percentage of people are being realistic about it.

For a character to be playable, they must have originated from a video game and appeared on a Nintendo console. Despite this, I have seen too many people around the internet show genuine interest in having characters such as Goku and Mickey Mouse playable, as if they had a chance. People are like "omg, i'd be so cool!".

There is also an indirect third rule. A playable character must be a large part of their franchise, as in, a staple. Think back to Melee, where Dr. Mario was a playable character. He was removed from the series and not in Brawl. Why? Why the do you think!? He didn't even compare to the main Mario cast, that consists of Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser, who are some of the most popular characters in all of video games. You can't have the two Mario Brothers, Princess of Mushroom Kingdom, Koopa King, and then a Doctor spin-off character with, like, 3 games. That is too ridiculous. Characters like Yoshi, Captain Falcon and Samus are alone because nobody else compares to them. There actually isn't many more first-party characters that are important enough to fill up spots on the character roster.

The main importance on whether a character should be playable or not is influence. Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are undoubtedly the most important characters in the Zelda series. Characters such as Skull Kid, Vaati, Ghirahim, Impa, Demise and Groose are not up to par with the mains. They're more suited towards an Assist Trophy role in the game, like Tingle, if anything.

Characters can be put in for several different reasons. Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B, Ice Climbers and Pit were put in for nostalgic-sake (and in Pit's case, to reboot the series, in a sense), Snake was put in due to a developer request, Jigglypuff was put in SSB64 to put the roster at an even twelve character and because of her extremely similar model to Kirby, and the most interesting case, Sonic was put in for fan service and nothing more. It has been stated the next game will not include too many new characters, so the likelihood of the developers repeating any of these actions is unlikely and would not be a wise move, anyway.

Rayman, Megaman and Bomberman are very possible inclusions that could fill up a spot or two.

Last edited:
^ I don't think anyone really expects their full dream roster will make it in. It's just fun to speculate about which characters are popular/well-represented enough on Nintendo platforms/the current popular first-party trends to get a character slot. With the ten I listed, I tried to stick to characters that were either- 1) from franchises that have a close enough relationship to Nintendo (Golden Sun, FF), have been somewhat important in recent memory (Kid Icarus characters, Epic Mickey), or seem like obvious choices (Mii, Ridley, some Fire Emblem person).

Fig

The Altruist
I love seeing these kinds of threads when it comes to (wish) rosters for the new Super Smash Bros. installment of the series. I always have a wish list for the characters I would love to see take part in the series. Here's my list:

1. Shadow The Hedgehog (Sonic The Hedgehog): He's a lot of capabilities of being a great character in the game. He's has the moves and skill to become a personal favorite to many fans. Shadow also has a wide range of moves to choose from previous games that could be picked as a great move set, especially his "ultimate" move!

2. Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars): Geno was originally supposed to be a competitor in Brawl but was cut from the final product. I would love to see Geno be a part of the Smash Bros. franchise. He would have a great set of moves that could make him a formidable opponent!

3. Mega Man (Mega Man): He's a classic video game character and has a lot of potential to deal a lot of damage to his opponents! He could be similar to Samus but with a move of set of long range rather than short range. He's definitely a great character to add in the series.

4. Pokémon Trainer Character Change/Update (Pokémon): What I want for Pokémon Trainer is to not change at all since he's a great character already. What I'm thinking is that when the player changes his color scheme, Pokémon Trainer changes into the color trainer that matches the color palate and each trainer has a different set of starter Pokémon from their specific region.

5. Zoroark (Pokémon): After seeing Zoroark in several Pokémon games and the movie Zoroark: Master of Illusions, I have a feeling that Nintendo will replace Lucario with him. The move for Zoroark could be a mix of Lucario's long range and Mewtwo's powerful attacks.

6. Young Link Return (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask): I would love to see Young Link return, but this time have his attacks and move set based on the three transformation masks of Deku, Goron, and Zora. Similar to Pokémon Trainer and his Pokémon, Young Link could use a rotation function to change from his four forms. His final resort could even be the Deity Mask.

So, this is my current list for possible characters for the new installment for the Super Smash Bros. series! I don't mind which characters they use, for sure I know that the game is going to be one epic and awesome game! :nerd:

Fiveoclock

Error 404- Life not found
What most people don't pay attention to is the fine line between creative fighters and pointless unwanted cameos who would not be viable and innovative fighters. The characters should all be beloved Nintendo classics that originated from Nintendo with only a few cameo characters. That means no Mickey Mouse! (Sorry, but I've had a grudge against Disney all my life. I dislike everything Disney)
But I'd really like Young Link, Zoroark, and for Ganondorf to actually use his sword for once.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
1. Shadow The Hedgehog (Sonic The Hedgehog): He's a lot of capabilities of being a great character in the game. He's has the moves and skill to become a personal favorite to many fans. Shadow also has a wide range of moves to choose from previous games that could be picked as a great move set, especially his "ultimate" move!

Personally, I believe that third-party characters should be alone and in this case, Sonic should be by himself in SSB4, assuming he's in at all. Having two or three playable characters in a single third-party franchise I think would show bias towards the series and waste spaces on the character roster.

2. Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars): Geno was originally supposed to be a competitor in Brawl but was cut from the final product. I would love to see Geno be a part of the Smash Bros. franchise. He would have a great set of moves that could make him a formidable opponent!

This, I think, is completely ridiculous. Geno being in Brawl was a rumour and nothing more. (Source) Disregarding Brawl, though, Geno is too obscure to be a playable character. He's only been in two games (as a partner in Super Mario PRG and a cameo in Super Star Saga, made in 1996 and 2003, respectively). His inclusion would be as a unless nostalgic character, like Mr. Game and Watch and Ice Climbers. As mentioned in my previous post, it would be very unwise to include any more characters for such a reason.

3. Mega Man (Mega Man): He's a classic video game character and has a lot of potential to deal a lot of damage to his opponents! He could be similar to Samus but with a move of set of long range rather than short range. He's definitely a great character to add in the series.

I agree with you. He is actually very well known. There is a likelihood SSB4 will include a couple (key word: couple) of new third-party characters and Megaman is probably the one with the greatest chance. Masahiro Sakurai himself has said "“I can’t say that it’s entirely out of the realm of possibility that some Capcom character could appear in the next Smash Bros." (Source)

4. Pokémon Trainer Character Change/Update (Pokémon): What I want for Pokémon Trainer is to not change at all since he's a great character already. What I'm thinking is that when the player changes his color scheme, Pokémon Trainer changes into the color trainer that matches the color palate and each trainer has a different set of starter Pokémon from their specific region.

You already proposed this idea in a previous thread of mine, http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f10/pokemon-super-smash-bros-4-a-33621.html#post524288. As I responded to that:
That does seem like a good idea. On paper. In reality, I don't think the developers would waste their time making movesets for 20 Pokemon.
It has been said SSB4 will; one, limit the amount of new characters, and two, spend more time balancing all the characters. Your idea fills up no more spots in the roster and is fine regarding statement one, but creating 20 Pokemon movesets and balancing them all would waste too much time and be overkill in regards of having more than quadruple of the appropriate maximum playable characters a series should contain.

5. Zoroark (Pokémon): After seeing Zoroark in several Pokémon games and the movie Zoroark: Master of Illusions, I have a feeling that Nintendo will replace Lucario with him. The move for Zoroark could be a mix of Lucario's long range and Mewtwo's powerful attacks.

I agree. Lucario needs to suffer the same fate as Mewtwo and be replaced by Zoroark.

6. Young Link Return (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask): I would love to see Young Link return, but this time have his attacks and move set based on the three transformation masks of Deku, Goron, and Zora. Similar to Pokémon Trainer and his Pokémon, Young Link could use a rotation function to change from his four forms. His final resort could even be the Deity Mask.

Young Link should return, yes, but as an alternate colour scheme to Toon Link, not a separate character. Toon and Young Link should share a character that are changeable at the menu and act just like colour schemes of each other, but changes their models and voices to the respective character. The idea of Young Link having a new moveset with the transformation masks is one I am extremely tired of hearing all over the internet. Majora's Mask is 12 years old now. Get over it.

Last edited:
Okay, what I'm about to say is strictly what Iwant, and would probably be terrible to the series. But, the Mother/Earthbound fanbase is really acting up; the amount of neglect we've gotten is pretty crazy. I'm not asking for any new characters, (although Kumatora would be nice. :D) but I want Lucas and Ness to make a return, possibly even be permanent characters in the series.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Okay, what I'm about to say is strictly what Iwant, and would probably be terrible to the series. But, the Mother/Earthbound fanbase is really acting up; the amount of neglect we've gotten is pretty crazy. I'm not asking for any new characters, (although Kumatora would be nice. :D) but I want Lucas and Ness to make a return, possibly even be permanent characters in the series.

Ness will return. I can guarantee it. He has a perfect attendance to the Smash Bros series. He, along with the other eleven original fighters will never be removed. Funny story, though, is that Ness was not to be in Melee, and be replaced by Lucas at that point in time, but with Mother 3's delay past Melee (from which Lucas was the star and his only appearance in a video game), Lucas was never put in, not even as a trophy. Lucas was quickly put in Brawl during development, but by that point, Ness was already a Smash Bros staple and now, can never be replaced.

I am quite positively certain that Lucas will return, as well. There are several other characters that are a greater risk of being removed than him.

Vanitas Remnant

You've done it, Ventus.
Iowa, or Hell. They're both the same thing.
@Krazy4Krash: I want Goku and Mickey Mouse When you said (Goku and Mickey) they didn't have a chance, was it because they weren't really video game characters? I tend to misread posts, so clarification for me would be great -_- Sorry about that.

Anyway, I would like Shadow in too, but they need to make him better than the most downloaded Brawl hack of all time. No Chaos Control, no super long charging Chaos Blast as a B move, and no really annoying sliding around. Megaman would be cool, I like him. Even though I can't get past Construction Man's level in Megaman 9...

Cloud would be fun, but I don't think he'd make it in. Dunno why, but I feel he doesn't have that big of a chance.

Kind of off topic, but Sakurai says he may not put a bunch of new characters, and instead wishes to focus on making existing characters more fun to play as. That would stink if he didn't put ANYONE new in...

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Sick of my posts in this thread yet?

@Krazy4Krash: I want Goku and Mickey Mouse When you said (Goku and Mickey) they didn't have a chance, was it because they weren't really video game characters? I tend to misread posts, so clarification for me would be great -_- Sorry about that.

I meant that because they didn't originate from a video game, but instead from a manga and a cartoon, respectively, they are impossible entries. It is a basic rule that a character must have had their first appearance in a video game. Without this, entries would be too open. Goku and Mickey are too obscure, anyway.

Kind of off topic, but Sakurai says he may not put a bunch of new characters, and instead wishes to focus on making existing characters more fun to play as. That would stink if he didn't put ANYONE new in...

New characters will be added. This is for certain. He has said that not too many characters will be added, as in, not like the increase of 13 newcomers from SSB64 to Melee, the increase of 15 newcomers from Melee to Brawl, but instead an increase of, maybe 6-8 newcomers, which is more reasonable. There is not too many characters from Nintendo's first-party franchises that are worthy of being playable characters, so newcomers will likely be very popular, Nintendo-console-heavy third-party characters.

He doesn't want to make characters more "fun", but more balanced. This is what the developers will spent more of their time doing, as opposed to making over a dozen new movesets for new characters. Super Smash Bros. 4 will be fun regardless of any characters that are in and any balancing issues that may be present. I trust Sakurai to make the correct decisions.

Last edited:
1. I want Majora's Mask Link.

2. Lucario should be removed and replaced by Mewtwo.

3. I want Chibi-Robo. I'm not going to get him, but I want him nonetheless.

4. Because Namco Bandai, is working on it, I want a Tales character.

5. I want Little Mac as a character.

6. Ephraim, from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, because all the FE reps so far use swords.

7. Magnus, from Kid Icarus.

8. Sora from Kingdom Hearts.

9. Crono, from Chrono Trigger.

10. Did I mention Majora's Mask Link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom