• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games You Enjoyed but Didn't Get Well Received

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
Whats Your Favorite Underrated VideoGame(Or Franchise)

Ok This is very straighforward, Whats your favorite Underrated VideoGame or VideoGame Frachise? Those games that pretty much noone has heard about but they are still really really good.

Mine are:

Banjo Kazooie and Tooie
Custom Robo Series
No more Heroes 1-2
Ty The Tazmanian Tyger Series.

So tell me, Whats yours?

Last edited:

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
Growing up, I adored Commander Keen for the PC. Most of this generation has never heard of it. Definitely an early Windows classic.

Medal Of Honor. The classics of FPS war games. I thought it was a dead franchise..but it seems a new one is being made and will take place in modern times. Most likely because of Modern Warfare 2 and BF: BC 2.

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
I think the Lufia games are very underrated, though I have met a few people who have played/heard of it. I've only had the chance to play the first Lufia game, it was quite good and I want to play Lufia II someday. I think they are making another for the DS, though i'm not sure, and there are a couple on the GBA/GBC.

Another series which I think is very underrated is the Nancy Drew series. (No, not the books, i'm talking about a video game series loosely based on the books.) It's a series of puzzle-adventure games for the PC. You play in first person (think Myst) as Nancy Drew in the games, and must solve mysteries ranging from murder to ghost sightings. Nancy Drew games are filled with puzzles, and there are usually three to five 'suspects' who you can talk to in the game. I've had tons of fun playing the games in this series, they are very interesting.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is the most underrated game ever! It's amazing! It's a full DK adventure with a brand new type of scoring system, albeit with weird controls.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Banjo-Kazooie is underrated? I never would have said that. =\
Well, I honestly have to say Adventure of Link. Or the original Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles for the NES. Now that I think about it, those games are similar in the sense of how the overworld and levels are played out.

I tend to just stick with Mario and Zelda games though, so most of my favourites aren't (usually) underrated.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Does the Zelda series count? There are a lot of newer gamers who've never heard of it.

Aside from that, I'd have to say Star Fox Adventures. A lot of Star Fox fans hate it because Fox isn't in his Arwing, and can't appreciate the game for what it is.

Another one would Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals: The Crystal Bearers. Even I didn't like it at first, but I started getting into it when I paid more attention to the accessories, medals, and side quests. It's kind of like Majora's Mask in that it's a good game, but your first impression is likely to be negative if you focus on the main quest.

Does the Zelda series count? There are a lot of newer gamers who've never heard of it.

Aside from that, I'd have to say Star Fox Adventures. A lot of Star Fox fans hate it because Fox isn't in his Arwing, and can't appreciate the game for what it is.

Another one would Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals: The Crystal Bearers. Even I didn't like it at first, but I started getting into it when I paid more attention to the accessories, medals, and side quests. It's kind of like Majora's Mask in that it's a good game, but your first impression is likely to be negative if you focus on the main quest.

a lot of newer games really like zelda but never say it to teir friends (who also probably really like it)

i dont know why but a lot of fans liketo keep it secret and pop little referrences to it here and there (like the google triforces :P)

but trust me zeldas not underrated, every game got high ratings, even ps3/360 fanboys dont even dare say zelda is bad, honestly i check ign comments out and the bigest fanboys even say: ok fair enough zelda really is amazing

The King's Quest series is amazing. It was actually really successful at the time, but now not many people know of it's existence. Since these games are so old, you can legally download and play them:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/search_abandonia/kings+quest

Programmers have made VGA remakes of some of the games in the series. These remakes are actually really good and might appeal to people who need a little bit more graphics than just a few pixels moving around on the screen. I actually think that some of the remakes are better than the original. I highly recommend you guys try these.

Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

Honestly, that game is amazing. Too many people rushed through the main quest as fast as they could, comparing everything they could to Final Fantasy 7 and commenting on how this was nowhere near the main stream games. Duuurrrrr, it's not supposed to be. The game got bad reviews because of what it wasn't instead of what it was, which just isn't fair. Breeze through the main quest in 10 hours, and you're missing out on about 85% of the game. I loved this game to death, and would love another one just like it. Too bad everyone else hated it and the chance is slim.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, let's see...

Super Mario Bros 2

This one was fun and while it wasn't my favorite of the NES Mario games, it was incredibly fun but wasn't received very well and still isn't received very well.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Again, not received very well and often looked down upon as "crap" in the series, but I like it. A lot, as a matter of fact.

Super Mario Sunshine

It was critisized a ton for having voice acted cutscenes and FLUDD and all that, and while it wasn't my favorite 3D Mario game, I definately enjoyed it a lot.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Just Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. For some odd reason or another, it gets a lot of hate and I have no clue why. Sure it's not the same epic type of game we all know and love, but it stays true to the original Pokemon design while bringing fun new twists. Say what you will about the PMD games, but there is no denying that it has the BEST plot in any Pokemon game, spin off or not. Any game that can make me cry (thank you, EoS/EoT/EoD, for one of the saddest endings in a video game ever) automatically has done the plot incredibly.

Also, yeah the gameplay might not be in the same format. Sure, you're not some random ten year old going around catching wild animals and battling them. Sure you don't go around collecting gym badges to challenge powerful trainers known as the Elite Four. Sure you don't go into grass and have random encounters. Mystery Dungeon actually kept alot of the concepts for the original GB/GBC/GBA/DS RPG's while providing new twists. There was actually turn based combat in the games. You move, your partners move, then your foes move. And really, the only difference between combat in the classic main series games and the PMD series is that you don't go to some fancy screen to battle one at a time and there aren't any random encounters. You explore through dungeons, the layout and items of which changing with each visit (which is an amazing concept), and as you go through the dungeon, you encounter Pokemon with whom you just battle almost as though it were Zelda with a menu for attacks.

Also, the music is outstanding. Just listen to some songs like PMD2 Boss Theme, PMD2 Opening Theme, Wigglytuff's Theme, PMD2 Time Gears, PMD2 Anxiety, PMD2 Strange Happenings, PMD2 Monster House, PMD1 Stop Thief, PMD1 Sky Tower, and a ton of other songs that I'm not going to list for the sake of not making this whole post just links to epic songs from the PMD series. PMD does NOT deserve all the hate it gets. Show me the love!

Pokemon Colosseum

Sure, it's different from the main series, but as was proved with just about every other game on this list, being different doesn't diminish the value of a game.

It had the same sort of gameplay the usual Pokemon had, but with a twist: you liberated Pokemon used for evil purposes from criminals instead of capturing wild Pokemon from the wild. Instead of beating up Cipher/Team Snagem, you stole their Shadow Pokemon (which brought with them a cool new mechanic with them) and saved them.

The plot is also somewhat derived from the main series games, but the gym quest was completely cut out (unless you count that one practice gym, but you don't get a badge from it). Again, just being different doesn't diminish the quality of a game.

Pokemon XD Gales of Darkness

See the section of my post about Pokemon Colosseum, as it's just a copy/paste deal with these two games.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
Pokemon channel.

Maybe i'm just incredibly childish but I liked testing my trivia and watching TV in a video game...on a TV. That and the Pichu Bros. theme was incredibly catchy in all of the languages available, saying little of the fact that there was a free Jirachi in the game.

I got Channel and i'll likely get the new Park one. Why? Just because i'm at the stage where I want to play video games without any true effort going into the whole process and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom