• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games You Enjoyed but Didn't Get Well Received

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
Silent Hill 4: The Room. It wasn't received very well overall .. it was felt to be too actiony and not as dark as the first 3 Silent Hills, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (the singleplayer mode) .. the game itself was a HUGE success, but because it introduced a unique & very tense vs. multiplayer mode. Many said the singleplayer left a lot to be desired. I loved it though, just as much as the first Splinter Cell.

I liked pokemon channel when I was young, although now I'd probably hate that game.

On the opposed side, I hated Super Mario Galaxy despite it getting very positive reviews. That game is just ughh for me. Especially the camera.

You aren't gonna take me seriously, but it's true.
E.T. for the Atari 2600
Seriously, why does everyone hate this game? It's challenging, but I think it's as hard as any Atari game! No one ever tried out the button, so they don't know how to escape the scientist or the FBI agent. They also don't know how to use that neck thing to use a vague search. I find it fun to explore each and every hole.

However, I am starting to get more cases where it was the opposite. Prime examples include Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Bros 3, Twilight Princess, Megaman III, and (oh jesus save me from the fanboys) Ocarina of Time.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Super Mario Bros 2

This one was fun and while it wasn't my favorite of the NES Mario games, it was incredibly fun but wasn't received very well and still isn't received very well.

I have played so few games that I didn't think I'd have anything to add to this thread until you posted this. I grew up playing SMB, SMB2 and SMB3 and enjoyed them all equally. I even downloaded the second game before the other two from the virtual console - I think it was because I always liked being able to play as the Princess. It does get overshadowed, being sandwiched between the other two games, though.

Also, Pokemon Rumble probably counts. I wouldn't choose it over the main series but it was enjoyable enough.

Jet Force Gemini is definitely the most underrated game of all time. I also like Starfox Adventures, Donkey Kong 64, Luigi's Mansion, and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts despite them not being super popular or well-liked.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time is a game that has generally mediocre reviews. Really, the game is so much fun if you actually try it out. Many people booed the game because of the voice acting. In my opinion, it was some of the best for a 2004/2005 PS2 RPG game. Going through the game is a hassle when trying to collect every trophy, but once you do, you have that "I just wasted two years of my life, but it was definitely worth it" feeling.

I also liked Luigi's Mansion, although I sold it once I got the F-Rank Mansion (I was so mad). Kirby Air Ride is yet another game with bad reviews. I don't see why people hate the game, it is REALLY fun.

Kybyrian

Kirby Air Ride is yet another game with bad reviews. I don't see why people hate the game, it is REALLY fun.

One that I can agree with. Well, it was always fun back when I used to play it, I just loved flying around with the prototype star in free mode. I played minigames or whatever every once in a while, too. It was pretty fun how I remembered it, but that was back then. I think it'd still be pretty good, though.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I really enjoyed Cubivore. It's a terribly awesome game. Basically, you start out as a really small cube shaped monster thing, and you eat and eat and eat your way to the top of the food chain. It's survival of the fittest, and incredibly fun.

You can read all about it here.

Here's a video too: (Ignore the idiot and his commentary.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Linebeck1000

Legendary Captain
The first ones I think of are Adventure of Link, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, and Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA). I played AoL just recently, so I thought it was a refreshing change of pace without making the game feel too un-Zelda. I played Sunshine before I had even heard of 64, so I thought this game was revolutionary. Luigi's Mansion... I dunno, I just like the idea of exploring an old mansion as my favorite Mario character. I don't really enjoy SMB2 as much as I did when I was young, but I loved it back then (I still love it, just not as much).

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I would say the game I enjoyed the most that had the least critical acclaim was Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for Gamecube. I agree that the camera had lots of problems and some of the missions were really boring, but I really liked the whole concept of good and evil plot lines that intersect, and getting to play through the story mode from two entirely different perspectives.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
Well, hmmm... I loved I-Ninja for the GC/PS2/XBOX. It was a really great mario 64 knock off with really smooth gameplay. AoL is good. Too early to think right now. ZzzzZZZZzzzzzzzZZzzzzz

Beeker

Wild Card
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Just Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. For some odd reason or another, it gets a lot of hate and I have no clue why. Sure it's not the same epic type of game we all know and love, but it stays true to the original Pokemon design while bringing fun new twists. Say what you will about the PMD games, but there is no denying that it has the BEST plot in any Pokemon game, spin off or not. Any game that can make me cry (thank you, EoS/EoT/EoD, for one of the saddest endings in a video game ever) automatically has done the plot incredibly.

Also, yeah the gameplay might not be in the same format. Sure, you're not some random ten year old going around catching wild animals and battling them. Sure you don't go around collecting gym badges to challenge powerful trainers known as the Elite Four. Sure you don't go into grass and have random encounters. Mystery Dungeon actually kept alot of the concepts for the original GB/GBC/GBA/DS RPG's while providing new twists. There was actually turn based combat in the games. You move, your partners move, then your foes move. And really, the only difference between combat in the classic main series games and the PMD series is that you don't go to some fancy screen to battle one at a time and there aren't any random encounters. You explore through dungeons, the layout and items of which changing with each visit (which is an amazing concept), and as you go through the dungeon, you encounter Pokemon with whom you just battle almost as though it were Zelda with a menu for attacks.

Also, the music is outstanding. Just listen to some songs like PMD2 Boss Theme, PMD2 Opening Theme, Wigglytuff's Theme, PMD2 Time Gears, PMD2 Anxiety, PMD2 Strange Happenings, PMD2 Monster House, PMD1 Stop Thief, PMD1 Sky Tower, and a ton of other songs that I'm not going to list for the sake of not making this whole post just links to epic songs from the PMD series. PMD does NOT deserve all the hate it gets. Show me the love!
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is a game I love. It's a nice break from the traditional games. You know what? I've noticed in the past few months that I'd prefer playing these games over the main games. Because it has such a better story and can get quite emotional(I cried in the first one), I love it alot more.

Pokemon Colosseum

Sure, it's different from the main series, but as was proved with just about every other game on this list, being different doesn't diminish the value of a game.

It had the same sort of gameplay the usual Pokemon had, but with a twist: you liberated Pokemon used for evil purposes from criminals instead of capturing wild Pokemon from the wild. Instead of beating up Cipher/Team Snagem, you stole their Shadow Pokemon (which brought with them a cool new mechanic with them) and saved them.

The plot is also somewhat derived from the main series games, but the gym quest was completely cut out (unless you count that one practice gym, but you don't get a badge from it). Again, just being different doesn't diminish the quality of a game.

Pokemon XD Gales of Darkness

See the section of my post about Pokemon Colosseum, as it's just a copy/paste deal with these two games

These two were games I also loved. I like the concept of Shadow Pokemon. They really are fun games. Because I thought XD was a great game, I actually want to see another game in this part of the franchise. More Shadow Pokemon, please:D.

Not to mention they have the best training facility in all the games.(Mt Battle, it's great for raising Pokemon to Lvl 100.)

Roxas20

"The Key of Destiny"
I'd have to say one of my many favorites is Knuckles Chaotix from the ever-doomed Sega 32X add-on. It had awesome music, and a great cast of characters. They need to re-release it for another port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom