• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Finished SS Tonight, My Final Thoughts.

Tonight I completed Skyward Sword. The only thing I can say about this game is "WOW". It is an amazing game and reminds me why I have loved playing video games for the last 25 years of my life. The last few years I have been playing online shooters all the time and decided to take a break in April and got SS. In about two months and 48 hours of playtime, I've completed the game 100%. I have enjoyed every minute of the game, and I wanted to share my final thoughts and try to be as brief as possible.

First off, the story was great. I loved the tale of how skyloft was created, Ghirahim trying to resurrect Demise, Zelda being a Goddess, etc. SS is an excellent beginning to the Zelda story.

The characters and locations were also very good. Each region was so unique to the other, and even after repeated visits, there are new things to discover. It was cool to see Groose change throughout the story, have Ghirahim constantly scold you for meddling, and Fi thank you for the adventure. All the different races on the surface are welcome additions to the series.

The graphics in this game were also what made it stand out. This art style is amazing in its own right, but it really makes use of the Wii's limited hardware, and like the Wind Waker, I think this game will age gracefully. The sound is equally as impressive.

The dungeons in the game were not the best in the series, but they were all enjoyable. I really like the Ancient Cistern and Mining Facility the most. The final dungeon was cool, basically giving you a small taste of all of them in one package.

There is not too much to complain about. The big thing is the control. The Wii motion plus really makes this game, but to be honest, I could never get the 1:1 to work perfect, even up to defeating Demise. I tried subtle movements, big movements, etc, but the Motion Plus is never predictable. You may say I'm doing it wrong, but if I couldn't get it right in 48 hours of gameplay, something has to be off.

Also, the repeats like the Silent Realms only served to extend the game. They were all fun, but it was the same old thing, same with fighting the Imprisoned so many times. Another thing is, you have to get Three Tablets, then Three Flames, then Three Songs, then Three Triforce pieces, it's like "I GET IT, 3!"

Those small issues aside, it's a great game and an amazing experience. Within the Zelda series, I think it deserves a 9.0/10. Within the overall gaming world, where garbage like Call of Duty gets a 9/10, I give Skyward Sword a 10/10.

Non-Epic

Resident Cucco Kicker
Labrynna, because Hyrule is too mainstream.
It's great you love it. The story is pretty neat and left me crying at the end. Though it's definitely not my favourite, I still can love it. I appreciate when people give their honest opinion instead of throwing it down as the best. It's good to like what you have.

Zelda_Ali_Baba

Why did the humans attack
Haha I never noticed the whole 3 theme! But it's very true ^_^

That's awesome you like it, and all you say is true. I agree with the scoring. Congrats on finishing it!

Right now I'm working on Hero Mode which makes the game even greater (especially cuz on the 2nd run through, you know where all the pieces of heart are ;) )

Skyward Sword is the most revolutionary Zelda game since Ocarina of Time and easily one of the best in the series. I agree with your overall assessment of the game. while the motion controls may not have been perfect, they are better than any offered in the industry and Skyward Sword is sure to be remembered as a landmark title for years to come. Also, I must congratulate you on 100%ing the game in just 48 hours. You must have a hawk's eye for secrets.

The story is easily the deepest Zelda has to offer behind Majora's Mask. Unlike the other franchise "pawn" villain, Zant, Ghirahim continually evolves throughout the course of the franchise into a greater danger. Whereas in the Skyview Temple, he toys around with Link by the time you reach the Sealed Grounds, he means business and is hellbent on danger. Demise was an even better villain due to combining ferocious malice with the delicate poetry. Also, seeing him perish was one of the best concluding scenes the franchise has to offer. Period. And all this is taken out of context with the enormous sacrifices Fi and Zelda (Hylia) made at game's end.

The graphics are personally not my favorite but nevertheless remain respectable due to the technological restraints of the hardware. At the very least, I will agree with the majority opinion that the style allowed the characters to express their emotions clearly.

Speaking of characters, there hasn't been as much backstory to every NPC since Majora's Mask. Getting to know additional details about people like Pipit and Fledge. The crown of character development, however, goes to Groose who as you mentioned evolves from school bully to true companion. The twist may be a but too romanticized by Nintendo but it is still heart warming.

The dungeons were marvels in my opinions. Sure, I disapproved of cramped corridors that found themselves in the game too often but in the end these compact lairs left a larger impression on me than the dull behemoths of fortresses in Twilight Princess. Nintendo was finally able to ditch the idea of one theme per dungeon with the Ancient Cistern boasting water and "undead" elements and this was the greatest success of Skyward Sword in terms of breaking away from franchise norm. That's eve without mentioning that all the items were used throughout the entire game in numerous and creative ways especially the beetle. The majority of bosses also did not fall victim to the traditional stun, hack-and-slash pattern.

As for the repetition of the "3s", there certainly had to be emphasis on the creation of the Triforce whose backstory is detailed as the story progresses along with that of the Master Sword. I completely agree with your rating and hope Skyward Sword will be remembered by gamers for not only being a great fantastic game but a sign of whom Nintendo caters to most-real gamers.

To be honest I checked a guide for 2 or so pieces of heart and for one or two gratitude quests. The rest I did myself, I didn't want the game to be tedious.

Two things I forgot to mention. First, did anyone else feel the bravery Link possessed, remember him walking into those dark dungeon entrances with that determined look on his face? That was awesome.. Not to mention when he faced Demise.

Second, I didn't use the shield bash during the game, and I didn't realize you could even do it until the end, I I feel like such a noob and I think I made the game harder than it needed to be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom