• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Features You Would Like to Have

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Simply: What features would you like to have included in Zelda U?

I, for once, have been hoping for a full-blown customization menu to appear in Zelda for some time. Now, this isn't like the beginning of Skyrim or Monster Hunter Tri where you take about an hour to create your character per se―at least in my mind. It's more about finding different pieces of armor as the game progresses and allowing Link don them at will. Wearing each protective plate gives Link an advantage in combat...as well as posing a disadvantage. Let's just say that Link garbs himself in extra-protection bracers―these will buffer how much damage he takes when hit, but also make his swings slower. For every armor-piece he dons, the defensive/offensive balance is offset and, again, have a consequence of its own should he be stricken.

How about you?

I had a similar thought with customization, actually. Link can still look like himself if he's decked out in new clothing or armor, and it's not like previous games haven't let you swap his clothing out before. If Link is supposed to be a connection to the player, increasing customization only enhances that. Perhaps this could be taken a step further by having players keep an eye on the environment and garb themselves appropriately, like warm clothing for snowy locales or dressing in clothes of a certain color to camouflage themselves in stealthy areas.

What I'd really like to see is overhauled enemy design and player combat. Enemies have been dancing around us for too long; it's time to have them constantly swooping in and attacking (with smart and fair design, of course), driving players to the limits of their skill in the trickier parts. But as Link's combat system is, however, this can't happen without being brutally unfair. Link just isn't designed to handle all that. Which is why I suggest three things to build on Link's combat system: more realistic strike impacts, advanced sword skills, and advanced dodging. No, I'm not suggesting Devil May Cry or God of War, but rather something pretty unique.

"Realistic strike impacts" is easy to explain: when you attack something in real life, your goal should be to drive through it and break it. If your attack bounces off, you were never intending to go through it, even subconsciously, which indicates sloppy combat skills. If you know what you're doing, your attack will either go through/push your target if it's successful or stay in place if it doesn't. Compare this to Link's sword always awkwardly bouncing off hard objects, and you'll see why Link needs to change his mindset - to quicken combat.

"Advanced sword skills" goes beyond the Hidden Skills of Twilight Princess, though the concept is generally the same. Although not all my data is intact, I've decided to pull one example from the upcoming Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. To block and parry attacks in that game (I believe), you move an analog stick in the direction of the incoming attack, then press a button with good timing. Why couldn't Link do something similar? It would give him just a brief second to go in for the kill, and it would require skilled observation of the enemy. There are other skills too, like slower but more powerful two-handed strikes, slashing while getting up from a roll, and blocking attacks behind him. It may be better to save some of these as Hidden Skills so players aren't overwhelmed at the beginning, but giving Link more control over combat is something I'd really like to see.

Branching off that concept (can you tell I've thought about this before?) is "advanced dodging." Right now, Link just has side jumps, awkwardly shuffling to the side, rolling forward kind of slowly, and back flipping. What if we extended this to include more maneuvers like ducking, taking a quick step to the side, rolling after side jumps, rolling to your feet after getting knocked down, etc., etc.? It should handle pretty simply: by locking onto an enemy and moving the control stick to the side, you walk sideways. By doing that and pressing A, you shift your body quickly to the side. By pressing A twice in quick succession, you jump/roll that way. By locking on and holding the control stick backward (or maybe forward) and pressing A, you'll duck; twice in succession makes you flip. And when an enemy knocks you down, similar to Super Smash Bros., you press A with good timing and use the control stick to roll to your feet instantly.

But yeah, long story short, combat could use sprucing up, and I hope they do a moderate-to-heavy overhaul of it in Zelda Wii U.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skin Tone Change & Other Bodily Customization - I've never felt quite in Link's shoes because he has a typical Caucasian build and of course features. I'd love to change his skin tone to a darker color so I could fit in his size 10 shoes (I'm size 11 in American Men ;p). I'd also like to change Link's physique and personality. Of course, the customization would be for reaching out to dissuaded players who simply don't believe Link is a suitable avatar.

More Hidden Skills Including Magic - I think this is pretty self-explanatory, and most of the hidden skill stuff I'd talk to discuss has already been said by The Wanderer. So, I'll save you that and move onto magic. How I'd like to treat magic in this game is how it's treated in Kingdom Hearts II; in KH2 magic is mostly for support (Magnega, Curaga, Reflega, etc), but it does have some offensive capabilities here and there (Reflega on hit, Thundaga, Firaga, Blizzaga etc). Even so KH2 functions with its MP bar, potions of various kinds, and a multitude of combat options that simply do not hurt the game in any conceivable way. Zelda could do it similarly with the Magic Meter, and not have spells that stop all action. I'd love everything to be cast in real time, and I know it could work because games like Final Fantasy XII, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (well really all FF and KH games), heck even a functioning Super Mario hack have done it!

Deeds

no text
I'd like to see a lot more classic RPG elements make an appearance. Such as skill-tree's and leveling. Although this goes against the whole LoZ formula, it's a fresh idea and would attract new gamers to the series, it's the little things that make the difference. The idea of skill-tree's is that every time you level Link up, by fighting monsters/bosses you'd gain 1 point to spend on your skill tree, when you spend the point you could upgrade different things like how fast you move, the damage you deal and how much damage you can take. I presume most of you have encountered a skill-tree before, so you know what I'm talking about.

Before people start quoting the hell outta me and saying this isn't Zelda, I know, I've been a fan of Zelda for very long but now I want new ideas to come forth with a new console. Non-linearity, for example, is something that's rarely been implemented in past Zelda titles, but has been on the developers mind while creating ZeldaU and even when they created Skyward Sword. They obviously couldn't pull it off in Skyward Sword though, or they felt it was better suited to ZeldaU.

LANZZ

Scarecrow
Features that I would like to see in Zelda Wii-U:-
- Large Overworld.
- Useful companion.
- A lot of mini games (Fishing, horse racing, treasure hunting, etc...).
- Magic system.
- A lot of enemies.
- More than one town.
- Trading sequence.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
-Magic Meter
-Large connected over world. Not more vast emptiness of the sky or ocean. I want to climb mountains and pass through sheer cliffs. To ash around an expanse Hyrule field and explore through the forest.
-A companion that doesn't force you to stop. No flashing or sound needed. Give them a button to speak, and the player can choose to call on them when they player decides that they need a hint.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
- Companion who doesn't force their advice on you
- Large overworld + lots of towns/cities
- The return of Epona, or some kind of faster transportation other than foot (Oh and let me go inside towns and cities with it)
- Magic Meter + element arrows + spells

ThePurpleKnight

ThePurpleKnightmare
Multiplayer, I am open to many different types, but I want Multiplayer in a Zelda game, it greatly adds to reply value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom