• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favourite Music/bands from the 90s

The 90s were mental, its one of those decades where you look back and just cringe at everything you saw, heard and did, unlike the 80s, 60s and 70s which had style and a sense of irony the 90s were just... wow, and one of those god awful but so awesome and still cool now in a bad way about the 90s was the music, so, which bands and songs from the 90s did you love back then and still love now?

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Where do I even begin?

Some of my favourites include:

Aqua
The Cranberries
Marylin Manson
No Doubt
t.A.T.u
Madonna (Although technically 80's)
Goo Goo Dolls
NSYNC
Hanson (My most cringeworthy selection)
Backstreet Boys
Korn
Nirvana
System of A Down
Nightwish
Classic Britney
Ricky Martin - Living La Vida Loca (to be specific)
Missy Elliot

I still listen to many of these from time to time although I think that most 90's music is best left in the 90's.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
You know what I hated about the 90s (you young 'uns just wouldn't understand)? When you absolutely love a song, in my case, Michael Jackson's 'Stranger in Moscow' (and 'Earth Song' and 'You Are Not Alone' and 'Black or White' and 'Remember The Time' and... ) and you have to sit there and watch hundreds of other songs on The Box or VH1 or MTV (obligatory 'they-used-to-play-music-joke-that-isn't-and-never-has-been-funny') before the video rolls around again. The worst part was seeing the numbers pop up in the corner of somgs people were requesting and the number never corrospnding to a song I wanted. These days you have your YouTubes and whatnot. Back then... It was Hell.

But yeah, I absolutely freaking loved Michael Jackson in the 90s. I actually fell in love with his music because of albums like Jam and HIStory. I still remember being terrified by the video to Ghosts. It wasn't until I was in my early teens that I started listening to his 80s stuff. Another favourite was The Smashing Pumpkins, although, that may be misleading. I'm not really a fan of the Pumpkins, just that there are several songs of theirs that I absolutely love ('Cherub Rock', 'Today', '1979'). I only ever heard them because my dad listened to them in a vain attempt to feel young again.

To be honest, I was never truly aware of music in the 90s, if you know what I mean. There are a ton of songs I loved during the decade but I never really had favourite bands or artists too much. It was only in my teens that I started to pay real attention to music.

Austin

Austin
I love the 90s. Mostly the early 90s, but they were great regardless.

Alice in Chains
Bad Religion
Faith No More
Mr. Bungle
Radiohead
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Stone Temple Pilots
Smashing Pumpkins
Massive Attack
Melvins
Sonic Youth
Nine Inch Nails
R.E.M.
U2 (I actually like all of their 90s albums, not just Achtung Baby)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (Anything past the Navaro album is awful though)
Screaming Trees
The Verve
Oasis
Soundgarden
Blues Traveler

Just the result of me quickly flipping through my music directory. Not all of these bands are necessarily considered "90s bands), nor is their best work necessarily from that era, but they still released one or two great albums during the time period.

Dream Theater a.k.a. musical perfection. Images and Words from 1992 and Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory released in 1999 are easily two of the best albums of all time. There's plenty of others like Metallica's self-titled album, but I think Dream Theater is by far the one band most noteworthy of excelling in the 90's.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
[video=youtube;hBe0VCso0qs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBe0VCso0qs[/video]
I remember having this song stuck in my head for days at a time!

In all seriousness though, I like the Goo Goo Dolls and Metallica.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Dream Theater a.k.a. musical perfection. Images and Words from 1992 and Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory released in 1999 are easily two of the best albums of all time. There's plenty of others like Metallica's self-titled album, but I think Dream Theater is by far the one band most noteworthy of excelling in the 90's.

Thank you. Images and Words is my all-time favorite album, and I'm glad to see it mentioned. Symphony X and Spock's Beard are also worth mentioning.

[video=youtube;GW_Bkv1TDsU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW_Bkv1TDsU[/video]

[video=youtube;Sr4gPS0gpdE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr4gPS0gpdE[/video]

Overall, the 90s were far less interesting for popular rock music than the 1980s, which was far less interesting than the 1970s and 1960s. But there were gems if you knew where to look. Prog in particular got a huge revival in the 1990s, with Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, Symphony X, etc. at the forefront.

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Train.png

Choo Choo

The 90s were mental, its one of those decades where you look back and just cringe at everything you saw, heard and did, unlike the 80s, 60s and 70s which had style and a sense of irony the 90s were just... wow, and one of those god awful but so awesome and still cool now in a bad way about the 90s was the music, so, which bands and songs from the 90s did you love back then and still love now?

just fyi this is the worst opening post ever.

[video=youtube;sT0g16_LQaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0g16_LQaQ[/video]

[video=youtube;SmJxtgmsqAE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmJxtgmsqAE[/video]

[video=youtube;KX0t2BLDqv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0t2BLDqv8[/video]

[video=youtube;vabnZ9-ex7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vabnZ9-ex7o[/video]

that op was pretty much the exact opposite of reality, but w/e

EDIT: Almost forgot Nirvana

Last edited:
I love music from the 90's here are some of my favorites along with my favorite album

Smashing Pumpkins (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
Nirvana (Nevermind)
Pearl Jam (Ten)
Soundgarden (Superunknown)
Radiohead (OK Computer)
Nine Inch Nails (The Downward Spiral)
Green Day (Dookie)
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Californication
Foo Fighters (The Coulour and the Shape)
Megadeth (Rust In Peace)
Dream Theater (Images and Words)

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
If late 90's count then Slipknot, Gorillaz and System of a Down

If not then
-Korn
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Weezer
-White Zombie
-Nirvana
-Pearl Jam