• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Word?

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
My favorite word starts with f and rhymes with duck. It's a beautiful, easy to pronounce word that is so flexible that it can be used as pretty much anything in pretty much every sentence. Despite it meaning so many things everyone pretty much instantly understands what it means. It really is the pinnacle of the English language. Despite its greatness some people don't like hearing it. Actually, they don't like children hearing it, but they probably have no trouble saying it in front of their children and don't care to correct themselves, but everyone's children will eventually grow up to use that word casually, as their parents did. Some people like that would be happy to ban this word and others arbitrarily chosen to be put in a special category with it. The fatal flaw with these people's desire is that they don't care about the meaning behind the use of the word, they just want to get rid of some irrationally selected combinations of sounds. I find this ridiculous because if our language had evolved differently and "Vlupadoopadoop" was considered a "bad" word then these same people would be trying to ban it.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Ahhhh, at last, a thread in which I might pontificate with my grandiose lexicon... Just gonna put down a few of my favorites, so don't worry too much about it becoming an entire thesaurus.

1. Extemporaneous adj. - Composed, devised, or done at the moment rather than beforehand. Syn. Impromptu, Improvised, Spur-of-the-moment, etc. Ant. Premeditated

2. Preponderance n - The quality or fact of being greater in number, quantity, or importance. Syn. Authority, Superiority, Supremacy, etc. Ant. Inferiority

3. Rodomontade vb - To talk boastfully (as in the knowledge of one's vocabulary [[[self-defined]]]). Syn. Aggrandize, Brag, Flaunt, etc. Ant. Depreciate

These are a few of my jaundiced words which I use if I can, but typically I speak/write in a clear way so that everyone can understand me. If big words get mixed in with an attempted normal sentence of mine, well I try to make the message as crystal as possible even with them there.

My favorite word starts with f and rhymes with duck.

Soo... your favorite word is... firetruck? Whee whoo whee whoo...
image002.jpg

I cannot believe that someone would want to ban a word that transports people who save lives. How... cruel. You know, you can always dress up as one and then we can just call it the CSD-mobile. That way, when it gets banned, it still has a name.

My favorite words are all very simple. :P I love the words surreal, ethereal, serenity, and cicada. I don't really know why those are my favorites... I just like the way the feel, sort of. I like the kinds of colors they evoke in my head, pale blue and apricot sort of colors. I also like words like lovely and adorable just because I enjoy their cuteness and the way they make me feel. They're nice words. :> <3

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Poo is my absolute favourite word in the world. It's so simple and has a really nice sound to it. It's also amusing because most people my age never use the word.

I also love the words preposterous and abomination, the second of which I love to use in the sentence 'You are an abomination against mankind'

Garo

Boy Wonder
My three favorite words are lugubrious, pulchritudinous, and brobdingnagian.

I don't recall how I found lugubrious – it's just an example of many words I randomly found on the Internet when looking for big words that mean simple things. I absolutely love words like that. Lugubrious can essentially mean "sad".

I had to read Heart of Darkness for class a few years back, and all of my classmates and I were infinitely amused by Conrad's use of the phrase "lugubrious drollery". Now that you mention it I think it may be one of my favorites too.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I had to read Heart of Darkness for class a few years back, and all of my classmates and I were infinitely amused by Conrad's use of the phrase "lugubrious drollery". Now that you mention it I think it may be one of my favorites too.
It's funny you bring that up! I had to read through Heart of Darkness as well, and I became very excited when I found the word "lugubrious" in it, since it was one of the first times I'd ever seen the word actually used in a book. ^^ I almost added that into my post earlier...

Rachel

be vigitant
Epidermis (n) - the outer layer of the skin.

Tell a friend that their epidermis is showing and see the look on their face.

"Combo". Just say that out loud to yourself right now. But, say it like, "Com-BO". Pretty great.
Especially C-C-C-Combo Breaker! Or Wombo Combo! c:

But my favorite words came from my AP Literature class when we had vocabulary. Verisimilitude, which is the appearance of reality in something, is one word that has stuck on me from that class. The other one is hoi polloi. Hoi polloi is used when talking about commoners or the masses.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
My favorite word is "ironic." I really enjoy the concept of irony, it makes me laugh more than any other. Plus, it's a great word to use in a lot of situations, in order to cause people to produce funny mental images. It's just rare enough that it's intriguing, and yet it's not so rare that no one knows what it means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom