• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Retro Console

What is your favorite retro gaming console?

• NES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SNES

• N64

• Master System

• Genesis

• Saturn

• Atari (any)

• TurboGraphx-16

• Other

• Total voters
Yes, I am fully aware that there is already a favorite console thread. However, it doesn't cover the retro consoles. So, out of the choices given I would have to say I like SNES the most. Super Mario World, SM All Stars, Earthbound, aLttP, ActRaiser, F-zero, Super Metroid, millions of fighting games, and the list goes on... They were all classics! Granted, I do like some Genesis games, but I think that SNES is where it's at.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Toughie... I'd say I love our Megadrive (Genesis) and our SNES equally... but if I had to pick one, it'd have to be the.. Megadrive actually *pets SNES apologetically*. Simply because I AAAADORE Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2, and I have so many good memories of playing them with my Dad on a Sunday morning... Mobius was such a bright and interesting world to me as a kid. And there were evil Robots. (We also had a load of random other games which were fun to break out when you were bored :3)

Though the SNES actually has more games I adore, they practically raised me lol. LoZ:LttP, Super Mariokart, SM All Stars, and Super Bomberman 2. It doesn't get much better than that :3 (apart from maybe roleplaying Navi while my dad was playing Ocarina of Time, pointing out the switches and enemies, but we got our '64 in 2000, so I'm not counting it lol)

Damn you for making me choose one over the other lol :)

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Well, I own two retro consoles. The N64 (I'm sure many of you have heard of) and the ColecoVision (If you don't know what it is, ask your dad). Personally, I like the N64 the best, but the ColecoVision had a lot of the old arcade that you never seem to see anymore on consoles or the actual arcade. I have tried the NES before (The controller was a lot smaller, and I wasn't a fan of the in-curved buttons), and it was quite fun (I have four NES games on my Wii, actually), and the SNES had some great titles in it as well. However, it was the N64 that really stood out to me.

No, it wasn't due to nostalgia. If I picked a console for nostalgia, it would have been the ColecoVision.

I

iwonn

Hmmmm.... I'd have to say N64, because of nostalgia, great games, RAREs golden hour, and well, what's not to like about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kazumi

chagy
I honestly cannot decide. Of all of the options above in which I own.. Which are the N64, Atari 5600, SNES, and Playstation, I honestly cannot pick just one.. So I will talk about all of them, and pick after.

N64: I've had a lot of fun with my N64. It has some of the best game's I've ever played. Of course including Majora's Mask, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Pokemon Stadium, Lego Racers, and Kirby: Crystal Shards.. Just to name a few. I'd have to say recently I've had the most fun with Mario Kart 64. My friend and I play it hours at a time, and even though we've got gold on all of the cups on 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc, we still play it often, and have so much fun.

Atari 5600: The thing I enjoy most about this is all of the classic arcade games I can play. It's so much more convenient, and fun then playing them on an arcade pack for the Gamecube, or playing them on the internet. Though my dad gets the most use out of the thing by far..

SNES: I agree with most everything everyone else has said. The SNES is another classic with great games, and great memories. Super Mario Kart, A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and Earthbound to name a few. I can't say that my friends enjoy playing my SNES quite as much as my '64, but it's still excellent.

Playstation: There aren't quite as many classics on this one, but it's still great. Metal Gear, Crash Bandicoot and Final Fantasy. I especially have fun playing Crash Bandicoot on this thing. I've spent so much time. That game really is quite enjoyable..

All and all, I hate to say it, but I have the most fun with my N64. Mostly because my friends have the most fun with it, and there really are some great games on there to play with friends.

Its odd seeing the likes of Playstation and N64 in a "retro" gaming system thread. Maybe I'm just old now, but retro to me is anything Genesis/SNES and prior (including GB and GBC). So I voted based on that, and went with Genesis. The Sega Genesis was my first system (that was actually mine). My sister had an NES way before that, and I eventually picked up a SNES along the way, but the Genesis holds a good portion of my childhood and early gaming experience. I was all about some classic Sonic the Hedgehog and Mortal Kombat, along with the occasional weird (yet awesome) game, like Boogerman. Genesis was just a great system, not so much on the graphics, but most games had better sound, music, and gameplay features (for those which were released on both the Genesis and SNES). As long as you had a good 6-button controller and wasn't trying to work the 3-button, the Genesis was truly a must-have.

It's not on the list, but I would have to go with the original Game Boy as might absolute favorite, along with the SNES coming in at second. There are just so many games I adore for the GC, more so than the SNES even. There are three magical games that always keep me coming back to those classic games. Mario Land, Metroid II: Return of Samus, and Link's Awakening. Those three games are pure gold to me, right to the very core. I play most of them on emulators nowadays, but the Game Boy gets an enormous amount of respect for me. You can call me crazy, but I've always enjoyed Mario Land more than Mario Bros 3, and Link's Awakening more than A Link to the Past. Metroid II does pale in comparison to Super Metroid, but I still love it more than Zero Mission or Fushion.

Zarom

The King
Among those choses, I only own the N64 and the SNES. And I will go for the N64 for my favorite retro game console.
I enjoyed the SNES too, great games and I had tons of hours of fun on it with my family and alone. :) But I played only a few games on it, including Mario and Donkey Kong, because well, I don't know. :) I remember back when my parents were playing with us. Haha, that was such a beautiful moment. :D

But I had the N64 the year it came out, and I've played my first Zelda ever on it, being OOT. I've passed so many hours on this system, it's crazy. There was so man great games on it, like Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Banjo, Pokemon, Perfect Dark, etc. So many awesome games were on it and I truly enjoyed every momnt playing on my N64.

Mute

一員
It's really hard to choose for me, but I'd probably have to go with the SNES, 64, or Playstation. Mainly because they all have a lot of games I really like and because of nostalgia. Of course, the Saturn gets a few points in the nostalgia factor.

The SNES had a lot of great RPGs, and I tend to play them more than any other, some of which include the Final Fantasies they released and Earthbound. Along with that, it had Super Metroid, LttP, and a few good Mario games.

The 64 has the most nostalgia to me since it was my first console. (The times I played before then was when my brother owned the consoles.) I've probably played it more than any other console I've ever owned. It's also the console that has my favourite 3D Zelda; Majora's Mask.

The Playstation...Has a lot of nostalgia to me, almost as much as the Saturn. I have a lot of memories of watching my brother play a few games and also playing some of my own. Also, since I'm a bit of a Final Fantasy fan, it allowed me to play them when they switched from Nintendo to Sony.

Then, as an honorable mention: The Saturn. Since I have no access to one, it's mostly nostalgia, but it contains some games I would pay way more than they're worth to play again. I have so many fond memories of playing Bug!, Astal, Panzer Dragoon, and a few more games for it. It's probably the one console I have the most memories with.

Well, they're not that great of reasons, but I guess nostalgia can really impact a decision. But since I couldn't choose one, I felt I should give the reasons why I couldn't choose a single one.

Last edited:

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
For me, the choice is easy. The N64. No other system has as many games for it that I like, and it also houses by favourite video game of all time (not a Zelda game :O ). Also, it was my first console. I look forward to going home at Christmas time and summer time to play it again. As of yet, no other console can even come close to the amazing-ness of the N64 (although the Wii is creeping up there).
Second would be the original NES. That system has so many amazing games, and I wish that we still had ours.
Third would be my Sega Game Gear. I rarely ever use it anymore, but I still love it.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well... this sure is tough... I'm bound between the N64 and the SNES... the N64 had so many great games but the SNES practically raised me with SMAS, I think an early Mortal Combat (I do know it had people fighting in it MK style but I don't remember if the fighters were MK), some kind of Aladdin game that I spent ages trying to beat (I actually beat my first video game [the Aladdin one] when I was 4 I think) in addition to having many great games as well.

And the N64 had DK64, OoT (granted I didn't know about until 2007 with the VC but still), Mario Kart, Rayman, Star Fox, Super Mario 64, and it goes on. While I voted for the N64 without thinking much now that I think about it the SNES was in my opinion better.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Hmm...well my favorite retro console would be the SNES. Man, I have so many memories of playing games on that system and not to mention it was the first console that I actually owned and was able to play a lot when compared to the other consoles that were out at that time. I have so many favorite games on that console that sometimes I'll just go back and play them if I'm feeling nostalgic.

linkman8

True and Noble
I would have to choose the Sega Genesis. I had one of those back in the day, and with the amount of games I had for it, that thing provided hours upon hours of entertainment. It had a decent arrangement of games too, ranging from fantasy games to action games to sports games to that awesome Michael Jackson game. Besides, I never owned any other retro system besides the Atari, but I liked the Genesis the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom