• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Mario 64 Level

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Honestly my avorit stage in SM64 would be the one where you have to Chip off Whomp's Block or whatever it's called. I don't know why but the entire design of that stage makes me feel great.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Whomp's Fortress? That's a fantastic stage, they even redid it in Galaxy 2 (as throwback galaxy or something).
*spits out coffee*
Looks like I'll have to speed through the rest of SMG2 and play this throwback galaxy. That sounds freaking amazing. I'm ready.
---
TO STAY ON TOPIC: Part of what gets me in Whomp's Fortress is the spiraling feel of it all, at least when locked camera is engaged. I do love me a good spiraling stage; in games like Bomberman 64 practically every stage was a huge spiral, and I guess the same could be said for SM64. But Whomp's Fortress to me really emphasized the verticality of it all..

I love Bowser in the Fire Sea. It's such a great boss level and the speed runs are crazy. It felt different than the other two Bowser levels with lava all around instead of dark pits. The actual Bowser battle where his jump flipped the arena was cool too.

Favorite proper level? It's a toss-up between Whomp's Fortress and Shifting Sand Land. Whomp's Fortress is pretty simple, yet flying up to get the red coins and breaking down the wall were pretty clever. As for Shifting Sand Land, the pyramid is brilliant.

I'd say Shifting Sand Land that ALIT mentioned is a favorite of mine. The place is already huge with tons of varied Stars, but then there is also a massive Pyramid inside which was one of the most memorable parts of the game for me.

Hazy Maze Cave I love, it's just strange, mysterious and otherworldly.

By the same token, Wet-Dry World is a rare example of a water level down right. Changing the water levels to explore new areas was fun, and one of the best examples of early 3D exploration I can remember. Plus finding the sunken city was one of the coolest bits of atmosphere and exploration on the N64. I loved it.

There are so many good ones to choose though, there really isn't a *bad* level in the game.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Having not played it in soooo long, I'm going with the first level. Sure it might be the objectively best level, but that moment of playing it for the first time... can't be beaten. I remember just running around for a while and not even trying to do anything! And then getting killed by the chain chomp. I wanted his star and thought maybe I could squeeze through the gap in the bars. :( Turns out I can't.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Well, I'm really, really fond of Boo's Mansion, just having a different way of entering the level is pretty brilliant and the first time I accidentally discovered the basement was pretty brilliant.

The lava level is also really brilliant, I love "skating" around on the coopa shell on the lava, and entering the volcano and going the two different path's up is pretty cool, too.

To be honest there are a lot of levels in the game I really enjoy, I love the slides in both the snow world and the mountain world, I love battling the hands in the shifting sand world (that's the last star I do in the level so that I can look forward to it), I first learned jumping between buildings in the hidden city in the water level, and big/small island is also brilliant.

It's a great game overall, one of my favourite Mario titles (alongside Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World).

I always thought Hazy Maze Cave was a pretty cool level back in the day. The part I remember the most is the bit where you have to ride on the dinosaur in the basement area.

Cool, Cool Mountain's another favorite of mine, too. Always loved snow levels.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I'm going to have to go with Hazy Maze Cave. I liked how it branched out into different paths, and the loch ness monster in the basement was adorable. I wanted one as a pet.

Boo's Mansion freaked me out as a kid, but I bet I would appreciate it now.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
There are a lot of good ones... Whomp's Fortress and Boo's Mansion were my favorites. The Princess's Secret Slide was really cool too, though not everyone would count that as a stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom