• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Enemy AI: Based Around the Sword, or Completely Independent?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hey all, I'm here with a question: how do you want the enemy AI to act? Do you want the AI to be erratic in its behavior, you know, independent from your own actions (to an extent) like that of every Zelda game previous to Skyward Sword, or do you want the enemy AI to act and react based on the positioning of your sword? Why do you pick one option over the other? Or maybe you have another option totally different?

I really want to AI to return to the good ol' days of being spontaneous, doing whatever random code it generated rather than being a gaping fool for that sexy Master Sword that I wield. I feel like the former leads to a better game as it requires (somewhat) more skill, and it just creates a better experience for me. Because the AI is sporadic, I cannot predict its next move so easily and I do not CONTROL what it does either. Things can actually get tough as this kind of AI typically relies on timing rather than positioning, which is my kinda Zelda AI.

I forgo the latter option because, while it still requires skill, I don't like manipulating the enemy directly (except in certain cases like Dark Link, but those cases shouldn't invade the entire game). In general, these games are far too easy (SS was a breeze) and they don't make me have a feeling of fulfillment when I complete the game or even get past the enemies. The most basic of enemies is too basic because I control them directly, and the most complex of enemies is too basic...because I control them directly. There's no difficulty, there's no challenge, and the only way for either to be present in this kind of AI is for the controls to be bad or just hard to control.

The above is my opinion, please don't attack me for it.

izi

Not A Wizard
I want it to be something new. SS's AI was built around defending against certain sword swings, and that worked for Skyward Sword. If a new item that the game revolved around, which I would have mixed feelings about early on (Shrimp Shield, anyone?), then a new combat system should be developed. But if it's a Zelda game that revolves around the use of your arsenal rather than a single weapon, I would be the first guy to support the reprise of the Wind Waker combat system.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I want it to be something new. SS's AI was built around defending against certain sword swings

Half of it was. They still attacked as frequently as they did in the past, especially the more advanced versions (Quadro Babas, Blue Bokoblins, etc.). I know you're not criticizing SS's AI, I'm just saying that's not all there was to it.

But if it's a Zelda game that revolves around the use of your arsenal rather than a single weapon, I would be the first guy to support the reprise of the Wind Waker combat system.

I'm just genuinely curious with this. I'm not attacking your thought process.

What about The Wind Waker's combat makes it so special that you pointed it out, namely in terms of using Link's arsenal? It really wasn't much different than the N64 games' combat, which was mostly the sword.

izi

Not A Wizard
What about The Wind Waker's combat makes it so special that you pointed it out, namely in terms of using Link's arsenal? It really wasn't much different than the N64 games' combat, which was mostly the sword.

You're correct. What I liked about Wind Waker, however were the seamless different combo-attacks you could perform after a few basic strikes. About the arsenal; in Skyward Sword, it made sense to use the sword for the majority of the combat in the game. Occasionally you would use the Beetle to cut down a Deku Baba, or something else, but other than that, you were using the sword. In TWW, I could whip out the hammer at any time to do some damage, or use the Grappling Hook to distract the enemy for a second while grabbing some goods. The Wind Waker does not hold the title for the most "revolutionary" or "intuitive" combat system of any Zelda title (it probably belongs to Ocarina of Time or Skyward Sword), but I feel like it was one of the most developed and versatile.

Bring back the gold old days of hitting enemies in the face when you wanted to. =]

Big woop, the enemies blocked in SS and stumbled you but it felt much better in WW when an enemy blocked you and retaliated quite viciously, WW was a lot more sword based than the other games barring SS i think because of the parry and the timing you needed to take out some bigger bad guys, which preferred over the hold-you-sword-here-wait-for-it...-attack-D'oh! thing of SS.

But really as far as combat goes in 3DS with us being unlikely to have motion control (i doubt they'd use gyro for sword control, surely they wouldn't) we'll have most of the battle won over SS because we'll have buttons, so i'd like some good ol WW timing style fighting with some TP hidden skills. The hidden skills NEED to come back.

I don't understand the argument against SS's enemies. I felt as though they were some of the most versatile and intelligent the series has to offer, not to mention the most quirky. The best example being the Lizalfos which not only drove me to the bring of insanity with its annoying screams but also evaded, parried, and struck back. That said, I love pre-SS enemies as well especially in ALttP and OoT. While individually never challenging, when paired together in certain combinations they made for a tough time. It's more likely we'll see this type of dangerous denizen in Zelda 3DS as full motion control is not present.

The enemy I want to see in the future is the cunning, endurant, elusive variant. In short, I'd like nothing short of what TP's Darknuts are without their armor. Also, I'd like for Ninty to surprise us with a plethora of new dangerous denizens. Seeing a foe you've never fought before always injects freshness into the battlefield. SS slightly dabbled in this realm with its Eye Guardians and crab like Ampilus although that wasn't enough and far from difficult.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
You're correct. What I liked about Wind Waker, however were the seamless different combo-attacks you could perform after a few basic strikes. About the arsenal; in Skyward Sword, it made sense to use the sword for the majority of the combat in the game. Occasionally you would use the Beetle to cut down a Deku Baba, or something else, but other than that, you were using the sword. In TWW, I could whip out the hammer at any time to do some damage, or use the Grappling Hook to distract the enemy for a second while grabbing some goods. The Wind Waker does not hold the title for the most "revolutionary" or "intuitive" combat system of any Zelda title (it probably belongs to Ocarina of Time or Skyward Sword), but I feel like it was one of the most developed and versatile.

Combos...you mean like how I could just stab and boomerang the enemy with them defenseless to do anything about it? 0.0

I don't have SS and I only played it a few times but i like the way you can beat bokoblins 2-3 super fast slashes, it's fast pace and i like it, maybe they should do something similar with Z3ds. But they definitly should bring back the old enemy AI but smarter than the SS AI.

izi

Not A Wizard
Combos...you mean like how I could just stab and boomerang the enemy with them defenseless to do anything about it? 0.0

I think a more accurate explanation would be proper A/B button timing to pull of new, different attacks, rather than the traditional sword swing or spin attacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom