• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Enemies AI

linkman8

True and Noble
If the monsters didn't hesitate and there were more of them attacking you at once, the game would be so much harder.

Back in the ALttP days, as soon as enemies saw you they charged at you. Now-a-days we have enemies who stalk you, but have no defenses. They carry shields, but they do NOT know how to use them.
That's a good point. How the enemies use what's given to them. I mean, they all use their swords, but do they ever really use their shields? Some do, some don't. Also, I think it would be cool if the enemies had inventories that could include maybe a bomb or something, along with arrows, a bow, etc. That way they can adapt to different situations. Again, that would take some pretty AI though.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
That's a good point. How the enemies use what's given to them. I mean, they all use their swords, but do they ever really use their shields? Some do, some don't. Also, I think it would be cool if the enemies had inventories that could include maybe a bomb or something, along with arrows, a bow, etc. That way they can adapt to different situations. Again, that would take some pretty AI though.
That would be AWESOME.

You know how in Metroid Prime 2 & 3, Dark Samus would continually stalk you, provoking the occasional battle? What if Dark Link stalked you in the next Zelda, but he would be given every weapon you have to fight against you.

Bombs, arrows, hookshot, deku nuts, etc etc etc

I would love it, and that would make for one really awesome 1v1 multiplayer game.

Amelie

Air Dancer
The dark link idea actually sounds very fun. I cant help but wonder if it might get annoying after a while though... I mean... I guess as long as he was not TO hard to battle it would be OK. I just dont want it to end up like FF 2 where you get attacked all the time by some monsters and they kill off your party.. leading to major frustration ><

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Well, Nintendo games have been using pretty much primitive AI. In the 3D systems, it was much easier, for there was no elevation changes or advanced AI to use. All it was composed was of the following "unit ENEMY: if USER on Plane (If a specific ray that starts from the enemy's to the end of the screen hits Link), unit ENEMY goto USER. if contact USER, then subtract DAMAGE (Take the life points away from Link)".

Now, in the 3D world of gaming, we need a more complex and realistic system. For this one, I'll use enemies that use both a sword and shield, such as Stalfos from Ocarina of Time. The code is not even similar to the above code. The coding styles is more of a random generator, in which the AI randomises if it wants to attack, take down it's shield for a second, or just stand in a shielding position. "ENEMY STALFO *GENERATE UNIT*. if UNIT=1, then ORBIT USER. if UNIT=2, then STOP ORBIT. if UNIT=3, then REMOVE SHIELD. if UNIT=4, then ACTIVATE SHIELD. if UNIT=5, then ATTACK." Units five and up are various attacks. However, the Dark Link battle is much different. Dark Link is always a second behind. That is why it is easy to kill Dark Link by holding your shield, then quickly doing a jump attack. Dark Link would take down his shield to try to counter it, but it would be too late, thus causing either a compliment in programming or a missed bug. Now, adding weapons and such would only add on as to how many UNIT attacks there would be, thus randomising the game much more. However, there is now newer AI, as found in Twilight Princess, in which if harm to a comrade happens, they see you, or if they "hear" you, they would try to attack you. Then, the AI would think either faster or slower, sort of like Super Smash Bros, in which the AI was not simply difficulty, but delaying the thinking process of the console. I honestly don't know about these, but I do know that this is quite similar.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I think the AI is definitey in need of some upgrading. There should still be stupid enemies, but as it was stated above, the smarter ones shouldn't be a "figure it out once and you've got them all" type situation.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this in TP, that the chus were probably some of the smarter enemies in the game? While they weren't tough to beat, they actually would group together to form a large chu before attacking. If you cut it apart, they would actively search out more chus to reform into a large chu again before attacking again. This only seemed to happen when there were a lot of chus already in the area, but I thought that was kind of impressive AI considering they were just a low level character.

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
That would be AWESOME.

You know how in Metroid Prime 2 & 3, Dark Samus would continually stalk you, provoking the occasional battle? What if Dark Link stalked you in the next Zelda, but he would be given every weapon you have to fight against you.

I would love it, and that would make for one really awesome 1v1 multiplayer game.
That's a great idea, they could make him have a respawn point, and he'll randomly wander around. If he see's you, he'll start following you and attack you when he's closer.

As for other enemies..

Since undead enemies wouldn't really use strategy as they don't have minds of their own, they should just do one thing: Attack link.

Weaker enemies who would travel in hordes would start to flee when most of their allies are getting killed.

Yes, the mosters in zelda aren't very smart.

I personally would not like normal enemies to behave this way. I mean, powerful AI for battles would be great, but enemies keeping their damage, retreating and respawning occasionally... I don't think it would really work for Zelda. But that's just me.

However, for special characters like Dark Link, or bosses, etc., I think it could be an interesting idea.

And if they were to improve the AI of enemies in actual battles, then that would be something I'd be into.

That would be AWESOME.

I don't know about Prime 3, as I haven't played it, but in Prime 2 Dark Samus does not actually stalk you. It gives you the idea of it, but Dark Samus really only shows up at preset points, only three of which result in a battle. I still think that would be interesting for Dark Link, either way, and agree with you.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
For enemies that work in Tribes, they should have some sort of team moves to work together. Let us use our friendly Bublins as examples and let's use the Aribiter Grounds as an example area.

The enemies work together to kill you and think smarter in their natural enviroment. The Bublins would hide behind small walls then jump over them when you get close to them.
They would also have an alarm system like MGS, however when you activate the alarm, the guard stays on guard fully with formations.

My own example: When you approach a large group of 5 bublins, 2 shall try to get into arrow aiming spots. If you give chase, one bublin will move fast and hit you with a tripping stick so the others can get away. Etc for more.

In environments that the Bublins have yet to explore they would be less crafty and use the surroundings in a more obvious fashion.

--------
For stand alone enemies, they would try to work together or fight each other as a form of competition.

Chu-chus for example could attempt to form larger chu-chus by combining with each other.
Poes could eat each other and use the other as ammunition or energy.
Wizzrobes could attack in groups and attempt to fool you using a spell on each other but casting a sort of reflect that would allow them to hold out unless enough pressure is applied.
Darknuts can use everything on the ground to attack you and would even use other enemies to try and kill you.

The possiblities for higher enemy AI is endless.

Twili Kid

Many pointless questions
I would enjoy a more intelingent AI. And here is when I bring up one of the smartest enemies which is sadly the the little spiders in the Temple of time. They come in giant packs and basicly one at a time they would come at you while you weren't looking and attack, but before you could recover they ran away.

I feel bosses or tough ememies like darknuts could fight as fast as you can. It would be like fighting another player except he/she is bigger and your whole battle would haved to be changing how you attacked the weak point. It would be a 1 on 1 sword duel with basicly another player fighting against you, woudnt that be great

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I would like to have smarter enemies in Zelda. It would add to the difficulty of the game which means that it would make you work harder to beat it. :)

Although at the same time, I don't want the enemies so hard that it makes you want to throw the controller at the screen in frustration because you've tried everything at your disposal to destroy the little fiends and nothing worked. I would just like for the enemies to be hard enough that it wouldn't make them seem so weak and that it would give your encounters with them the feeling that they're actually worth fighting. :)

www.zeldainmypocket.com
The idea wasn't simply to make the game harder, but different. I think it would be so much more fun if every battle was a little different. I would like to see the monsters tag team it at times, and have certain ones run away if they sustain a high amount damage.

Here's a "for instance" scenario: As you walk into in Hyrule Field (TP), some Bokoblin archers would shoot at you from a hill in the distance to draw your attention, while a Lizalfos sneaks up behind you. You have a relatively exciting battle with it, and you injure it. He starts howling, and a few more Lizalfos appear from a nearby cave. Depending on the situation, they may all charge and attack you, or the wounded one might limp off back home. However, the next time you are in the area, the wounded one will return, and attack in an even more vicious way, and with several friends.

At this point, I'm just rambling on, but that's just one possibility. Think about it- several of these creatures could stalk you, and you wouldn't even know it until they were upon you. If you pay attention, though, you could see signs/hints around. Perhaps tracks, lack of peaceful wildlife, etc.

I'm not saying what they should or shouldn't have, but think about the possibilities here!

Here's a "for instance" scenario: As you walk into in Hyrule Field (TP), some Bokoblin archers would shoot at you from a hill in the distance to draw your attention, while a Lizalfos sneaks up behind you. You have a relatively exciting battle with it, and you injure it. He starts howling, and a few more Lizalfos appear from a nearby cave. Depending on the situation, they may all charge and attack you, or the wounded one might limp off back home. However, the next time you are in the area, the wounded one will return, and attack in an even more vicious way, and with several friends.

I rather like that idea, I think it would make the game much more interesting, add a tad of personality and character to the enemies, so to speak.

I think doing something of this nature also allows for a whole new realm of possibilities. Adding larger caves with more intelligent enemies and animal tracks (as you mentioned) and so forth, just to name a few things. I think things like this would really add to the game and make it more interesting and fun to play.

M

madslayer333

/They should only increase the AI of the bosses and a few enimies. It would be a little too hard forsome people or children and they would lose some money that they can use to make better games.

Clucluclu

Time for waffles
Sounds good, but I think that if they ran away after being severely damaged, I think I would get seriously pissed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom