• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Dungeons by Size!

I was bored and felt a little nerdy the other day, so I decided to try and calculate the size of each dungeon in ALTTP. This is pretty simple, because every room is a square and arranged in a square pattern. So I decided to use an entire square (large room) as measurement standard, if that makes sense. Gannon's Tower is by far the largest with 23,5 blocks.

Note that some rooms are shaped a bit weird, so the measures are not completely perfect. Here are the result from largest to smallest:

Level 8: Ganon's Tower: 23,5
Level 7: Turtle Rock: 18,5
Level 6: Misery Mire: 13,5
Level 2; Swamp Palace: 11,5
Level 1; Palace of Darkness: 10
Level 4; Thieves Town: 9,25
Level 5; Ice Palace: 8,5
Desert Palace: 8,25
Eastern Palace: 8
Level 3; Skull Woods: 7,5
Hera's Tower: 5 (6 with the boss room)

By this measurement, we can conclude that the last three dungeons in the game are also the largest. Ice Palace is just slightly smaller than the Desert Palace. Skull Woods is perhaps an outlier because it is the only dungeon with just one floor (other than the bossroom itself), so it's not surprising that it's one of the smaller ones. Smaller than two of the Light World Dungeons. I have not included Hyrule Castle. Will propably make an estimate and split it into the sewers/church, Hyrule Castle and the Hyrule Castle Tower. Ice Palace certainly feels bigger, because of the many floors, but also because of the backtracking.

And I maybe that's what I wanted to discuss in this thread: Level design, backtracking and decision-making in arranging the dungeons. Feel free to comment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom