• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Nintendo Have a Fear of Making Games for Older Audiences?

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
From what I saw during the trailer, they made the game hardcore CEL-SHADED.

I have been waiting 4 years to get to know anything about this game, and honestly? Does Nintendo have a fear for making games for older people? I mean, they made TP. It had nice graphics and a good story, but look at the new Zelda.
It's cel shaded. REALLY cel-shaded. Cel-shading makes stuff more kid friendly. The game looks soft, and on the defensive. What I mean is that, with these graphics they make the game seem like its made for six-year olds. What I wanted was a game that would match my preferences, and a lot of older Zelda fans by having it very realistic, which they now failed to do. What I wanted was a game that actually gives you the feel of being Link, and swinging your sword like you are him. But they failed to do it, and I'm not happy. What about you? Is Nintendo afraid of making games for the more mature audience?

R

Rarulla6

Nintendo has always made games more kid-oriented, I suppose. That's what made Twilight Princess so awesome; it destroyed that.

They just want to sell more, also many people included me liked the cell-shading. Remember it might be a beta release only

L

Limppu

Not the grafix but the level of difficulty has to fit the older generation!
But you are right in some points.. a cross between the new grafix and TP grafix would fit the expections of the older ones.
I like it the way it is..maybe because I`ml like a child deep inside :D

I can't say I agree with you about the game looking kid-friendly. Did you see the whole presentation or just the trailer posted on the site? They showed one or two more disturbing creatures, more along the lines of Twilight Princess.

First off, I feel your argument is a little strange. You're saying that Nintendo is afraid of making games for older people, yet you're referring to a new game in a series that has always been kid-friendly. Feels like an inappropriate argument, but that's just me.

Aside from that, do remember that just because it's kid-friendly doesn't mean it's kiddy. The games have always been fine for adults to play, and I expect that from Skyward Sword.

Finally, the graphics, again, don't look that kiddy. Cel-shading does not make things more kiddy, only more stylized. Games like The Wind Waker go for a cartoony look with the cel-shading. Yet we have games like Red Steel 2 or Killer 7 which are very mature games featuring cel-shading (I'd never let my kid play Killer 7).

Just my two cents. ;)

Ikana

Trollkastel
I really don't see why cel shading automatically makes it kiddy.There are some games that are cell shaded that are not kiddie you haven't even played the game.The Zelda series will always be a Family friendly game and that should never change just remember you havent even played it yet so you really cant call it kiddie.

M

Mychael612

So, I don't like when people relate graphics to maturity. Just because a game uses cel-shading or more cartoon-ish graphics does not mean that the game is for kids. If you don't like this style of graphics than you simply have two choices: don't play the game, or get over it and enjoy the game for what games were created for (aka gameplay).

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I take personal offense to implications that SS can't be enjoyed by older audiences. The Zelda series, SS included, appeals to all ages, an important trait a lot of non-Nintendo franchises lack. As Axle insightfully observed, making a game appeal to children does not detract from the experience of others. Believe it or not, there are many adults out there who prefer fantasy adventure over realistic violence.

I won't offer a personal opinion on the graphic style they chose, mostly because I haven't formed one yet. As I see it, both directions look enjoyable, and I don't care which way they go. After all, if there's one lesson we learned today, it's that technology [graphics included] doesn't define the experience, it only acts as a tool to develop our own experience. I am willing to work with any tools offered to get the Zelda experience I want.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Come now, hardcore does not mean catering to the emo loser crowd. Nintendo has and always will be catering to everyone and always changing the styles to every game. Just because this game isn't uber dark does not mean that it isn't hardcore. It just does not seem to match your taste in colors. Graphics do not change the overall theme of the game, but instead are there to simply offer you a different experience. The graphics to Zelda games change to fit with the new generations of Zeldas. So if you think that Nintendo isn't being "hardcore" by making the game cel-shaded then I must say that you must broaden your horizons.

As for the game itself, the artstyle was quite nice for what a fantasy could have. The creatures were far out of range while sticking to familiarity and repetition. The backgrounds were firm and colorful and I enjoyed to see that.

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
The thing I'm worried about in this game is the scenario design. I mean, Link in this game looks awesome, so does some of the enemies. Just some.

If you look at the world design, it looks AWFUL! I want slight graphical changes, but else - it looks pretty good. It wasn't really what I'd expected though, and that is what I were reacting to. Considering that Miyamoto once stated that the next Zelda would be more realistic as ever. I mean, if you want to make a game realistic, you can't only have awesome controls (which it appearently has), but you need some graphics too. I was looking forward to both use of the Wii Motion+ and use of the graphics from TP.

If they threw blood in that trailer with the same graphics you would change your mind about it looking kiddy. Its a water color paint artstyle and I'm almost 20, beaten every zelda game thats come out, and I personally think zelda is a game full of imagination, and I really like this new style, it fits the zelda universe thats been around since the beginning. I really liked the Twilight Princess grpahics but I'm really happy they didn't get rid of a cel shaded game because people weren't open minded.
I think they will make a more realistic game when they have the graphics engine to do so, for wii grahics capability, I think this is perfect for it.
So, lets except it as a new zelda game, accept its unique interesting graphics, and one day we will have another realistic zelda that'll look even better on a new system.
Besides, graphics like this kinda makes everything in a different perspective, like living in a watercolor painting. Its just so cool lol

So, I don't like when people relate graphics to maturity. Just because a game uses cel-shading or more cartoon-ish graphics does not mean that the game is for kids. If you don't like this style of graphics than you simply have two choices: don't play the game, or get over it and enjoy the game for what games were created for (aka gameplay).

^ This. This is the single biggest reason that I find it hard for certain people to claim themselves as "gamers". Visuals, first of all, aren't everything. It doesn't need to look real because it isn't real. Sure, 1080p HD graphics are nice... Really nice in fact... But its not what's completely important. Would you rather play an HD, 1080p, absolutely gorgeous, realistic looking racing game that has one track and only one car to pick.. or would you play a game like Super Mario World? I guess that all comes down to your preference on video games, but you get the picture. Visuals=20%, Story=30%, and Gameplay=50% in my opinion and I've been playing games for quite a long time.

And its not the fact that Skyward Sword even looks bad. It doesn't look bad at all, so graphics/visuals in this game are not even an issue in my opinion. If you complain that the Wii isn't producing HD, well your gonna be complaining for a long time because the Wii can't do that. SS's visual style is the best that they could have used in my opinion.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
The thing I'm worried about in this game is the scenario design. I mean, Link in this game looks awesome, so does some of the enemies. Just some.

If you look at the world design, it looks AWFUL! I want slight graphical changes, but else - it looks pretty good. It wasn't really what I'd expected though, and that is what I were reacting to. Considering that Miyamoto once stated that the next Zelda would be more realistic as ever. I mean, if you want to make a game realistic, you can't only have awesome controls (which it appearently has), but you need some graphics too. I was looking forward to both use of the Wii Motion+ and use of the graphics from TP.

The enemies do not look awful, they are meant to seem fantastical in a fantasy world that is apart from our own. Zelda games are meant to take us away from the world that we know of today, not bring us back to it. Twilight Princess could've honestly done the same thing with it's enemies, by giving them bright colors like the ones here and it would honeslty be no different than what you are seeing.

Also, I would like to hear proof that Miyamoto had said that as I have no real recollection on him ever uttering those words.

Plus, you were looking forward to graphics, you were looking forward to artstyle and color. If you wanted graphics, then you should look at 360 and PS3, those games have awesome graphics that mimic real life even though a lot of the stuff there is fantastical. What Nintendo relies on is their own artistic sense, and art varies between people.

So whether the art style is immature or heavily mature that does not deny that this game could be, so called, "hardcore."

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I honestly do not understand why people immediately degrade a game as kiddy just because it uses cel-shading. For one thing, I find the style to be gorgeous. Just because it's bright and cheerful does not mean it's only for children. I've seen so many mature stories played out in less than realistic graphics. The visuals are only a part of the experience. Why judge maturity based on image when there's the entire gameplay and plot to consider?

The style Nintendo chose does not alienate the older audiences, but going for a really dark and photo-realistic style may alienate the younger audience. For example, TP's graphics scared my younger brother at a few points in the game. Considering how Nintendo has always been child friendly, it would be totally detrimental to them to cater to "mature" audiences at the expense of the younger generation. If as a "mature" player you get turned off by so called "kiddy" graphics, then you're not looking at the real purpose of the game. Older audiences can still enjoy a cel-shaded game, and I for one totally love the way SS looks. A game's maturity should not be judged by its style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom