• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Nintendo Have a Fear of Making Games for Older Audiences?

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
Well EXCUUUUUUUUUSEEEE ME (princess) for that I liked the design of Twilight Princess and would like it to come back in this game. I am the kinda guy that likes stuff the way it were. If I'm happy with something, then I want that to continue. I have no complains about the overall gameplay, but the design and how its laid out. I don't like the visuals because I liked the visuals in Twilight Princess, and I thought that Nintendo had understood that the graphics from TP were the way to go, but appearently no. And I find it kinda irritating for me to have to wait maybe another 4 years for another Zelda game to satisfy myself.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Well EXCUUUUUUUUUSEEEE ME (princess) for that I liked the design of Twilight Princess and would like it to come back in this game. I am the kinda guy that likes stuff the way it were. If I'm happy with something, then I want that to continue. I have no complains about the overall gameplay, but the design and how its laid out. I don't like the visuals because I liked the visuals in Twilight Princess, and I thought that Nintendo had understood that the graphics from TP were the way to go, but appearently no. And I find it kinda irritating for me to have to wait maybe another 4 years for another Zelda game to satisfy myself.

I did not criticize your liking towards the Twilight Princess design. What I criticized is how you seem to interpret that simply because the graphics are whimsical, fantastical, and color makes the game seem childish.

It is one thing to criticize a game for having lackluster graphics for a console that could honestly do better. However, to criticize a game and treat it as childish simply because it has an art style that you do not favor is not a balanced view.

Either way, I find this constant change of graphics to be good for Zelda, as it keeps the console games fresh and appealing. I am sure Nintendo shall return to the darkened palatte of Twilight Princess sooner or later, but know that you should not criticize this game for that since this game is not Twilight Princess. It is Skyward Sword.

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
I did not criticize your liking towards the Twilight Princess design. What I criticized is how you seem to interpret that simply because the graphics are whimsical, fantastical, and color makes the game seem childish.

It is one thing to criticize a game for having lackluster graphics for a console that could honestly do better. However, to criticize a game and treat it as childish simply because it has an art style that you do not favor is not a balanced view.

Either way, I find this constant change of graphics to be good for Zelda, as it keeps the console games fresh and appealing. I am sure Nintendo shall return to the darkened palatte of Twilight Princess sooner or later, but know that you should not criticize this game for that since this game is not Twilight Princess. It is Skyward Sword.

THANK YOU for respecting my own thoughts. (no sarcasm)

Basically what I am trying to say is that when they make a game with realistic swordplay, why not make it actually look realistic?
Anyways I hope the story and gameplay will make up for what I dislike about it so far. Can't always be satisfied :)

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Personally, I still think that WW pretty much had the best graphics of any Zelda game so far. As well, I didn't really care for the graphics in TP simply because they were too realistic and not fantastical enough. This game seems to have changed that. It's taking realism and throwing in bright colours. That's what I like to see in a Zelda game. I think it helps enhance the gameplay. While I agree that the trees, etc. don't look the best, I honestly hadn't noticed until it was pointed out, and I think that it fits in with the style of the game. In that sense, it makes perfect sense to have them so.

I mean, we still don't really know anything about the game. When we learn more/I can play the game, I may be inclined to change my opinion, but as of now, this is it.

A

Adolf Wolf

Does Nintendo have a fear of making games for older audiences?

No, certainly not. They have a fear of making games that aren't accessible to all or most audiences. If they make a game only for older audiences, they are alienating the younger ones. Now you could say they're alienating the older audience, but I don't see it that way. You gotta be more open to change, I guess? I don't know.

I am the kinda guy that likes stuff the way it were. If I'm happy with something, then I want that to continue.

But ... Twilight Princess was the first and only game to look like that. That same statement could be said about TP itself, for breaking the usual trend and looking like something out of a Tim Burton film (I think Axle made that reference first). Sure, it was intended to be similar to OoT, but it pushed the darkness and grittiness to a level that Zelda had never been to before.

Honestly, I have no grudges against your opinion or the Twilight Princess style. I loved how TP looked, it was perfect in every way for the game that it was, and especially for its story. However, considering that every game has looked quite different from the other (excluding same console sequels, and even they have their differences), I don't know why suddenly Nintendo would decide to make Twilight Princess again. They certainly didn't do TWW's art style twice in a row!

It's about the gameplay, the action, the adventure, the characters, and the story. The game's graphics won't take away from any of that.

And am I the only one that thinks TP's graphics weren't that realistic? I've always thought the N64 games had the more realistic style, whereas both TWW and TP explored two very fanciful, fantastic styles, each on opposite ends of the spectrum of light and dark. So, just as TP was meant to balance with TWW, SS intends to balance with TP.

What I criticized is how you seem to interpret that simply because the graphics are whimsical, fantastical, and color makes the game seem childish.

This is it, basically. I'm an adult (a young adult!); I smoke, I drink, I go to parties, I fool around with women, I have a job, I'm in college ... but I'm also totally down with playing Skyward Sword, despite the graphics. In fact, I think it looks pretty badass.

Hierarch7

~The Wolf~
I think nintendo is afraid of losing its child audience to older appealing games, however that is definatly not going to happen. As far as marketing goes, kids will get games too old for them any way. No matter the rating or how it looks. However, they should be afraid of loosing their older customers. We as gamers bought into zelda with Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and even before that. We might even say that we've been there since the beggining and now that we're getting older, we want older games perhaps with a more realistic feel to them. When compared to newer games out there, this Zelda version looks to be more child friendly.

:triforce: We'll see Nintendo, We trust you with our beloved series, The Seventh Hierarch :triforce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom