• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Magic Automatically Make Zelda Better?

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
I would not say that Koloktos is a mechanical boss at all. He might have been intended to be mechanical when he was built, but at the time of the battle he is only a statue. In fact, the only reason he's even animated is Girahim's dark magicky stuff that you can see everywhere (all the purple, the giant floating red heart which is definitely not mechanical). So... yeah. I'd say he's much more a magical boss than a mechanical one. But still awesome.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
If executed properly. It didn't make OoT better and it only made WW suffer.

Not at all. Magic did nothing but strengthen the Wind Waker. The Wind Waker gave us a creative flying mechanism and kept the elemental arrows. And I'm sure that the game wouldn't have been as fun without those.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I would not say that Koloktos is a mechanical boss at all. He might have been intended to be mechanical when he was built, but at the time of the battle he is only a statue. In fact, the only reason he's even animated is Girahim's dark magicky stuff that you can see everywhere (all the purple, the giant floating red heart which is definitely not mechanical). So... yeah. I'd say he's much more a magical boss than a mechanical one. But still awesome.

Actually, he would have fought no matter what. Fi states that it's the guardian of the Ancient Cistern and that Ghirahim's magic only made it stronger.

Not at all. Magic did nothing but strengthen the Wind Waker. The Wind Waker gave us a creative flying mechanism and kept the elemental arrows. And I'm sure that the game wouldn't have been as fun without those.

The Deku Leaf had pathetic use of magic and the arrows only had more power to benefit them. It was all still poor use of the element, and I'm quite glad it died before TP was released. Magic was headed down a road of despair.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You know what future titles need? Attacks like Bombos, only set to a limited space like Din's Fire.
Definitely agree. All of the medallions need to return in future 3D titles. Why? Because they're epic. Because they're badass. Because...because magic.

Definitely agree here, especially bolded part. Without the elemental arrows, I'd be bored of the bow forever and ever and ever. I'm angry at TP for teasing us with Light Arrows that a joke of an NPC uses in the penultimate battle. SS? Don't even mention that game to me.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Definitely agree here, especially bolded part. Without the elemental arrows, I'd be bored of the bow forever and ever and ever. I'm angry at TP for teasing us with Light Arrows that a joke of an NPC uses in the penultimate battle. SS? Don't even mention that game to me.

Magic would have been a burden in TP, and with SS trying to focus on the resource management and Wii MotionPlus, it was better to let magic rest again. I have a good feeling it would have felt shoehorned into both of those titles.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Yeah JJ, I don't see how the magic system hurt Wind Waker. Yeah it made it so you had to manage your magic so that you could get certain places, but a lot of that was to prevent you from beating that one mini game unless your magic was all the way filled up. My only issue with WW magic is that there was too much magic in the grass to fill you up. You never needed to buy a potion, this is true about almost all the 3D magic using Zeldas. (MM not so much, but still some.)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Yeah JJ, I don't see how the magic system hurt Wind Waker. Yeah it made it so you had to manage your magic so that you could get certain places, but a lot of that was to prevent you from beating that one mini game unless your magic was all the way filled up. My only issue with WW magic is that there was too much magic in the grass to fill you up. You never needed to buy a potion, this is true about almost all the 3D magic using Zeldas. (MM not so much, but still some.)

Having too much was one of the problems. There was no need to manage it. Combine that with the Deku Leaf really being the only thing to legitimately take advantage of the magic and you've got a problem.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Having too much was one of the problems. There was no need to manage it. Combine that with the Deku Leaf really being the only thing to legitimately take advantage of the magic and you've got a problem.

I'm not denying that it could have been better, but it didn't hurt the game in the slightest. It just made you realize that there was lost potential.

I feel as though magic truly does better the franchise and the fact that it is optional for the most part adds an extra layer of strategy that only the most observant of players will notice and utilize to its full potential. Take Ocarina of Time for example. All three main spells were optional but each-especially Din's Fire-helped in making some tasks easier such as lighting the torches guarding the entrance to the Shadow Temple. Din's Fire served as an offensive maneuver, Nayru's Love as a defensive buffer, and Farore's Wind as a quick transportation maneuver.

That said, I personally hope to see lots of items utilize magic in future Zelda games like in A Link to the Past with the canes, medallions, etc. It's understandable Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword didn't feature the magic meter since they emphasized a more physical size to combat however Zelda remains primarily a fantasy title and the magic meter serves to enhance this attribute.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Din's Fire served as an offensive maneuver, Nayru's Love as a defensive buffer, and Farore's Wind as a quick transportation maneuver.

I wouldn't use these as examples. Din's Fire was terribly underused and impractical, Nayru's Love was gotten ridiculously late in the game, and Farore's Wind was hardly needed. They're perfect examples of magic gone to waste.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I wouldn't use these as examples. Din's Fire was terribly underused and impractical, Nayru's Love was gotten ridiculously late in the game, and Farore's Wind was hardly needed. They're perfect examples of magic gone to waste.

Din's Fire wasn't impractical. I was about to die when fighting Dark Link and just started spamming it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom