• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Link Have a Personality?

Link was originally designed to not have a personality. He was silent so that you, the player, give him speech through your thoughts. His personality is essentially a blank slat, for you to write whatever you want on it. He was named "Link" as the link between player and game.

Kybyrian

I think that the player gives most of the personality to Link, how they feel about the character and all that, but the story does give him a personality. Though very little, a personality. He obviously cares going through his quest and saving the world and whatnot, but you can also choose your path through sidequests or whatever. It's hard to morph him to have a bad personality, but you can give him a better personality. In my opinion, he most certainly does have one, and the intensity of it is determined by the player.

Of course link has a personallity lol, but it really shws more in the recent games. In OoT and MM you relly couldn,t tell becouse he was face was like this '-' 99% of the time. But the determination and care he showed was there. In WW he was more expressive and more like a kid(i.e curious) TP was more like a teenager coming of age. smart but still naive.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Who doesn't have a personality? O_O You can be mute and/or the most boring person in the world and still have a personality...

Link is the player's avatar within the game, so it's understandable to why he doesn't show that much emotion. But during the times he does, like in OoT or MM, and especially in WW and TP, you can tell that he has personality. An evident example is when Colin gets kidnapped by King Bublin in Kakariko Village (TP). Link is seen rushing into the Village wearing a vicious expression that looks like he's about to murder someone. Obviously he cares a lot for the children and won't let something like that happen to Colin, especially when he can do something about it. :3

Miyamoto also describes Link as "humble and brave." He also bears the Triforce of Courage, which signifies his immense courage. So if anyone claims that Link has no personality and the only thing you know about him is that he has the Triforce of Courage... You can prove them wrong by saying that he has a brave personality. Duh. /shot

XP

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Well naturally, as video game technology progresses, it becomes inevitable that Link will have at least somewhat of a personality ingrained in him through expressions, body language, others' comments about him, ect. It becomes almost like a necessary plot device for him to have something going on behind the eyes. (I also enjoy how they've been giving him a touch of mischievousness in recent titles) Not like it's a bad thing, though. I think they're still keeping it to the point where you aren't too disconnected from Link. I always believed a significant portion of Link's personality came from the way player would act him out, like choosing the more snarky answer when presented with a question or response option as opposed to the more caring one. The conversation with Mila from WW comes to mind.. Or actions like in the Fishing Hut in TP, where you can "act like a jerk" rolling into the counter and consequently piss off Hena.

No matter which way you slice it, Link will have an inherent courageous, determined, caring personality, but it's the player's perception and the subtitles of Link's character that really build upon that slate. I like that balance and it makes his character, as a protagonist, very enjoyable and intriguing for me.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
My guy is playing Twilight Princess now. He alternately gives his Link a "hillbilly" personality (he named him "LinkBob" ) - not because it's canon, but just because he can, and perhaps a... slightly cruel personality. He's been spending this evening going through Castle Town as a wolf, seeing just how many frightened guards he can attracked before scattering them for hearts and money. I called him a "cruel wolf."

Anyway, I already gave my answers on this topic, but as an added bonus, I remembered a thread I started not long ago at all regarding our personal characterizations of LoZ's archetypical characters:

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?11648-Your-Personal-Characterizations

Enjoy.

T

Tdwprocks

If you exclude the newer cell shaded titles, Link has never had much of a personality. If you call walking through a door in a certain way is a personality trait that's kind of strange. I find that Link is way better of a character when he doesn't have much of a personality, because then you become the Link, and its your adventure and that what they've always gone for, until WW. And I have to say his personality doesn't bother me much, but it does kinda separate me from him. But I do think Link has a personality in the Cell shaded titles, and I wish he didn't. So its not whether or not Link has a personality, its which Game you are talking about.

P

Proud_2B_Hylian

Link is not meant to have a true personality besides courage and bravery (the traits given to him by his destiny in each game). He doesn't talk for this exact reason. Nintendo leaves it up to the player to choose his attitude or lack thereof. Is he a cautious yet heroic Link who gets the job done? Or mild and gets the barebones of a temple but loves chasing chickens? or like my link? (total overkilling of enemies, throwing rocks at chickens and only in it for the money and heart pieces) see, Without speech, link takes on a personality, not by his words, but by his actions, your actions through him. Link's personality is that of the player who controls him.

Beeker

Wild Card
I like the fact that Link doesn't show much personality in-game. The player can make Link what he/she wants him to be. While there has been more expression of emotion in the current games, Link still has an empty sort of personality to leave to the player. It's where his name came from: he's a "link" to the player.
I'd prefer leaving things to the imagination rather than dealing with a preset personality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom