• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you want TOTK more difficult?

Do you want the game more difficult not only with the master mode but enemys with difficult pattern of attck and similar?

I'd def like it to be more on the difficult side. Though more in the way of attack patterns and not so much the way BotW did it in Master Mode with the increased health pool and CONSTANT HEALTH REGEN. The regen really got on my nerves.

Now that I think on it, I'm really hoping for some doozies as far as puzzles go as well. I didn't get stumped by very many of the puzzles in BotW. Shrines, Beasts, and Koroks. Matter of fact, I think the only game in the series that ever stumped me (in a way I thought was fair, Zelda I and II) was Oracle of Ages.

I'm not sure if I want the game overall to be more difficult, but I would like the difficulty scaling to be a bit more functional. I'm not good at video games by any means but there was a point where your equipment just outclassed everything in Breath of the Wild and everything just kind of lost meaning. With the fuse mechanic potentially adding higher tier weapons/damage output in the earlier game, I hope for this difficulty plateau to be mitigated somehow. Raising enemies' health pools isn't really enough because its the same strategies with different numbers, and it just gets monotonous in the mid to late game that you're literally doing the same stuff as early game with different gear to enemies that are damage sponge versions of the ones you fought in early game.

Increased enemy variety will surely help and we know that Tears has that going for it, at least.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
It would be nice to see some escalation in the difficulty beyond just higher health and attack numbers. I actually have a bit of a gut feeling regenerating health could work out fine in some cases since it encourages a more aggressive approach, just that it's a tricky thing to balance vs the weapon breaking. Definitely doesn't work with overly spongy enemies.

Constructs getting fused weapons is a nice start at least. Dunno what they'll do with bosses, I'm not expecting much on that front honestly.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
I think overall it's already going to be more difficult, because the devs have had time to "bake" stuff longer & learn from watching how players have handled it for years with BotW online. Difference now is that we have a much larger (or perhaps more diverse) toolkit to deal with it, & what we will make of it from that. Without using the new abilities, I think it will be nicely challenging with the new hordes of enemy types shown thus-far, but I am also hoping for a Master Mode to crank it up even further (albeit without the regeneration because that got excessive with managing weapon durability). I think a lot boils down to how users will make use of the new abilities. I can see it being too "easy" when used in excess...

I won't say too much in case people are avoiding the official trailers, but it's going to be very fun due to the new abilities & items. I really hope some enemies will use those against us in particular.

I personally don't have much interest in a lot of difficulty in games anymore, with my limited game time I would much rather play a chill game then bang my head against the wall getting frustrated with difficult combat/puzzles since I'm generally more interested in exploration and story.

That said, I do feel like the difficulty in BoTW/TotK is almost entirely frontloaded. Early game combat is brutal, your weapons are super weak and break all the time, you don't have many healing items and many enemies can kill you in one or two hits. Once you find places to consistently get decent weapons and fusing materials and healing items and armor, suddenly the game becomes a LOT easier and you don't really have to bother dodging attacks and can just tank them.

This early game difficulty doesn't need any increase, at most maybe give enemies some new moves. Many enemies already kill in one hit so increased damage doesn't really effect anything other than push the combat difficulty tipping point out, and increasing their health is just going to make combat a lot more tedious as it's going to be hard to carry enough weapons to do anything. Even on regular difficulty the best approach is just to avoid combat early on and increasing difficulty here is just going to further reinforce this approach and make exploration even more tedious.

If I was going to tweak difficulty to reduce being overpowered in the endgame, it would probably be around how armor protection is calculated (percentage rather than flat damage reduction?) rather than just buffing enemy attacks, and also maybe putting limits on healing items like on how often they can be used (i.e. no eating during combat, can only drink health potions with a cooldown).

CreeperMaster343

Spirit Tracks Zelda best companion, LinkxNavi FTW
i think overall the bosses (especially the four regional phenomenon ones) could use a buff in health, i find they died too quickly, but other then that, i find difficulty to be pretty well tuned

Ninja

Well well well
Now that it's out, the first week I was getting absolutely wrecked by everything. I definitely felt the game was much harder than BotW was, however with the fusing system, most of the enemies aren't too difficult. The bosses are fun for the most part, but I would have liked three phases instead of two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom