• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do You Think Zelda Could Be an Adventure Partner?

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
Ok, well, I know people have said stuff about being the hero, but what I'm talking about is someone that comes along with you on your adventure. She could help fight, or maybe there could be a co-op mode. What do you think?

JoeDeLait

Zig Zag Wanderer
She sort of does in Spirit Tracks when she is in the phantom's body in the Tower of Spirits. But throughout a whole game I think it could work, and would definitely work with breaking the convention of 'Play by yourself'. It would create a very different story and gameplay mechanic also :)

Although I enjoyed Zelda's assistance in the Tower of Spirits, she's never played a larger gameplay role aside from the noncanon CD-i Zelda's Adventure. If she's to appear in a coop mode, Zelda's gameplay mechanics need to feel distinct with abilities Link isn't able to perform. The series could take a page from Princess Peach from Super Mario Bros. 2, for example, who's able to flutter jump to stay afloat for longer than the other playable characters.

While Link's always been portrayed as a traditional medieval hero dressed in the garb of the times and armed with sword and shield, Zelda could act as a defensive soil. Spells like Nayru's Love and Farore's Wind from Ocarina of Time could return. This would complement Zelda's role as next in line to the throne, protector of Hyrule, and bearer of the Triforce of Wisdom who's job is to negotiate peace, not start war.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
zeldagallery3.jpg

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Here's a better idea.

Maybe we should have a game with trains? Or a multileveled dungeon? Or how about this. A panflute :O That would just make an excellent game!

Alright, I'm just joking. But seriously, we've had this concept before. You pretty much just described Spirit Tracks in a nutshell.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Zelda as an adventure partner is interesting. However, I'm going to denounce every mention of Spirit Tracks on the count that it was Zelda's ghost and not Zelda directly. If it were Zelda, I can guarantee you that Link wouldn't have progressed past the first visit of the Tower of Spirits.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think Zelda's one of those games I wouldn't automatically want to fit a partner into. Like Resident Evil was too, I think Zelda's whole thing is about Link going into these dark, dangerous temples alone and prevailing. He is the Hero of Time, it's not, like, the Team of Time. It's just him. So, I like that along the way people help him, but ultimately I think it should just be Link. So maybe in 1 dungeon or something it'd be cool, would open up some variety for puzzles, and how she helped at the end of OoT and stuff but, overall, naa. Keep Link solo.

Big Octo

=^)
As the others have mentioned, yes, we've seen Zelda as a companion in Spirit Tracks. However, her helpfulness was very limited physically, and, for most of the game, only existed in the Tower of Spirits.

I would really like to see her usefulness expanded upon by her being a companion that can be present most of the time and be able to actually fight alongside Link. She would likely have a different attack set, consisting primarily of magic. She could both use damage-inflicting spells and give Link status boosts. Actually, by this point, I'm starting to think that this would be a bit overpowered, especially if Zelda is present most of the time...

Well then, I guess the Spirit Tracks model worked well, as she could only physically help some of the time. If she is to be a companion in future games, then I think following the style f Spirit Tracks would work best.

ILU

i luv u
Zelda can be very helpful. But should she be? Really, the sidekick role can be given to ANY character if Nintendo wanted it to be part of the game. But putting her in the role has to make sense.

It worked in Spirit Tracks because her "death" released her from the role as Hyrule's leader and allowed her assume a different one. Like with Princess Peach Toadstool in SMRPG, a chancellor took over her role. Removing her from the throne and putting her by Link's side calls for her being overthrown in some way.

But even if she is then able to be in that role, it kind of undermines her role as a monarch. How could she simply become a sidekick rather than the leader? Spirit Tracks worked because she was limited to what she could do. Realistically, if she could possess an armored foe strong enough to one-hit KO Link, she'd be the leader and Link would be the sidekick. But, this doesn't work because it doesn't allow the player to be the hero. Spirit Tracks worked because she was dead and there was little else she was capable of doing.

A sidekick/partner role just seems better for a new/different character. Zelda is more interesting when she's able to address her own concerns and do things in her own wise, brash, or cunning independent way depending on the game.

I think Zelda's one of those games I wouldn't automatically want to fit a partner into. Like Resident Evil was too, I think Zelda's whole thing is about Link going into these dark, dangerous temples alone and prevailing. He is the Hero of Time, it's not, like, the Team of Time. It's just him. So, I like that along the way people help him, but ultimately I think it should just be Link. So maybe in 1 dungeon or something it'd be cool, would open up some variety for puzzles, and how she helped at the end of OoT and stuff but, overall, naa. Keep Link solo.
Keep Link solo? So are we just goingto ignore the existence of Navi, Midna, Celia, Spirit Tracks Zelda, The King of Red Lions disembodied voice, Fi, and whatever the fairy in Majoras Mask is called(Tatl?)

I don't like the idea of Zelda being wih you outside of final boss fights It seems odd for the princess to go off and confront evil. She is the most important person in the kingdom after all. It works in certain circumstances, like if The kingdom has been taken over(Ocarina of Time) or if she can't be injured, like in Spirit Tracks.

ThePurpleKnight

ThePurpleKnightmare
yes, I like using the bow but the lack of arrows annoys me, Zelda is a character which kind has to have lots of arrows since that's how she fights, so they would fix my arrow issue. Also we need an excuse to bring back Din's Fire and put Farore's Light to good use, Also Nayru's love, can't forget the best of them all.

I'd hope such a game would be like Spyro Dawn of the Dragon though.

M

MajorasRage

Just don't miss, I never have a lack of arrows :)

We've already had a game with Zelda, as already mentioned that was Spirit Tracks. The reason we never see Zelda is because she's kinda busy running a kingdom. I would only like to see Zelda in a final boss fight, as she has always been. I don't want to have to worry about switching roles in the middle of a fight because only one character can expose the weakness of the enemies. She was great for the puzzles in Spirit Tracks, and those were probably the hardest puzzles in a modern Zelda game before Skyward Sword, but for combat I don't think she'd be that great.

Last edited by a moderator:

jack546

The chosen one
I think it would be awesome if Zelda followed you around with the bow of light to help you in combat. Kind of like the final boss of Wind Waker but all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom