• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Do You Think A Companion Will Be Present?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So we've seen the trailers, the gameplay, the name etcetera. we know it relates to A Link to the Past and it's confirmed as an "indirect" sequel. I think we can already sum up quite a lot about this game, but one question still hasn't been answered, and that would be - will A Link Between Worlds have a companion?

The last six Zelda games (with the exception of the Four Swords games) all included a companion. Now this wasn't just a small addition, the companion was a large figure in that game and actually pretty significant, whether it be a form of transport, linking into a specific power, having an important role in the story etc. Fact is, that companions have become somewhat, stellar, in modern day Zelda.

However, A Link to the Past didn't feature a companion and this game seems to follow it's lead. So will this mean no companion? One thing intrigues me though, and that would be the wall mechanic. Now I made a thread a few weeks back linking this power to Link's bracelet in the Concept Art, but could this actually be linked to a companion?

So do you think a companion will be featured in this game, if so, any ideas on how it could be integrated?

Salem

SICK
None of the gameplay footage show us a companion, so I don't think there will be one present. If they really wanna follow alttp's footsteps, the "sidekick" will most likely be like Sahasrahla, he doesn't follow you, but communicate to you through telepathic tiles throughout the dungeons.

Last edited:

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
I think adding a companion to a Zelda makes it more dynamic. Link can only express his feelings through facial expressions, whilst a companion can actually speak to make more of a connection to the player. It also adds a new dimension to the story because of their significance and their relationship with Link.

However, I don't see it being likely for this game. If it's taking as much influence from ALttP as possible, then not having a companion will make it more faithful to the original. I also can't think of what companion there'd be other than a character that gives Link the ability to turn into the drawing. Maybe they could just have another fairy character, I can't see them going for a bigger role like Midna and Fi were.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I do not see a companion appearing in this game, at least not a "I'll follow you around" companion. Z-Targeting won't happen as per the nature of top-down titles, so that rules out any semblance of a Navi/Fi. I heavily doubt we'll be at seas, so that demolishes King of Red Lions-esque characters. And I really doubt this Link will be new to adventure, so we can't get an Ezlo.

All I see is us getting a general sort of guide a la Sahasrahla. Someone who isn't omnipresent but can still be called upon whenever needed.

Fig

The Altruist
I really don't see a companion for Link to be featured in this game as the game itself is very similar to ALTTP. Seeing the footage of the game, I think Link doesn't need a companion for this adventure. Though it is nice to see a companion to follow Link and "help" him throughout his adventures, not every game has to follow that exact formula. I like to see some variety every once in a while in any video game franchise. I can't wait to see what the game will have in store for us, especially that new ability to "travel" between the 2D and the 3D worlds!

Last edited:

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Looking at the gameplay footage, it seems like there won't be any companion that constantly travels with you.

I think there most likely will be sort of a guide. Much like the owl in Link's Awakening who appears after pretty much every dungeon to give you general hints of where to go next (maybe not as obvious as the owl). The guide would most likely be a descendant of good ole Sahasrahla

I don't think there will be any companion for this game. They need to take a break from it for at least one game, and go back to the old style ways for this one game at least.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
PH had a fairy. ST had Zelda. TMC had Elzo. I don't see what 2D has to do with anything, because the last 3 2D titles had companions.

Keep in mind what I noted: no semblance of a Navi/Fi. Meaning, we won't have a companion that is constantly ringing at your door, just itching to tell you something incredibly unimportant.
Ciela wasn't anywhere close to Navi. Zelda was actually helpful, so needless to say she was the complete opposite of Navi. Ezlo came along a) because he was a hat lol and b) Link was completely new to adventure...but regardless, he wasn't anywhere close to Navi either. D:

Chocolates.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I feel they will keep the companion as a guide who communicates with you telepathically like ALttP and OoX. with you actually running into them every once and a while, i highly doubt they bring in a companion that you will see a lot, like a fairy that follows you around or an annoying thing that pops out of your sword tellin you a bunch of shiz you already know, and if you dont its cuz you have no real skill as a gamer, which is sad cuz that seems to be who LoZ developers, and Nintendo in general seem to be focusing on nowa days. but what ever

i dont think there will be a physical companion, and the only way i wanna see a physical companions again out side of Telepathic type things would be like the two in TWW where they were actual playable characters you had to play as both to solve puzzles, it adds a level of difficulty due to having to see the puzzle from two different prospective.

Long story short im tired of having a companions sayin "Hey link to do this thing you have already figured out how to do, all you have to do is this", you should be able to turn hints and tutorials off!

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
They are clearly attempting to make this game as much like A Link to the Past as they possibly can while still making it seem like a brand new game. In my eyes, this says no companion because ALttP had no companion. I do not consider Sahasrahla a companion, since he doesn't follow you around. If anything, I think ALBW will end up with a Sahasrahla type character. Once that can be called upon when in need, but isn't constantly following you around. And to be honest, that is what I want. I love having companions, but I think it may be getting a little bit old by now since, as has been mentioned, every game since The Wind Waker, with the exception of the Four Swords games, has had a companion of some kind. Time for a ditch in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom