• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You See a Mario/Link Collab Game in the Future?

M

Meatball

So yesterday I was playing Mario and Sonic at the Olympic 2012 games, and thought of something- A Link and Mario game. Since both Link and Mario are in Nintendo, wouldn't this be a possibility? I'm thinking of something where you switch off characters- any ideas? (I'm hoping I put this in the right thread. :lol:)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
SSB happened, sure, but it isn't exclusive ZeldaxMario. Personally I don't see it happening, but it 'could' because both series are sort of light hearted and can be geared to a children's audience, much like Mario and Sonic series. I don't see a Zelda/Mario crossover for sports – Link wasn't built for that kinda stuff in my opinion :xd:

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Well, i mean, as you said, they're from the same company, so a collab of them doesn't really make much sense. But, Nintendo hasn't been one to follow the norm, so who knows? But, I want to know Meatball, if a Mario/Zelda collab WAS made, what would it be like? I don't think Link or Zelda or even Ganondorf are cut out for sports... they're too... mythical. :xd:

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
Mario and Link only, that's not enough. I would like to see a game with multiple Nintendo characters (and few 3rd party, like Megaman, Snake and Sonic), but other than Super Smash Bros. The best genre could be RPG with turn-based battles (like EarthBound). For example, how about Young Link, Ness and Toad in one team?

MW7

Mario and Link only, that's not enough. I would like to see a game with multiple Nintendo characters (and few 3rd party, like Megaman, Snake and Sonic), but other than Super Smash Bros. The best genre could be RPG with turn-based battles (like EarthBound). For example, how about Young Link, Ness and Toad in one team?

My idea of how it could work is similar. Just add Link to the next entry in the Paper Mario series. The RPG genre would be a decent place for the two characters to coexist in the same game. Legend of Zelda is only a couple of steps away from being a full fledged RPG anyway.

Your idea of multiple characters gave me another idea- what if they borrowed the basic premise of the original donkey kong game of donkey kong stealing a princess but in this game it's multiple princesses from different series. So DK would be the bad guy and take Peach and Zelda. Mario and Link would team up and maybe recruit their friends Samus and Fox to go rescue the princesses in a 4 character RPG type game. It would be exactly like paper mario except with characters from other series as well.

A Link and Mario game sounds more like a fan fiction, but it might work. However, anything I try to think of ends up as Brawl's Subspace Emissary. The Emissary might be the closest thing we get to a Link and Mario game. Of course there might be something better in SSB4's single player mode.

Djinn

and Tonic
Any time I think about it, it just seems like the Mario and Zelda universes just do not mix well at all. Zelda at least tries to take itself seriously on occasion but Mario is still in the realm of cartoony antics and strange and wacky situations. The two just would not work well enough together as it would require a lot of changes to either one or the other universe. Either Zelda would have to tone down the seriousness some and be a little more cartoonish, maybe even more so than wind Waker had. Or Mario would have to dial up the seriousness and make things a but more realistic and that might make things in the mushroom kingdom out to be something out of a Tim Burton-esque nightmare land. With an ultra realistic dragon monster Bowser and actually threatening looking koopas and goombas. So it still wouldn't work out as well. Which means that outside of some kind of all stars situation like Smash Bros or something like a Nintendo Baseball or something similar would change too much.

However some of the other Nintendo properties might work out well enough with each other. The Mario Franchise would work well with other cartoony series like Donkey Kong Country, even though Donkey Kong did start out as a Mario Character originally, or Kirby. Meanwhile I think Zelda would fit well with characters of the Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem or maybe even Golden Sun universes.

Any time I think about it, it just seems like the Mario and Zelda universes just do not mix well at all. Zelda at least tries to take itself seriously on occasion but Mario is still in the realm of cartoony antics and strange and wacky situations.

I was thinking that perhaps Nintendo could take advantage of the style clash by making it a plot point. for instance make a story be that a hole appears between the zelda and mario universes and so all of a sudden link has to deal with a confusing nonsense world or mario has to adjust to a very serious one. it could make a cool game, ecspecially if you threw in pokemon or kirby or something into the mix

zellinkda

one of many
mario + link= zellinkda's worst nightmare.

why you ask? the only 2 mario games that i thought were halfway decent, were paper mario ( the one on gcn not the first one) and ddr mario mix. otherwise, i'm not a mario fan, no offense to people who do like mario. Zelda would have a lot of trouble collaborating with other games, because it is difficult to alter it without it losing something.

Link and Mario? Nah
Maybe a Link and [other awesome character with an equally awesome sword/blade]. I'll let you decide that one for yourself. Most people would probably use Cloud, but I'm sure there's many other options.
Maybe Link gets pushed over the line and joins up with Kratos on a killing spree. At least it would also give Kratos some more gods to fill his blood lust.
Or Kingdom Hearts 3D could have a double crossover. There's a thought; SuEnix + Disney + Nintendo, lol.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I don't know, it seems like a pretty stupid idea. Toon Link can easily fit into Mario's world but that's it. Their games are too different and wouldn't really workout together. Link isn't a platformer and Mario doesn't really do combat. Now a Mario and Sonic crossover is more likely. And no, I'm not talking about that lame Olympic crap. Even in a Mario Kart game Link seems out of place. I think Smash Bros is as good as it gets.

Fig

The Altruist
So yesterday I was playing Mario and Sonic at the Olympic 2012 games, and thought of something- A Link and Mario game. Since both Link and Mario are in Nintendo, wouldn't this be a possibility? I'm thinking of something where you switch off characters- any ideas? (I'm hoping I put this in the right thread. :lol:)

Technically Super Smash Bros. is not a Mario/Link game, for other famous Nintendo share the title. I personally would love a Mario/Link game. It would work in both sides, for it could show amazing platforming levels, while at some points of the game can change to a 3D world. You have a great idea, but it could take a long time before it actually happens. In the distant future, I plan to be a Nintendo game designer, and I'll try to come up with something. Heck, I already have drawn some decent drawings of the two epic "brothers" on a quest to save both kingdoms from Bowser and Ganondorf/(or a different boss such as Demise or Ghirahim). I actually enjoy that thought of Mario and Link in the same game that is not SSB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom