• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Nickname Your Pokemon?

H

huskydog777

I named only one pokemon. It was my snivy, and I named it snakey.

I don't most of the time, it depends if a name comes to me or what pokemon it is. Like if it's a little pokemon that all cute and stuff, like Jigglypuff, I'll name her something like Puffy or just Jiggly. I've never really been good with pokemon nicknames, and plus I really like most of the pokemon's real name anyway. It just doesn't feel right naming them something else.

RHhylian

Guru-Guru's strange son
In Soul Silver I had all my pokémon named after characters from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Zuko the Typhlosion, Sokka the Ampharos, Iroh the Hypno, Appa the Tauros, Katara the Lapras and Aang the Dragonite. Even the slaves had Avatar names: Toph the Farfetch'd, Momo the Sentret and Azula the Pidgey.

In Black I decided to continue the tradition but now with the names of the sages from LoZ: OOT. Ruto the Samurott, Rauru the Zebstrika, Nabooru the Excadrill, Darunia the Scrafty, Saria the Vanilluxe and Impa the Chandelure. This time, I named the slaves after the HM they were used for: FLY the Tranquill, CUT the Simisear and DIVE/WFALL the Mantyke.

EDIT: I got platinum for Christmas, and I have a team with nicknames there too now. here they are:

- Empoleon: Nautilus (named after the submarine that discovered Atlantis, if memory serves me right)
- Luxray: Tonner (Tonnerre is the French word for thunder. At first I wanted to name him Thundercat, but that name was already taken by a friend)
- Golem: Tektite (an enemy from a series that we all have close to the heart.
- Gengar: Lavenda (named after Lavender Town)
- Houndoom: Diablos (Spanish for hell)
- Altaria: Kina (pronounce K-e-n-French a; Just a name I stumbled upon and thought was awesome)

Last edited:

ArcherPanda

Level 611 Archer
When I was little, I use to rename all of my Pokemon with lowercase letters because it annoyed me that they were in all caps xD
CHARMANDER --> Charmander
Of course this backfired when I evolved it, and My CHARMELEON was named Charmander. :/
I nickname every single Pokemon I catch. Usually either their Japanese names or names of anime/video game characters that they remind me of.

I name a lot of them. I think the names have gotten better over the years. Many of the names I thought were cool or clever at the time seem lame now...

Yeah, I've nicknamed my Pokemon in the past. Thing is, I often nicknamed them very unflattering things. Many of said nicknames were mean, cruel, or twisted to be honest. XD I've named them things like "B****hH*" and "D***heface". I had no cruel intent. I'm just awful at naming things and when given the chance, I'd usually changed their names back and add gender signs "♀♂" to them[Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow] (when there was room).

shaymin1

Derp.
I usually never nickname them (other then my Squirtle nicknamed Turd). As you said, some people like the original names.

S

ShinyFlitwick

At first I used to give each and every pokemon a unique nickname, even Zubat and Magikarp, then I only named the special ones like starters. And finally, I was like...

****that.jpg

So, I stopped giving nicknames all together.

I love trying to give them Meaningful yet creative names :3 but I usually end up Just giving them People Names >__<;

A

Averi

I'm creative when it comes to names, but if I'm playing a new gen or am unfamiliar with all the pokemon I'll leave the original names to become better acquainted with the pokemon themselves. I have a bad memory and if I don't keep their original name, I'll end up referring to it like "yanno, that cute little yellow one with the spiky black tail that goes 'CHUUUUUUU'!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom