• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Nickname Your Pokemon?

Almost never.

When I do, it tends to be my starter. I always nickname my Snivy's Smugleaf for obvious reasons.

Just started White. Grabbed a Tepig. Named it T-Pig. I figured I'd give it a rapper persona.

I only ever nickname the very first Poke'mon I start out with. That one is just more special to me. :) Not to say that I dislike any of the others, but the first just seems to be more significant.

Ice Sage

these are words
I usually don't nickname them, but on rare occasions, I will name them something for speciality. Like Firefly my Charizard.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I use nicknames that either have to do with the Type or the type of Animal/Thing they are, though sometimes I am bored or just finished some sort of Series that my mind is on.

Yes I do,even if I have no idea how to name them. I already waited and hour more than once just to choose a ridiculous name :)

S

Shora

Only sometimes, I'm not really good at naming Pokemon...My first Chikorita was named Chiko, how creative. :xd: When it evolved into a Bayleef and later into a Meganium, it looked a bit silly.

CelticMagician

Phantom of Time
I nickname all my Pokemon. :3 The name usually depends on what I think is suitable for the Pokemon in question.

Prior to Leaf Green, however, I had preset names for certain Pokemon, typically after mythological deities (i.e. such as naming a male Espeon, Apollo or a female Umbreon, Artemis). The reason for this was because I didn't have anyone to trade with at the time, nor did I have a link cable to trade between my games at the time, so I re-used nicknames of Pokemon every time I reset the game to give myself the impression that I was still playing with the same Pokemon as last time.

Eventually, however, as new trading methods were placed into the games (particularly the migration feature), it came to the point where I often kept the Pokemon with the original nickname and refuse to name another after it, because the character for that Pokemon is already defined in my head. It's kind of like having two dogs of the same species with the same name, to make a comparison. It doesn't quite feel right. :/

Kazumi

chagy
I rarely nick-name my Pokemon, as to me that takes away potential trading value from them. People that I may potentially trade my Pokemon to may not appreciate the nickname, and since I made the name and traded it to them, they won't be able to change it. I also like to keep my Pokemon more organized, and this is easier if they don't have nick-names.

Sometimes, however, I will name my Pokemon for fun. I occasionally name my starter or some of my first few Pokemon that I use to beat the game. Other than that, I rarely ever do.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I don't nickname Pokemon. I never really saw a point in doing so, it just makes it harder to tell what species a Pokemon is without checking the status screen. Also, I always liked the default Pokemon names, and it felt more official... because most of the people on the anime and in Nintendo's walkthroughs didn't use nicknames either. The Pokemon's default name is it's "real" name, the only thing it can say.

The only real use for nicknames, is if you have two of the same kind of Pokemon and want to tell them apart easily.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Sometimes I did, but really, not that much. I thought about the other peeps who could end up with my pokemon (via trade) so I didn't change their name that often, those that I did change I kept. And now, I am thinking about organizing a party and name them all using my friends' names from ZD. It ought to be fun. :P

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Sometimes I'll name them, but other times I don't; it depends on how I feel when I start a new game. Lately when I've been naming them, I've been giving them names like "Flash" or "Armeen". Some names mean something, but others were just some random rowd that popped into my head. I think it's actually slightly more fun with nicknames as it gives the Pokemon a little more character. :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I nickname my Pokemon all the time. The names I named the Pokemon (like once, Chikorita was Luigi because of her green-ness), were generally the names of other franchise-characters. I kept those names ever more. The original reason I started to do the nicknaming though, was because of Richie's Pikachu (Sparky) in the Anime. That made that Sparky was distinguishable from any ol' Pikachu. Why shouldn't I do the same with mine?

Actually, that is one of my problems I have with traded Pokemon; I don't think you CAN give them nicknames, which sucks ever so much.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I never nickname pokemon! I don't like assigning them names for some reason. Maybe it's because I would talk about pokemon to other people alot, so nicknaming them may confuse which pokemon i'm actually talking about.

Also, i'll never be satisfied with the nicknames. I'm a very indecisive person when it comes to choices like names. D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom