• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Nickname Your Pokemon?

Mubble

Pokémon Pusher
Have you ever renamed any of your Pokemon?
Some people prefer the original names, some like to give them a new unique name - what about you?

Personally I do it on a Pokemon-by-Pokemon basis; in some of my old games on Gold I themed all of my Pokemon to be nicknamed after food. So if they somehow looked like a food type, color or represented it that would work - but it can get challenging after a while to think of corresponding themed items!

Something I liked a lot was the addition of the lowercase names in the newer generation titles - instead of having the name almost textually yelled at me in caps. :yes:

Do you like to use themes for naming, or after friends and family, or perhaps something funny?

Conor

the over analysing guy
Sometimes I nickname them, if a good name comes to me, I'll often name them swearwords if they were particularlu hard to catch lol, if there are friends in the room I'll end up naming the pokemon after them haha.

I don't really Nickname Pokemon. The only Pokemon I have nickednamed is my Serperior which is called Xemnas. can you see why? Lulz.:lol:

Last edited:

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
Hmm....
I almost never nickname my pokemon. I say almost because it only happened once.

I'm a math nerd, as some of you may or may not know. I caught a pidove in Generation V and, without caring what it's supposed to be called, I read it as Pi-Dove. I nicknamed it 3.14Dove. The most epic moment of my Generation V career.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I almost always nickname them. I used to nickname every last one...but this was back when my nicknames were horrible. I would take two words that sounded cool together and/or suited the pokemon in question and use that for the nickname. I remember that I named my very first pokemon, a Mudkip in Sapphire, AquaMarine. After a while, these kinds of nicknames got tiresome and ridiculous. I had a Meditite named OnionHead... :/ I also remember looking through my friend roster in Mystery Dungeon Red...every single pokemon had stupid nicknames like that...every last one of the 400some I had accumulated...it was HORRIBLE.

After that, I stopped using stupid names and started using more "real life" names, and I started only naming the pokemon that stayed on my main team instead of every last pokemon I caught. I also stopped naming Legendaries for the most part. My names are a lot more sensible now, like Mercury the Typhlosion, Selena the Lapras, Auburn the Rapidash, Victoria the Vespiquen, IT'S SO MUCH NICER NOW :'D

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
When I was younger, I used to love nicknaming my Pokémon. Even though I had almost zero creativity in the names, I still named them, sometimes very silly names, in my Pokémon Yellow. I can't tell what they were, for I think I deleted that save file years ago (I never participated in any events, so it wasn't a loss for me).

I think the reason why I stopped was because my older cousin thought it wasn't so wise to nickname every single Pokémon you manage to get into a Pokéball. Nowadays, I don't nickname them at all, for I kinda like having their original name as the name. Granted, though, I don't name my characters the default names, but rather my name instead.

No. I don't like nicknaming my Pokemon for some odd reason. However, I would always nickname my character after myself or a character from media I liked (for example, on Emerald I named myself "Vader" since I got the game 2 weeks before Star Wars III came out).

Naturally, since I disliked nicknaming my Pokemon, I would always accidentally say "Yes" when the Professor of the game gave me my starter and asked if I wanted to nickname it (my eager and impatient self rapidly pressing A to get through the conversation).

I don't. It just seems- awkward. I named my first ever Pokemon- Treeko- Timmy. I remember I was sad when he evolved, so I turned off the game. After that, I never nicknamed. Although, it does seem a bit odd. It would be like naming your pet dog, Dog, or your pet lizard, Lizard.

I'm also usually a female trainer named "Jamie". Hmm....

Last edited:

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Unfortunately, I've never been creative in naming things (my cat's name is Kitty, if that tells you anything). So, what I do, if I actually give them a nickname, is just rename it with part of the Pokemon's name. My Piplup became Pip (even though it is now an Empoleon), Victini is Victory, etc. Some of them have somewhat more original names, such as my Luxray named Sparks. I don't really give them 'people names.' It's always seemed weird to have a Pikachu named George.

When I was younger, however, I would give them cutesy nicknames. Like Piki for Pikachu or FreeFree for Butterfree. I stopped doing that after I think it was the second game, because I started trading with people besides my brother, and realized how silly that looked.

Typically, though, I don't like to nickname Pokemon. It takes a long time to come up with a name that I typically won't like, or it won't fit after they evolve.

I do, however, name my trainer different from the default name (usually my name, with the exception of Hikari for Platinum, because that was Dawn's name in the Japanese anime).

The only Pokemon I ever nickname are my starters, I feel you really share a bond with them so there really should be something there that connects you more than the others, but that's just me. I never really got into nicknaming Pokemon I caught in the wild because, well, I like the names already . . . their cool sounding xD I'll never forget the time though, in Pokemon Diamond, when I caught a Shiny Quagsire in the Safari Zone, so I named it violet ^_^

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Only if I want to raise two of the same species, each one trained differently. Such as one in physical attack and one in special attack. Nicknaming them makes it easier to quickly tell those two apart. But otherwise I prefer to keep their original species name. But that's mostly because I'm not creative enough to think of a nickname for every single one of them. I have a hard enough time thinking of names as it is.

I always nickname my Pokemon, but i always name them something to do with there species name anyway

eg. some of my Pokemon nicknames

bulbasaur- saur saur
jigglypuff - LT Puff
growlithe - growlie
pidgeot - pidgette

and so on and so fourth

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom