• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Enjoy Math?

B

ButterBaker

I have a very on and off relationship with Math.

Last year, I had a rather boring Math class. It was difficult at first, but then it eased into the daily grind (Easy Work, Lunch, home. Easy work, lunch, home.) around November, where it was easy. And then it went up into a difficulty spike around Late May.

I'm having Algebra when I go back to school and enter Seventh Grade. I worked hard last year to generally keep my mind of of the irritating and honestly, immature classmates that ask me for answers.

So I'm giving that a shot. I don't think it will be much fun, though.

Nicole

luke is my wife
I absolutely ADORE mathematics. I've always done rather well in this subject, but it wasn't until this past year - my 8th grade year - that I realized how amazing it really is. And I realized it on my own accord. (Story time yay!)

It was January of this year, and I was already busy planning my schedule for freshman year. I planned all of my Honors classes - the highest classes they offer at my school for freshman - except for my math class(es). Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II are offered to freshman. Naturally, I want to take the highest available courses and I would hate to have to waste another year on Algebra I, as most of my classmates would (not that anyone taking Algebra I is wasting their time, I just say this as I know my capabilities and I know I can excel in higher classes). So in January, I asked my math teacher if the math curriculum we learned was equivalent to an Algebra I course (to see if I could just bypass Algebra I in high school). Her response was pretty much LOLNO. She gave me a review guide for the Algebra I final exam that I would have to pass if I wanted to skip Algebra I, and from that point on, I was going to have to tutor myself or find someone to help me if I wanted to test out of Algebra I.

Enter Kybyrian! Wyatt helped tutor me with some concepts that were more difficult... more challenging than I had previously encountered. It was at this point that I realized I really, really enjoyed math. Doing the boring, easy problems in school was awful. The class moved at a snail-like pace and I could never find something that challenged me. But now that I was learning on my own terms and learning what I wanted and needed to learn, math finally appealed to me as both a challenge and fun. That's right, fun. Sometimes I do math for fun.

As I was being enriched in the more advanced concepts of Algebra I outside of school, my school curriculum was still terribad. I don't understand how we actually moved so slow in class, but we did. So for a few months in class, I didn't even pay attention to the lesson. I'd already completed that lesson's homework anyway. I was already 2-3 lessons ahead in homework. So I'd be doing a concept completely unrelated to the one our teacher was trying to get through to the class. I think at this point, if I had just decided to nap in every math period, my teacher wouldn't have cared because she knew how far ahead I was of everybody anyway.

Not only did I pass my Algebra I exam in June to allow me to take Geometry (Honors of course), but my potential was high enough to allow me to also take Algebra II Honors as well. This was a huge accomplishment for me as I had been wanting to double up for quite some time. This is definitely what I wanted for my freshman year.

I think why I love math so much is because it troubles others so mightily - as such, I feel like I'm doing something pretty cool as I'm very good at it and it comes very easy to me. Even still, it is more challenging than most other subjects to me (which isn't saying much as every subject is very easy to me). I dunno, I just love numbers and equations and graphs and solving and math yay! <3

Google "(x2 y2-1)3-x2y3=0" and you'll see how I feel about math.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I love math because it is ridiculously easy; the easiest of any core subject in high school (math, social studies/history, science, english or whatever your base language is). Granted, I took pre algebra in freshman year because my school screwed me over, but last year as a sophomore I doubled up on Algebra 1 and Geometry. Now, Algebra is the most boring class/field ever made personally speaking -- everything we did up until the last few months I had already known, I was banking 100s on quizzes and tests every day. Geometry was fun; there was some slight challenge but shapes = fun.

I love math. It's super duper easy until you get into pre cal of course (and I hear people absolutely hate Stats but idk what stats is haha). Better than English writing.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Love me some math, even though I will never have a chance to take it again. Calculus in particular was just such an entertaining subject - it probably has something to do with the mathematics of the subject being relatively straightforward, and most of the challenge lying in determining how to approach a given problem. There's always a moment when working on a difficult Calculus problem where everything suddenly clicks and you figure out how to solve it - and that moment is amazing.

Kybyrian

Math has always been a really great subject for me. Back in 6th grade I used to never do my homework, but I would ace every single math test. I remember my teacher telling me that she wasn't going to let me take Algebra I the following year because I missed too many assignments. I ended up taking Algebra I anyway, and my consistency with turning in my homework improved dramatically (I only missed one assignment!). After that I really learned to love math. Algebra I was pretty fun, but the class was super easy and moved pretty slowly. Algebra II was one of the best experiences ever, though. I loved the concepts and challenges introduced during that course. I also just took Geometry, but Geometry was really boring in my opinion. A lot of the material was extremely easy and didn't excite me most of the time.

I'm excited to be taking Pre-Calculus this year, however. I've also always had a passion for science, and this will be my first year taking Physics, which definitely involves a lot of math.

Probably one of the greatest things I've ever done with math was tutor Nicole. I've always hated teaching people and telling them how to do this or that because they never understand, but that's something you don't have to worry about when teaching a genius! She got pretty much everything the first try and I had absolutely no trouble teaching her like I would anyone else. It definitely strengthened my math abilities and was really a lot of fun. Yes, I, too, do math for fun.

sqrt(-1) <3 math!

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Atticus said:
Why doesn't 2 + 2 = 9034892348293?

Because when you have a quantity of two and you add to it another quantitiy of two, you get a quantity of four.......sheesh you're stupid :P

Anyways, I love math. My passion is physics and mathematics is the language of physics.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I love math primarily because I get it. It's logical to me, and I can't really explain why. My preference is old school problem solving, especially equations, they're like number puzzles and I have a mind for puzzles. I have a few things I don't like in math - I'm not a fan of geometry (ironically I love drawing, I just don't like drawing in a math context), I don't like math problems elaborated in a story (I enjoy reading stories, but I don't think it's fun to extract a math problem from a bunch of text, it's just a waste of time), I don't like making graphs neither on paper nor on the calculator - it might have its uses, but to me it just comes off as pointless - and my biggest pet peeve are problems that completely and utterly depend on a calculator to be solved (like when you have to use sin/cos/tan to calculate angles and the like) - once a calculator become vital to solving a problem, I no longer feel like I am the one solving the problem - I guess it's a pride thing or something.

How I came to love math? Well, my entire family have heads for numbers, so it could be it's simply in the blood. Both myself and my sisters love math and are good at it. It might also have helped that my dad taught me math at an early age, so I was always ahead of my class (which probably helped me remain ahead throughout school).

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
I'm 10.
What is dis "Algebra" you people talk about.
Oh.
and.
Mathematics is mah weakest subject and I hate it very much..

What is this "pi"?
What is this "Algebra"?
What is this "Calculus"?

XD

StarGate55555

Trophy Guide Writer
I love math or rather science. Not to hoot my own horn but I am sort of a natural in terms of science. I could teach myself (from books without a teacher) complex problems.

I love chemistry, physics, math (not calculus though), and somewhat biology.

octorok74

TETTAC
I find it useless. At least the higher levels. All I really need to know is how to add, subtract, multiply, and do short division. Everything else is just pointless. It's no wonder I love history the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom