• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do we really need a jump button?

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
When botw first got trailers, everyone was excited about the sheer novelty of "local boy learn[ing] to jump after 30 years"

But now after two games of a dedicated jump button I'm starting to feel that it's just not necessary? Like, a lot of this stuff we currently use the X button for can easily be mapped to the A button because of how specific the use cases are. Outside of that, I only really see myself jumping on the edge of platforms to gain extra height, which Zelda games have been doing for you since the 90s. I really think the jump button exists just to exist in this instance.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm not talking about leaping up cliffsides and stuff like that. They could assign that to A instead. I'm specifically talking about the actual jump that replicates auto jump from old Zelda games
Yes. I am also talking about the dedicated jump button. We need that. I am jumping constantly as I explore around.

Mikey the Moblin

Why not? I can't imagine not having it anymore. Even SSHD was frustrating for not having it after BotW.
I mean what's the function for it
the point of this thread isn't to ask if you like skipping around hyrule catching butterflies
it's to ask if the jump button actually really does anything
You enjoy jumping, that's great, but is it actually doing anything for you (outside of the specific instances I mentioned)?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
the point of this thread isn't to ask if you like skipping around hyrule catching butterflies
You enjoy jumping, that's great, but is it actually doing anything for you (outside of the specific instances I mentioned)?
The function is to be able to get a little more vertically whenever you want it or need it? To reach higher places and cross gaps? The same reasons jump buttons come standard with almost every other adventure game on the market?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The function is being able to jump whenever you want and not whenever the game decides you need to.

Mikey the Moblin

The function is to be able to get a little more vertically whenever you want it or need it? To reach higher places and cross gaps? The same reasons jump buttons come standard with almost every other adventure game on the market?
auto jump does this though
even when climbing a cliff not jumping gets you better starting height than jumping does lol

thinking about it, I'm starting to see that the ability to climb everywhere is what makes jumping so useless. In a game like elden ring, the jump button actually has a use in getting use that bit of extra height. But the world of botw is designed around the ability to climb everywhere, not the ability to jump
so maybe it's a one or the other thing, like if a future game didn't have bouldering god link the jump button could actually be useful

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I mean, the only time I really need to jump is when I'm climbing up a cliff. It's not ever necessary otherwise. And as long as you're careful, you don't really need it in any classic Zeldas either.

That being said, never forget that my first time playing Zelda was helping my brother with WW on Dragon Roost, the part where you have to throw the bombs into the pots, we could not figure out how to get over to the 2nd pot without dropping the bomb because he'd been instinctually pressing A to jump up to then and assuming that that was how it was done. Spent well over an hour before realizing that it was an autojump.
I really think the jump button exists just to exist in this instance.
I mean, I feel like this could be considered true of any game that isn't a platformer.

Mikey the Moblin

I mean, I feel like this could be considered true of any game that isn't a platformer.
games with jump buttons usually incorporate them into the gameplay yeah
I mean, the only time I really need to jump is when I'm climbing up a cliff. It's not ever necessary otherwise.
why do you think this is + would you rather see jumping be integrated more or see the button freed up for other mechanics (like two handing a weapon for example)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom