• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do Nintendo need their own expo showcase?

Are Nintendo Directs enough?

Its seems that fewer developers save their big reveals for E3 nowadays.

Sony have their own Playstation Experience expo in December which have recently been better showings than their E3 presentations.

With Nintendo riding high on the Switch, are their bi-monthly Directs enough to reach a wide audience, showcase new reveals, advertise new releases and build hype for their games or would a major showcase like Sony's December show be a better alternative?

Which would you prefer; keep the Directs or have an event show outside of E3 at some point during the year?

Last edited:
I have mentioned this previously on the forums. If Nintendo was to do this, I would highly recommend Nintendo do not copy the Playstation Experience model. Nintendo should copy the Blizzcon model.

• Each area of the event hall would be themed like a differnt game franchise.
  • Each main franchise would get their own stage time for the developers to talk about the games
  • Each up coming big release would have playable demos there
  • Esports would be a thing. Splatoon, ARMS, Mario Kart, Pokken DX and any future games.
  • The USA Championships could be there too (**** Nintendo, it's not a world championships)
  • People who buy a virtual ticket to this (it's all streamed world wide) would get early access to some sweet digital ingame loot

The downsides to this?
  • Reggie would insist this is in the USA every year. Nintendo miight just give in to his demands. This would prevent most non US fans from attending in person. The event would ideally be in a different location around the world each year.
  • The developer keynotes would kind of suck as many of the key game developers do not know English. Subtitles or Bill Trinen translating on the day just kills the awsome impact these keynotes can give. The only other option is using other staff who know english, but then all of the developer insights are 2nd or 3rd hand as it's not the actual developer on stage speaking.

So after this analysis would something be good? It would be a lot of fun but probably not technically fiesable for a few reasons.

So what can Nintendo do in my opinion?

• Keep doing the Directs as they are amazing and work really well.
  • Find a replacement foir Iwata Asks. Those interviews with the game developers were so good and so much into was gathered from them. They were all eventually translated into English and Iwata was a master of being a good interviewer. He knew exactly what questions to ask. Someone else should take over this.
  • A few more Behind the Scenes videos would be nice. The Breath of the Wild ones were really good. Other games like Mario Odyssey or ARMS would be good candidates for these videos. They don't have to be long videos, just enough to give the public a little insight into what goes on in making the game.

The big difference between Blizzard and Nintendo is Blizzard does not go out of it's way to **** over it's non US customers like Nintendo does. Almost all of the game related content and Collectors Editions from Blizzard are available world wide and they are exactly the same world wide. Not Like Nintendo who like to only insert the best stuff for the US customers and have multiple US only events and a US only physical store Aonuma apprecuates all on Nintendo's customers. I wish the rest of Nintendo was like Aonuma.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
We had a Nintendo expo this year though. It was back in their big January Switch event, and I have a feeling they will do the exact same thing next year.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I have mentioned this previously on the forums. If Nintendo was to do this, I would highly recommend Nintendo do not copy the Playstation Experience model. Nintendo should copy the Blizzcon model.

• Each area of the event hall would be themed like a differnt game franchise.
  • Each main franchise would get their own stage time for the developers to talk about the games
  • Each up coming big release would have playable demos there
  • Esports would be a thing. Splatoon, ARMS, Mario Kart, Pokken DX and any future games.
  • The USA Championships could be there too (**** Nintendo, it's not a world championships)
  • People who buy a virtual ticket to this (it's all streamed world wide) would get early access to some sweet digital ingame loot

The downsides to this?
  • Reggie would insist this is in the USA every year. Nintendo miight just give in to his demands. This would prevent most non US fans from attending in person. The event would ideally be in a different location around the world each year.
  • The developer keynotes would kind of suck as many of the key game developers do not know English. Subtitles or Bill Trinen translating on the day just kills the awsome impact these keynotes can give. The only other option is using other staff who know english, but then all of the developer insights are 2nd or 3rd hand as it's not the actual developer on stage speaking.

So after this analysis would something be good? It would be a lot of fun but probably not technically fiesable for a few reasons.

So what can Nintendo do in my opinion?

• Keep doing the Directs as they are amazing and work really well.
  • Find a replacement foir Iwata Asks. Those interviews with the game developers were so good and so much into was gathered from them. They were all eventually translated into English and Iwata was a master of being a good interviewer. He knew exactly what questions to ask. Someone else should take over this.
  • A few more Behind the Scenes videos would be nice. The Breath of the Wild ones were really good. Other games like Mario Odyssey or ARMS would be good candidates for these videos. They don't have to be long videos, just enough to give the public a little insight into what goes on in making the game.

The big difference between Blizzard and Nintendo is Blizzard does not go out of it's way to **** over it's non US customers like Nintendo does. Almost all of the game related content and Collectors Editions from Blizzard are available world wide and they are exactly the same world wide. Not Like Nintendo who like to only insert the best stuff for the US customers and have multiple US only events and a US only physical store Aonuma apprecuates all on Nintendo's customers. I wish the rest of Nintendo was like Aonuma.
Dude, on these expo events, the common person cannot even go anyway, it's by invitation only, and is only available to journalists. So Australian reporters anyway would be flown to the US, or wherever it is. The common person really cannot go to these. So.... Really, just why are you so salty? This is like me being extremely angry that Gamescom is in Germany, or the Tokyo Game Show is in Japan.

Dude, on these expo events, the common person cannot even go anyway, it's by invitation only, and is only available to journalists. So Australian reporters anyway would be flown to the US, or wherever it is. The common person really cannot go to these. So.... Really, just why are you so salty? This is like me being extremely angry that Gamescom is in Germany, or the Tokyo Game Show is in Japan.
What salt? I'm not angry at all. I was just saying what I did based on the style of the event, not who is allowed to go to the events.
The last paragraph however is a general statement, not only related to these kind of events. Just stating the facts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom