• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do I Really Need Biggoron's Sword in Ocarina?

S

styles816

Just wondering if it's worth going through all the hassle to get it? Do I need it for something in the game or is it just for show?

Also, doesn't it break a lot?

Din Akera

Sniper
:lol: Okay, You don't need the Biggoron sword to beat the game, no. But, obviously you need it to complete the game 100%.
It does come in handy in a couple places: Dark Link battle. I have used the sword during this battle, because Dark Link doesn't have the sword. But most people use Din's fire, or simply don't Z-target him to beat him.
The only other place I have used it is during the final battle with Ganon. After you loose the master sword you can use the biggoron sword or the megaton hammer on him. it is your choice.

The giant's knife is what breaks. The Biggoron sword never breaks no. The giant's knife can be obtained from the larger goron inside goron city as an adult, you purchase it for 200 rupees. If you take it to the Biggoron he says he can fix it, and you must go through the trading sequence to get him eyedropps to fix it, and make you the biggoron sword.

I rarely complete the sequence anymore. I never use it. lol

Austin

Austin
Like Din said, it's unnecessary, although it is more powerful than the Master Sword. Many people also like it better because it looks cooler to them :P. I always feel like I'm cheating when I use it, but that's just a personal opinion. There's no shame in getting it ;).

Din Akera

Sniper
Like Din said, it's unnecessary, although it is more powerful than the Master Sword. Many people also like it better because it looks cooler to them :P. I always feel like I'm cheating when I use it, but that's just a personal opinion. There's no shame in getting it ;).

lol! I don't like it cause I can't use shield. And I get hit a lot cause I'm and offensive, not defensive player. I need to use the shield, otherwise tectites would kill me. lol

S

styles816

Nice, good info!! Thanks guys! I'm gonna get it then just to have it for the Gannon battle

Nice, good info!! Thanks guys! I'm gonna get it then just to have it for the Gannon battle

That's where it shines the most, I think. Being swordless is pretty tough, especially against a final boss. Having to use the Megaton hammer makes it worse since it's so slow and rather hard to control and aim when compared to either the Biggoron's or the Master Sword. But besides that, I found it really helpful for taking out the Gerudo Guards in Gerudo Fortress. Not the ones you can snipe, but the ones that attack you once you find a carpenter. Never really used it for Dark Link, but it made Morpha and Bongo Bongo a lot easier for me.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
It's been said a few times, but it's not necessary, but it can be very helpful for times when you get stuck on a boss that's giving you some trouble so you can kill it faster. Personally, I like being able to use a shield so I don't have to hop around and dodge things, but the Biggoron's Sword is extremely powerful. I'm not sure about the exact numbers behind it, but I always feel like the Biggoron's Sword is way more powerful than the Master Sword.

Also, the Biggoron's Sword is helpful for both parts of Ganondorf/Ganon. A longer sword makes it easier to play tennis with Ganondorf and for when Ganon knocks away the Master Sword. :mastersword:

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
I usually get it. It makes the final FINAL boss piece of cake. If you don't want, don't do it. It doesn't get any much harder without.

Kazumi

chagy
I'd definitely get the Biggoron's Sword if I were you. I mean, you don't HAVE to get it, but it's very useful. It makes some things a lot easier, like bosses.

I almost always get it as soon as I become an adult. Then I can have it for all of the Temples and use it to it's fullest extent. I'd definitely suggest getting it if you are going for 100% completion.

And, no. It's the Giant's Knife that breaks. The Biggoron Sword is basically a Giant's Knife that doesn't break. Not to mention the fact that the side quest to get it is really fun...

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I just finished my very first three-heart-challenge of a Zelda game (OoT in that case) and here the Biggoron's Sword was a major help! This time I even got it before entering the forest temple and it was a huge help! It made the Stalfos so much easier! On my first OoT playthrough I actually died against the 2 stalfos in the Forest Temple (having only the Master Sword but 10 hearts!) but this time I only lost 1/2 of a heart against them! Therefore I'd definitely recommend getting the Biggoron's Sword. Actually the trading sequence isn't that hard if compared to the rather tedious trading sequences in the Oracle games.
BTW: I just noticed on my 3 heart playthrough that Nintendo was very accurate with Dark Link's OoT appeareance. Remember Dark Link from AoL? He had exactly the same amount of HP as you had and the life/sword level didn't affect that, so if you had x life points and your life/sword level was y/z, then Dark Link would take exactly x hits before dying, and a hit from hit would always take away one full HP from you, regardless of your life level.
Now that I played OoT with 3 hearts, I noticed that Dark Link had exactly 3 HP too! I remember that on my first playthrough he had a lot more HP (obviously because I had more hearts too). Therefore it took only two slashes with the Biggoron's Sword to kill him this time (1 slash = 2 hearts).

S

Slambofett

Interesting info on dark link, I like to use biggoron sword on just about any boss that doesn't directly require a shield. One quick reminder, does the jump attack do double damage? I kinda just got back into zelda and don't remember a lot.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
One technicality about the shield - I believe you can use it in a sense, you just can't use it while your sword is out. It doesn't make a difference all that often, but if you were, say, running past an enemy rather than intending to kill them (my usual strategy with tektites), you could guard against them if needed. It would also be useful in places like Zora's Domain with the octoroks.

I always get the biggoron's sword because for some weird reason I never remember to use my shield in OoT. So unless I wanted to make the game harder, it makes sense to get the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom