• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Difficulty Settings?

Could futre Zelda games have difficulty settings?

• Yes, it'd be a great addition to the Zelda series.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, if so, it has a slight chance to screw the Zelda formula up.

• No, it'd definitely mess Zelda up.

• Total voters

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is more of a what-if than a poll, but I attached a poll just in case.

Anyway, I'd like to ask the question of "Could different difficulty settings work with Zelda?". Why? Because recently Zelda games have been too easy. I was recently playing Twilight Princess, a Zelda game that I frequently cite as too easy. Enemies deal no damage, there is no need for a shield, the enemies DIE too easily, money is abundant, there is nothing to spend the money ON, and other problems litter the world of TP. So, if there were different difficulty settings, what would be affected by choosing higher difficulties? Could there be a "Hero of Time" mode in a Zelda game completely unrelated to the Hero? Thanks for your answers!

Kybyrian

I believe I heard some time ago that they were going to have a sort of difficulty setting for Skyward Sword. I'm unaware of whether it will actually be a difficulty thing or if the only difference will be the Super Guide like we saw in New Super Mario Bros., however. I'm hoping for the former, of course. It would be nice to have a difficulty setting in a Zelda game for once.

I kind of wish they had it in some of the other games, but it's kind of hard to do it, I guess. The only thing they could really do is make the damage that the enemies deal to you rise or perhaps make the damage that you deal drop. If they did difficulty levels concerning puzzles then they would have to make separate puzzles for every single part of the game, and that could be pretty tedious. That itself makes it kind of obvious why they didn't have difficulty settings before. The only thing it would really change, unless they spent a lot of time with it, would be how hard/how many enemies there are.
I think I like the idea either way, though. Looking forward to it in Skyward Sword and in some of the other Zelda games. Definitely would add that extra level of difficulty to some of the easier games, which seems to be happening in Zelda quite a bit lately.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I doubt difficulty settings would be possible, because they would likely have to change the puzzles for it to be a truly "harder" experience. As for enemies, that's possible. To me, though, difficulty settings seem like a hard sort of thing to implement in a game with such variety in its gameplay. It's much easier to implement in something like a shooter, where all you have to modify is damage or AI. Zelda is a completely different story, because you have all the different uses of items, all the variations of sword combat, puzzles, minigames, collecting items; this is only the tip of the iceberg. I think difficulty settings would be hard to implement in Zelda, hence why we haven't seen them yet, and why I think it unlikely that we will see them in the near future.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That's a great answer. I myself wouldn't expect totally different puzzles, but more enemies, more damage received and less damage dealt would be amazing. I think you are referring to a comment about "Zelda Wii implementing Super Guide". That isn't the title of the post, but a comment had said something similar to that around March, I believe. It was on the front page of ZD. Super Guide, in my opinion, doesn't fit Zelda all too much.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Replayability is one thing to worry about. Considering that Zelda games have gotten easier post-Majora's Mask, there isn't much point in doing a Three Heart Run anymore. It is entirely too easy to advert damage, or not even take damage at all in these newer games *not including the Stylus games*. I think smarter AI, more damage to Link, and "possibly" different puzzles would make for a truly epic Zelda title. After SS comes out, of course.

Scythe-of-Chaos

I'm an assassin.... sshhh
I love difficulty settings. I would really enjoy this because I usually play through games like god of war on easy or normal, but after I beat it I would definately play it again on a harder mode

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I'd definitely love to see more difficult settings. I think Zelda is great because it's a series that everyone can enjoy, but some people just can't do the difficult stuff (casual gamers, young people, etc). Likewise, some more skilled players get bored if they aren't challenged. I think a difficulty setting will further allow every sort of gamer to enjoy the series.

I also don't see it messing up the formula in any way. In the end, a puzzle is a puzzle, a path is a path. As long as they have the same end result, then difficulty shouldn't make a difference in anything except how enjoyable it is to the player.

Majora's Cat

How about that
I said "maybe". There is a chance Zelda could be ruined by difficulty settings. Zelda is known for its difficulty in puzzles and strategy, but once you put an easy mode in, Zelda will likely become the difficulty of Spiit Tracks - in general.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I think there should just be a way to choose what level of advice your helper gives you - normal is like Midna or Navi. Moderate, perhaps, would be clues only when asked (or perhaps only clues at certain places when asked). More difficult would be the ability to turn off all hints and only have the helper talk when it's part of the story (like Midna explaining who Zant is.)

If Nintendo were able to do difficulty settings, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think it would be like a regular quest and a master quest built into one game, which would be great. If that's not feasible right now, though, due to budget/hardware capabilities/other obstacles, I think changing the level of help you receive would be a practical way to make the game more accessible to new players but not dumb it down for the veterans.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
I think it will be great addition to the game and it will make happy novice and experience players. But i believe they wouldnt be able to change the puzzles only to make the enemies stronger and maybe add them some attacks so its pretty though they make it

C

Chibi-Robo Link

It think it would be awesome to have difficulty levels, and it is possible. They could pull off a Wii Sports Resort swordplay technique, where when you beat more enemies they get harder and your "level" goes up. (but you wouldn't be able to view your level, it would just be stored.) That would be Epic sauce.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
A difficulty level would be really great. I think there should be 3 levels, easy, medium, hard. Medium is the regular game, and hard is a Master Quest with no guide. Easy is for younger players, and the guide helps you a lot. Only enemies, guide, and dungeon difficulty should be changed between the levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom