• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did You Like Twilight Princess

P

Prince Of Blue

Twilight Princess was just Ocarina of Time polished off and slightly redone. The Forest Temple, Goron Mines, and Lakebed Temple in TP were just the Deku Tree, Goron Cavern, and Jabu-Jabu. Just like how the Shadow pieces were the Sacred Gems. The shards of the Mirror of Twilight were the Medallions. It was not original at all. I was disappointed in it. The only good part was you got Epone for the entire game and Midna wasn't as annoying as Navi.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Twilight Princess was just Ocarina of Time polished off and slightly redone. The Forest Temple, Goron Mines, and Lakebed Temple in TP were just the Deku Tree, Goron Cavern, and Jabu-Jabu. Just like how the Shadow pieces were the Sacred Gems. The shards of the Mirror of Twilight were the Medallions. It was not original at all. I was disappointed in it. The only good part was you got Epone for the entire game and Midna wasn't as annoying as Navi.

While I will often say that I probably like Twilight Princess better than Ocarina of Time just because I played TP first, there was a lot of difference. Yes, there was a lot of theme borrowed from OoT, and wisely so, I think, as it seems that something in the "OoT-vein" (as opposed to WW-vein) were what fans were looking for (take my words with a grain of salt, as I came to Zelda online fandom late, only about a year ago and am making my obeservations after the fact/from what I see others talk about).

But, I wouldn't call TP "unoriginal" at all. It's not OoT. I mean... I sure don't remember growing from child to adult in it, or manipulating time - or being in a coma for seven years, or awakening holy Sages...

And I sure didnt' get in touch with my beastly side when I was playing OoT.

It's just that when I see people claiming that TP is a "rip off" of OoT, I want to play the game again and to make note of the many differences.

In fact, it seems that people who dislike the game are determined to either accuse it of being a "rip off of OoT" or of being "Not enough like OoT" - a no-win situation, something by which there's no way for Nintendo to please the fanbase.

People have every right not to like it, it just that some of the reasons given/the no-win situation thing baffles me just a little bit. Then again, I'm probably what you would call a "casual gamer" so my opinions probably don't mean much anyway. All I know is that I liked TP and upon playing OoT, didn't find TP as "clone-ish" as I've seen a lot of people here claim them it to be.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
While I will often say that I probably like Twilight Princess better than Ocarina of Time just because I played TP first, there was a lot of difference. Yes, there was a lot of theme borrowed from OoT, and wisely so, I think, as it seems that something in the "OoT-vein" (as opposed to WW-vein) were what fans were looking for (take my words with a grain of salt, as I came to Zelda online fandom late, only about a year ago and am making my obeservations after the fact/from what I see others talk about).

But, I wouldn't call TP "unoriginal" at all. It's not OoT. I mean... I sure don't remember growing from child to adult in it, or manipulating time - or being in a coma for seven years, or awakening holy Sages...

And I sure didnt' get in touch with my beastly side when I was playing OoT.

It's just that when I see people claiming that TP is a "rip off" of OoT, I want to play the game again and to make note of the many differences.

In fact, it seems that people who dislike the game are determined to either accuse it of being a "rip off of OoT" or of being "Not enough like OoT" - a no-win situation, something by which there's no way for Nintendo to please the fanbase.

People have every right not to like it, it just that some of the reasons given/the no-win situation thing baffles me just a little bit. Then again, I'm probably what you would call a "casual gamer" so my opinions probably don't mean much anyway. All I know is that I liked TP and upon playing OoT, didn't find TP as "clone-ish" as I've seen a lot of people here claim them it to be.

exactly shadsie. It's in an oot vein and nothing more or less. Although I wish it had an ocarina. and it also baffles me that people don't even give tp a chance cuz they think it's too much like oot or not enough like oot. Heck while oot still beats tp and takes the number one spot in my opinion as the bst zelda yet it's still loads of fun and it was very close to killing oot for the number one spot.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
One of the main reasons I like TP, apart from its perfected combat system, fluid controls, moody atmosphere, improved graphics, detailed Hyrule Field, entertaining and original non-dungeon content, and exceptional world-building is the greater variety of secrets. In OoT and MM, secret areas were usually limited to generic holes in the ground with puddles, grass, and cows/bugs/enemies/deku merchants/etc. In Twilight Princess, tons of hidden areas and caves hid entire minidungeons, full of original challenges and obstacles. The cliffside cave near the Bridge of Eldin had you jumping off cliffs with the Iron boots to ride magnetic streams, the mountainsides near North Hyrule Field had more block pushing puzzles, the cave near Lake Hylia's Howl Stone had a dark labyrinth filled with enemies, forcing you to speedrun to get through with enough lantern oil to get the Heart Piece, and tons of other detailed obstacle courses that feel like dungeons away from dungeons. Ocarina of Time, on the other hand, had nothing fun to do that wasn't either the main quest, in plain sight in the overworld, or obviously a minigame.

Twilight Princess had so much more fun optional content than Ocarina, not to mention exceptional world-building, story progression, setting, and combat. Good times.

Like others have been saying, I must point out that, though TP and OoT do share similarities, they are also worlds apart.

TP:
  • Had Midna, who played a major role in the story itself.
  • Had Wolf Link, who in turn had senses.
  • Had no musical instruments, unless you count the reeds and howling stones.
  • Had a different story.
  • No sages.
  • No temples.
  • Zelda didn't play a big part.
  • Had Zant.
  • Had the Twilight realm.
  • Had a bunch of different items (Ball and Chain, Spinner, etc.)
  • Had horse-back sword fighting.
  • Had the Cave of Ordeals.
  • Link had motivation to save the children from the Twili.
OoT:
  • Had Navi, who didn't play a big role in the story itself at all.
  • Had the Ocarina of Time.
  • Had 6 sages and 5 temples.
  • Zelda played a pretty big role in the beginning.
  • Had 3 stones to collect as a child.
  • Had time-traveling.
  • Had a 7-year gap between Child Link and Adult Link
  • Had magic beans.
  • Had Ganondorf play a major role.
  • Had Gold Skulltulas.
  • Link purely did as he was told and lacked true motivation.
Similarites between the two:
  • 3 dungeons styled after forest, fire, and water, respectively.
  • Had something happen important to the story (cutscene), then 5 more dungeons before the final one.
  • Had a guide to help him know what to do.
  • Some items were the same (Bow and Arrow, for example).
  • Had mini-dungeons in the same spots.
And there are bound to be more in each list that I'm not thinking of. You know what, though? People wanted another OoT, so I find it ironic that they also whine about it, even though they have far more differences than they do similarities.

Nepolink

Corrupted Idiot
The shards of the Mirror of Twilight was like the medallions in Ocarina of Time? were did you get that? There were 7 medallions against the 4 shards of the mirror, i see a whole different thing between this. The whole shards was a other idea than the sages in OoT. Sorry but you sounds really stupid to cal this idea a rip-off from OoT. Twilight Princess has it's own unique story, and i didn't see Wolf Link in OoT. The 3 main ''elements'' from Zelda are just Forest, Fire and water. In every Zelda you will see this back. Wind Waker had the same only in a other order.

The 3 Fused Shadow's had not the same role as the 3 sacred gems, they were for opening the door of time, your path to the Master Sword, while Midna wanted the Fused Shadows for deny Zant. I didn't even think about TP and OoT were the same, or you must think deeply to get some points out of OoT, even after that i can't call it a Rip-Off.

You were not allowed to travel time in Twilight Princess while the biggest thing in OoT was the Time traveling and the adult Link.
I don't know i which way you can see Midna as Navi, but Mida had a important part in Twilight Princess while Navi helped you out in the beginning, she was in the rest of the game just for targeting at your enemies.

Twilight Princess had plenty more original idea's against OoT, but i will respect your opinion, i just don't see a way that those games are like the ''same''. Some places had the same and some idea's are just attaced to every Zelda game. The difference between A Link to The Past and Ocarina of Time was ways more the same.

Anyway i must say i started to like Zant more after beating the game, i like his crazyness at the Palace of Twilight in the end. His whole battle is epic while i was disappointing with him in the beginning. I would always be nice if Zant got his own power, but i like him so too. I had really problems with the ''Blizzeta'' room with Zant, he's so little and fast for me, and i can only slide over the slipy floor.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
The shards of the Mirror of Twilight was like the medallions in Ocarina of Time? were did you get that? There were 7 medallions against the 4 shards of the mirror, i see a whole different thing between this. The whole shards was a other idea than the sages in OoT. Sorry but you sounds really stupid to cal this idea a rip-off from OoT. Twilight Princess has it's own unique story, and i didn't see Wolf Link in OoT. The 3 main ''elements'' from Zelda are just Forest, Fire and water. In every Zelda you will see this back. Wind Waker had the same only in a other order.

Yep they're completely different. However there were 6 medallions not 7 but there were 7 sages. And he was probably refering to how they both lead to one of the last areas.

The 3 Fused Shadow's had not the same role as the 3 sacred gems, they were for opening the door of time, your path to the Master Sword, while Midna wanted the Fused Shadows for deny Zant. I didn't even think about TP and OoT were the same, or you must think deeply to get some points out of OoT, even after that i can't call it a Rip-Off.

Uh huh the fused shadows were completely different from the spiritual stones. Midna wanted them to try to overthrow zant and reclaim her title as queen of the twili.

You were not allowed to travel time in Twilight Princess while the biggest thing in OoT was the Time traveling and the adult Link.

Exactly! In oot timetravel was the biggest thing in the game for half the game while tp had no timetravel whatsoever (unless you count going to the temple of time).

I don't know i which way you can see Midna as Navi, but Mida had a important part in Twilight Princess while Navi helped you out in the beginning, she was in the rest of the game just for targeting at your enemies.

Exactly navi was just annoying little piece of crap while midna actually physically helped you and wasn't annoying plus she's funny. And on top of all that Midna had a giant role in the story.

Twilight Princess had plenty more original idea's against OoT, but i will respect your opinion, i just don't see a way that those games are like the ''same''. Some places had the same and some idea's are just attaced to every Zelda game. The difference between A Link to The Past and Ocarina of Time was ways more the same.

Well in my opinion oot wasn't too original compared to other zeldas while tp had a very original story what with zant as the sub-main antagonist.

Anyway i must say i started to like Zant more after beating the game, i like his crazyness at the Palace of Twilight in the end. His whole battle is epic while i was disappointing with him in the beginning. I would always be nice if Zant got his own power, but i like him so too. I had really problems with the ''Blizzeta'' room with Zant, he's so little and fast for me, and i can only slide over the slipy floor.

Yeah I didn't like zant so much at the beginning but I started to warm up to him as the game went on and the Blizzeta room for his boss battle was really annoying. I loved his craziness at the end of the game (espiecially when he found ganny (he reminds me of fawful from the mario and luigi rpgs)).

C

CapertheFox

It was a pretty good zelda game to slighty better then Phantom Hour Glass i loved how they did the graphics to it

P

Paramorefreak

Anyways, I really did like Twilight Princess. Okay, I loved it. It was a huge step up, I suppose. Not downing on OoT or MM, mind you, but I really did enjoy the story and gameplay. The controls were well and the graphics were just amazing to me.

I fell in love with the plot and the dark theme of it all. The characters were genuine and brought to life so well. But again, I just adore Midna, she's awesome~

I remember I continually kept renting the game because I loved it so much. Finally, I recieved it for Christmas. Twilight Princess is definately a good game that I will play over from time to time when I have spare time.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
First time around I did enjoy it but after I did beat it I felt it was the "worst" of the 3D zeldas. I did play through it a second time and my feelings remained the same.

About two weeks ago I started to play through the game again and I must say that it changed my perspective completely. I almost want to say that it´s the best zelda ever made! I used to think that it was far too similar to Ocarina of Time and therefore not unique enough, how could I be so wrong?!

Twilight Princess is a masterpiece!

Zarom

The King
I awaited this Zelda game very impatiently, and I got it soon after its release. But I have to admit it disapointed me a lot. :(

First, the beginning in Ordon Village is too long and really boring, that was the 1st time I didn't enjoy the beginning in a Zelda game. :sick:
Second, I didn't like much being a wolf, it was fun sometimes, but it wasn't always fun. D:
Third, there was almost no sidequests. I really enjoy sidequests and there should have been a lot more... and the few ones in TP were pretty lame.
Fourth, the game was not really original, it took much of his ideas from the other Zelda games, to me, almost everything felt like déjà-vu. :tired:
Fifth, the Dark Insects hunts were a weak part in the game. And to explore the map in Wolf Link first was a EXTREMELY bad idea. :S
Sixth, the map was big, but there was nothing to do in it. Except for chests with rupees and bugs to collect. In Gerudo Desert and Snowpeak Mountain, there was nothing to do aside the dungeon.
Seventh, the minor characters were all boring and they had no emotions. In MM and WW, they were all so lively and they had so many expressions! :cool:
Eight, the game was WAY too easy. Dungeons were easy, all bosses were easy, finding all the Heart Pieces was a real joke. There was no challenge except for the Cave of Ordeals and finding all 60 poe's souls. :nod:
Nine, the music wasn't really great. Some were okay, but most of them were not as good as in other Zelda games.
Tenth, the game didn't had the ''magic'' that other Zelda games had. :mellow:

What I liked: Dungeons were amazing and numerous, well-toughts bosses, plenty of items, a great story and the game was long. :)

So, TP was a huge letdown for me. >.<

Last edited:

Link Master

The Hero's Master
I liked this game in a few ways one is the double clawshot. Another one was the amount of dungeons there were nine main dungeons and a couple of side quest dungeons. One last thing I liked about this was the surprise at the end and for those of you who did not beat it I will not say what it is.

H

HaLink

Yeah... Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game!
Because is it a funny game and magical! Link is soooo cute!
Link-is-back-in-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Twilight-Princess-which-has-become-the-must-have-title-for-the-Wii,E-A-93826-13.jpg

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I love Twilight Princess. I thought it brought the makings of Zelda into 21 century gameplay. Now it's not my favorite Zelda game, that's MM, but it was pretty epic. I thought it took a huge leap in what Zelda would be like from now on in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom