• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Death Note Theme Song Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin

Austin
I haven't finished the show so for the love of God, don't spoil anything.

Who's idea was it to change the theme song at episode 20? I mean, just because the show's called Death Note doesn't mean we need a death metal track at the beginning and end of every episode..... jeez. All of the subtlety and symbolism of the original opening are lost to the characters having some sort of epileptic seizure to the tune of a Japanese System of a Down ripoff.

Don't get me wrong, I like heavy music, it just has no place here.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I agree. The change in theme tune was horrible. I actually used to like the theme, up until Episode 20.
I just skip it now. It would deafen me otherwise.

Did they think that it actually needed to change? Though I belive they changed it due to the events in the show... Anywho...I still hate it.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I actually haven't finished the entire series yet (moved onto other anime shows, and need to go back to it), but I did get past ep 20 when the theme song changed, and I think your right that there was no need to change the song. But also, I liked both songs and love heavy metal riffs so honestly I don't see a problem. It may not be considered by some to "fit" in with the rest of the show but for the sake of keeping the intro fresh they decided to use a different song.

Some anime shows keep the same intro for the whole series and that's fine but those shows are usually 13 eps or something like that. actually that song used to get me really pumped to watch the show. Even though it was a very intelectual show. Metal just seems to go really well with anime (when appropriate).

Austin

Austin
It's not even just the song though, it's the entire intro. Flashing back between scenes of L and Light on the rooftops and stuff.... that fit in so much better than what they have now, IMO. I mean, now it's just Ryuk chasing after apples and the police shooting guns and Misa being, ah, Misa. The point of the Death Note is that it's subtle and sinister, yet this particular opening seems like it belongs with a nuclear apocalypse of some kind.

linkman8

True and Noble
I agree with you 100%. TO THIS DAY, I still consider the second Death Note opening to be the worst opening ever. I've seen a lot of lame ones, a lot of poorly done ones, and a lot of just plain stupid ones, but that one was the stupidest because it didn't fit the show at all, and was just plain irritating. I skipped it 90% of the time.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I felt the same when I first saw it. I thought it was horrid, absolutely horrid. It grew on me though.

WHAT'S UP PEOPLE?!?!?! :suspicious:

*Ehem*

yet this particular opening seems like it belongs with a nuclear apocalypse of some kind.
Just you wait.

The second opening them, "What's Up People" (I think that's it's name), is complete crap. I agree. I think SoaD is way better than that song though. :xd:

Definitely didn't fit, neither did the entire opening. Random, insane, weird visuals. Chaotic and it doesn't match the feel of the show at all. I can't, however, blame them too much for using a new opening. It's just how it's done with anime. New season? New opening. That's just how they do it. I wouldn't even expect it to be different, really. -.-

"The WORLD" will always be the Death Note opening for me. ^^

Keyshe

Whoo are youu?
I hate it too. Not to diss Death Metal (even though I don't like it) It just ruined the mood, and didn't fit to me either. Though some of the imagery with the song did crack me up: L snacking, Ryuk chasing after the apple, and Light's crazy laugh. I find the ending theme (Zetsubou Billy?) more fitting for the opening, then that loud crazy thing...

Len

Zelda On Paper
I haven't finished the show so for the love of God, don't spoil anything.

Who's idea was it to change the theme song at episode 20? I mean, just because the show's called Death Note doesn't mean we need a death metal track at the beginning and end of every episode..... jeez. All of the subtlety and symbolism of the original opening are lost to the characters having some sort of epileptic seizure to the tune of a Japanese System of a Down ripoff.

Don't get me wrong, I like heavy music, it just has no place here.

Gotta agree, it ws way better the first opening and ending, the song screws up with the look, i dunno why they put this song, maybe they where trying to make it scarrier... or somethig like that, the song is not death. it's Nu by the way.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
Ok. Having never seen the show (you don't have to keep reading if you don't care about my opinion) I think I'll have an objective opinion.
I've just watched the first two openings about 4 times and here are my conclusions:
The first is full of the same imagery; it kinda seems immature and not well done (comparted to the second opening), but it gives meaning to the various things they continue to show you.
The second seems better overall, the video matches the audio (an issue I had with the first one) and with exception of the first few cuts (the red screaming heads and L? spinning around in the chair who can't even remove a candy from the tray) it is more pleasing to look at.
That's my opinion as someone who doesn't know a lick about the show.
My theory is that the original animators did the first opening, but with a larger budget, the second opening got outsourced and done by someone with more time and more expirience; clearly this sacrificed some things.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
I liked the second opening song.
Hahah, not that I'm a metal fan or anything, but the opening is a lot more exciting than the actual show a lot of the time.
Not to say that the show is boring; I quite enjoyed it. But, a lot of the show is Light thinking to himself for 20 minutes.
Either way, I didn't mind the song at all (I think I even got it in my iPod somewhere).
Plus, I found it quite entertaining how they managed to sneak in an expletive on TV with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom