• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Concerning Robots

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Okay, I have a weird idea about the robots in Skyward Sword...

As we all know, they worked in the Lanayru region in ages past. They all have the "LD" label, which most people assume stands for "Lanayru Desert" even though when they were operational, they worked in a green land...

To be fair, however, past-era Lanayru does still look a bit "deserty" to me - as in "high desert/plain." I know what I'm talking about with this - I grew up in a low desert (sandy, clay-hardpan, desolate, tan) and had many a family car-trip across high desert to get to mountains for camping when I was a kid. (The interesting thing about growing up in Arizona is that your family road trips can take you through dramatic elevation shifts and whole new environments). Past Lanayru looks like it got just a tad more rainfall than Link's era Lanayru, but just a bit - it's still not a forest.

Anyway, I keep seeing the "LD" label and think "Lanaryu Designation" - Designation, not "desert." Since my brain has always assummed and filled in the "D" with "Designation" (hey, it sounds robot-y), I've wondered it there might have been some "FD" and "ED" units.

"Faron Designation" and "Eldin Designation" respectively.

And I think, if so, there would be very good reasons why we do not see their remains like we do in Lanayru.

In Eldin, if any robots lost their functioning, any internal cooling systems would quickly overload and they probably would have melted in ensuing lava floes. Any non-melted robot-parts would have been scavenged, scrapped and repurposed by Mogmas.

In Faron, non-functioning robots would have quickly rusted completely away into dust in the moisture of the woods or would have been overgrown with foliage. It's a rather wet environment there, which is what you want the opposite of for preservation - thus why the DRY Lanayru Desert was able to preserve the wrecks of the mechanical lifeforms.

So, what do you think? Were the robots possibly more widespread around Hyrule in ancient days?

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
Hmm... you just made me think of something. What if Hyrule is the future of Earth? The humans might have created the robots and then something apocalyptic might have happend. So the goddesses came down and gave Earth the reboot. I know there must be like a billion contradictions to this theory.

As for the idea of other robots in different regions, it would be possible. I like your explanations of why they aren't there.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
Good theory. That's actually completley possible. There was only the Lanayru Province being transformed into a desert, so the robots just rusted. But in Eldin and Faron Provinces, the environment was to harsh for the remains of the robots, so they eventually broke down and everything. Interesting though. But I think before it became a desert, it was probably just Lanayru Plains or something like that.

SuperMetroid

Eating Your Brains
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Lanayru tell you what LD stands for?

Nevertheless, your theory is interesting. The flaw I can readily identify is that there is a lack of evidence in the Eldin and Faron destinations. The reason there are robots around the Lanayru Desert is because they are mining. Why would they be in the other regions? What would their purpose be there? Also, the robots are mining for the Timeshift Stones, apparently the source of their power. So why can't I find any Timeshift Stones in the other regions? Lastl and least, is that there aren't any ruins of the same architecture as that of the Lanayru region in other regions. The other regions also lack the Gerudo's emblem. This last point holds little merit, as robots are not necessarily race/faction dependent.

It's important to note that there are ruins in the Lanayru Sea that still stand, yet they were once covered in water. Despite the sea's disappearance, one would expect it to have at least some noticeable detrimental effect. Although, this is only Zelda we're talking about. Anything could happen.

Possible theory but SuperMetroid does make a point with the timeshift stones and why the would be there in the first place. There was also Scrapper though.... hmm idk.

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I guess they could've been in other areas. I don't think it is highly likely though. Like Super Metriod said the lack of Timeshift Stone Mining is the best reason as to why there isn't any robots there. I think it might stand for Lanayru Development or Lanayru Developers because they work for Lanayru and are mining, building, and maintaining the area of Lanayru which are all types of development. The other possible theory is that LD does stand for Lanayru Desert because the Timeshift stones allowed them to see the future. I prefer the Development theory instead.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I like this theory, however I have some contradictions,

1. If there were robots in other areas I would assume there woul be timeshift stones as well, and we see none of those in other areas

2. This would mean that the robots would be living peacefully with another race which I dont find likely before the war between the land dwellers and the army of darkness

3. I don't think your reason for Faron bots disappearing would work. There was a large sea which the robots and pirates both sailed on and they didn't rust. Skipper was thrown into the sea, and he didnt exactly rust

My theory is why are the Ancient Robots saying ''Lanayru Desert'' because it was green so the ''LD'' label must mean something like Lanayru ........

I agree with people because there is no other time shift stones and also why would it be Lanayru Desert for LD if it's only a desert in the future.

L

Lord of Storms

While I can see the whole concept, I think that it would really but a sweet twist on things, especially those of us that are into the whole Timeline theory of Zelda, but I have to disagree. I see what you're saying about the whole LD meaning Lanayru Desert, and I can even add on to the whole idea of SS being post apocalyptic. All the races, save the moblins, adapted to the environment extremely well, and all in regions that best suited them. Now, because of this revelation, i think that the races all adapted to a form of survival and would later evolve into the familiar races: gorons and zora. The problem with the theory is the lack of evidence. Also, the gorons that do exist pose an impediment to this theory, but who knows.

Just throwing stuff out there.

It's an interesting thought, but I think you're overthinking if. And I totally agree with people who say SS was post apocalyptic. There was the entire Lanayru region, the place as overrun by monsters, and I just want to believe it because it would be awesome. Speaking of which, why don't we have a Zelda taking place DURING an apocalypse?

@Lord of Storms The Gorons can do whatever the hell they want :) I think that they were created so they could survive everything(except dragons), and it's the same race of Gorons in every game, rather than adaptations. I mean, in Wind Waker there was just that one Goron sitting on a raft the entire time....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom