• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Classic Weapons Reimagined

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Remember the weapons in this game and how they were modified? Like the bomb arrows, Hurricane Boomerang (Or whatever it is...), bombs, etc. How did you think of this?

I thought of it as interesting. I mean, it is kinda cool to add new life onto older things, without making it modernized. They were interesting ideas, like a boomerang that is blessed with a goddess's spirit or something like that. Now, I think the whole bomb arrow concept was to cover for the lack of ice and fire arrows. The Zora tunic....it looked a bit odd in comparison to OoT's. Then again, they would have to eventually remake it, and every tunic in the world can't be yours duplicated.

The variety of bombs was interesting. Especially with the water bombs and the bomblings. However, I preferred OoT and MM's bombchu instead, for they represented some modernization that TP had that it didn't have at the same time...

So, anyways, how do you all think about this?

I, personally, liked it. Some of these items added a sort of twist to the series, which made it better, in my opinion. The bomb arrows were probably my favorite, of these items. You aim, shoot, and it blows! What's not to like? Plus, they can be used underwater (if I remember correctly), which is a plus.

The Gale Boomerang was alright, and it was neat, but it wasn't really all that different from the normal boomerang. The only true difference is that you can now activate turning switches with it.

The bomb variety was nice. I don't have too much to say on that issue, since I mostly just used the normal bombs anyway, but I liked the ability to pick and choose between bombs.

Another item that belongs in this thread is the Double Hookshot. It was obtained in the City in the Sky dungeon, and gave you the ability to hookshot from one place to another, without ground stops. As cool as this may sound, my thoughts are that they would have done better to go without it, OR have it obtained some other way. I mean, it was the last dungeon that you needed for the Mirror of Twilight, it should have had a much better weapon! I was very disappointed to finally open that chest just to reveal another Hookshot!

But, despite my complaints, it wasn't necessarily a bad item. It opened up new doors for Nintendo in the future. One thing they should do, though, is either have the Double Hookshot be the first and only Hookshot players get, or have the second Hookshot obtained outside of dungeons. Only if they choose to use it in future games, of course.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
i really liked the name reference for the heroes bow, i think it may have been the same bow from MM though it does look a little different. but if it is the same bow that would mean that eventually MM link finds his way back to hyrule.

the Gale boomerang was nice but hardly used in the game, same with the slingshot. Oot made much better use of there slingshot forcing u to return to your childhood so u would have to use it again. but they are kids weapons and i never got why a teen link would need to use this.

another weapon that was not utilized was the walking bombs which should have just been bombchus.

and the list goes on i guess.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I liked it as well. It was familiar, but it brought a new feeling to the classics. It made them a bit more exciting to find and use instead of just saying "Oh, yay, it's the boomerang again" and having it behave the same way as it always had.

I found the new puzzles that made use of these refined items to be great as well, but they didn't feel over-used. It was a lot better feeling to target points with the Boomerang here than the simple puzzles of the past where you just had to throw it in a straight line across a gap or some such.

C

Cobalt

I always loved the double hookshots, and I think they tend to get a bad rep. I had a lot of fun messing around with them in the City in the Sky temple, and I thought that boss was on of the best in the game, beaten only by Stallord. Going secret agent man across ceilings was really cool, and the puzzles involved with the double hookshots were actually pretty hard, considering we'd never used the item before.

The Gale Boomerang was underused. Great concept, poor usage.

Bombs weren't really all that important to me. I honestly never used the bomblings, and I didn't touch the water bombs except for when completing the Lakebed Temple.

I'm a big fan of the way Twilight Princess added new concepts to old items. It was a great way of keeping series stables but adding them in an original way.

The Gale Boomerang was great. Grabbing stuff with the whirlwind or tearing up the ground. Spinning propellers or putting out flames. It was a great spin on the Boomerang.

The Bomb Arrows aren't so unique, as they have appeared in the series before, but it was their first appearance in a 3D game, so that was cool. I loved how the Bombs worked, though, with all the different kinds of bombs plus multiple Bomb Bags. I'd love to see future games expand on this.

The Clawshot was great, especially when you got the Double Clawshot, which was awesome. And the Lantern was an interesting twist on the old "create a light and light torches" puzzle. I loved it and wish they did a bit more with it.

I'd love to see more games in the series do this with the items, and I hope TP isn't the last we've seen of this. :D

Nepolink

Corrupted Idiot
Another item that belongs in this thread is the Double Hookshot. It was obtained in the City in the Sky dungeon, and gave you the ability to hookshot from one place to another, without ground stops. As cool as this may sound, my thoughts are that they would have done better to go without it, OR have it obtained some other way. I mean, it was the last dungeon that you needed for the Mirror of Twilight, it should have had a much better weapon! I was very disappointed to finally open that chest just to reveal another Hookshot!
Actually that is a point, but a double hookshot was just amazing enough to find in the last Tempe. Finally a improvement for the old and famous Hookshot, in TP the Clawshot then. I like the way they added the ''claw'' since i couldn't figure out how the Hookshots from OoT, MM and other games worked. So it was a pretty cool add for the last Dungeon, and not in all the Zelda games are the last items the coolest around. It would always be amazing to find another unique item as the Spinner, Ball and Chain and Dominion Rod though.

I loved the new Bombs, the water Bomb was just an amazing item to use, finally i had the change to blow things up under water, same for the extreme annoying water enemies. Talk about under water, it was the first Zelda game where Link used his sword under water which was also cool. The Bomb and Arrow Combination was quite awesome too, but i missed the Fire and Ice arrows. It was nice to see the Light arrows in the end of the game, but it was really disappointing that only Zelda used them instead of Link, and it was just the last battle. (Not very spectaculair since the Light Arrows are always at the end of the game.)

I've also enjoyed the Boomerang add, it was nice to pick up bombs with it in the Forest Temple and it was always nice to claim your own places with it. Was really fun to have some switch puzzle with it, then i talk about the one in the Hyrule Castle plains. I almost forgot about the Boomerang there since it was hardly used after the Forest Temple, but always nice to see a place for it return.

The Double Clawshot was the most enjoyable item out of the improved items. It was really fun to shoot around with it and hanging above a very deep hole. Also pretty cool to see Link using this item and holding it. unfortunately it was the last place and the only place were it was needed.

I liked the Tunic improvements. In OoT it was just only the color, now in TP they added many other cool things. I didn't like the Magic Armor since it cost rupee's, it was my favorite tunic out of them all and it would be pretty awesome to walk with it for hours. But it has a special defense add to it, same for the Zora Tunic, now Link can swim like a Zora like Mikau does in Majora's Mask. Great improvements.

Last edited:

Jetter

Type to myself in silence
I haven't played OOA,but when I was watching a walkthrough for fun on youtube I saw the switchhook which obviously is based from the hookshot.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
The way they implemented the iron boots was pretty great this time around. Twas truly nice to be just press the d-pad and take them off, as opposed to going to a subscreen each time. The way the boots were used inside death mountain was pretty neat too.

The boomerang, now, left me wanting. I don't really think of it as a viable weapon for Link after the first dungeon. I like the boomerang's multiple targets mechanism and all that stuff, but I wish there had been a few more enemies you could stun with it, and also a few more puzzles similar to those within the Forest Temple.

Call it nostalgia, but I prefer the Hookshot to the Clawshot. The hookshot's a better weapon; it grabs onto chests! :lol: But having two of them was a pretty cool idea and certainly one of the game's better elements

The Zora tunic was ok too. It's nice that they threw on a breathing apparatus.

I loved the fact that TP took old items and modified them in useful ways, the best examples (for newer gamers) I can think of for this are the Bomb Arrows and the different forms of Bombs that you could buy (if you had a bag spare for them that is, otherwise you could only carry one).

It made TP slightly more fun when you were using these, things like the double clawshot (if you would count that as a reimagined weapon or item) were great to use throughout the game, it was a great way for Nintendo to reinvent the hookshot that many older gamers loved so much. They were probably the most useful items in the game with the ability to do pretty much anything you wanted, cause a momentary headache for enemies after you smacked them in the face with it and the ability to claw your way up to new places.

The bomb arrows made the game pretty cool in terms or places like the Water Temple, it probably made the newer generation of gamers think of how to get past some areas like at the very start of the temple when one of the first things you actually have to do is make a step system to the door.

The way they made it so that you could collect things with the Gale Boomerang was pretty cool but I miss how the old boomerang was harder to use and would actually move like a boomerang, but the Gale Boomerang, was nonetheless, still a pretty cool item for opening doors and gateways, making enemies slightly dizzy for a second and thy way that it made collecting far away items possible before the first clawshot was found in the Water Temple.

I'd like Nintendo to keep doing this every once in a while so that it can rekindle the coolness of some items, the Zora Tunic never used to be that special, it was just a blue tunic but then TP actually gave us a reason to why as it would let you breathe under water, a breathing apparatus that we could easily see in a fair amount of detail. Over all the Zora Tunic had a great design and made Link actually look fairly cool when he was in it which is much more than I could say for what the Blue Tunic in OoT did.

I hope to see more reimagind items in future Zelda games, it would be pretty cool every once in a while.

Din Akera

Sniper
The double clawshoot is my favorite weapon in the game. You do use and need it in the twilight realm too, at least I used it. I like the ability to hang from the ceiling and lower yourself down, as well as hang from the place you targeted rather than just falling once you reached the spot like in OoT and MM.

The spinner was a great item and I enjoyed using it, but I thoughter there wasn't much opportunity for use. THere was in Arbitor's grounds but not so much in the following temple. There was a few places in hyrule field, too.

In terms of the lantern, I didn't like that it never got replaced. The slingshot was replaced by the bow and I saw this as upgrading, and if I remember this did happen with other items in the game and I expected to get a different fire weapon such as fire arrows or something resembling Din's fire.

Wanted to note something that I thought of after reading some of the new posts... most of the new items are great, but as a lot of people brought up, they really weren't used enough. This is true for pretty much all the items in the game, sadly. -.-

You've got it wrong. WATER Bombs arrows can. ;)
Also Bomblings can be on arrows.
Was there even much of a purpose to sticking Bomblings on arrows? Did that even do anything different than Bomb Arrows?

I loved the fact that TP took old items and modified them in useful ways, the best examples (for newer gamers) I can think of for this are the Bomb Arrows and the different forms of Bombs that you could buy (if you had a bag spare for them that is, otherwise you could only carry one).
To be honest, for me the changes to the bombs was one of my favorite things about Twilight Princess. It was pretty awesome to have different kinds of bombs with different traits, and I liked having the ability to carry a bunch of different kinds, etc.. I would love to see this idea continued in the future and have more kinds of bombs too. :)

The double clawshoot is my favorite weapon in the game. You do use and need it in the twilight realm too, at least I used it. I like the ability to hang from the ceiling and lower yourself down, as well as hang from the place you targeted rather than just falling once you reached the spot like in OoT and MM.

The spinner was a great item and I enjoyed using it, but I thoughter there wasn't much opportunity for use. THere was in Arbitor's grounds but not so much in the following temple. There was a few places in hyrule field, too.

In terms of the lantern, I didn't like that it never got replaced. The slingshot was replaced by the bow and I saw this as upgrading, and if I remember this did happen with other items in the game and I expected to get a different fire weapon such as fire arrows or something resembling Din's fire.
Yeah, you do need to use the Double Clawshot to complete the Palace of Twilight. I also liked the hanging stuff. :D

Ooh! Yes, the spinner was incredible. While technically it's not what this thread is about because it's a new weapon entirely, it's still awesome. I wish they had a lot more sections with elaborate Spinner tracks like in Arbiter's Grounds.

I guess I see what you're saying about the lantern. I believe they just intended it for the illumination purpose and as a replacement for the Deku Sticks in most of the torch puzzles (they still kinda used that idea with Wolf Link, though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom