• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Chevywolf30 tries to draw

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
View attachment 45855
Very pleased with this one. Kinda messed up and made it look like he only has one hind leg. (: The whole rear end is a little odd, but oh well.

Wow, you’ve improved so much! Keep practicing and your drawing skills will skyrocket! I like how you’re experimenting with different angles. First, you drew it at a front-view, and now a side-view. Drawing the same thing at different angles is very good for improving your artistic skills.

Also, I can see you struggled a bit with the back legs and tail. I’d recommend drawing the leg first, than drawing the tail over it. Then when you get to lining it with pen, erase the overlapping parts.

KirBEE
View attachment 45856
Low effort drawing.

Cute! <3

I’ve noticed how you color in these two pics. It seems like you only do one (maybe two) layers of coloring, and leave spots of white. Of course, this could be the look you’re going for. Many artists intentionally leave patches of white and color a bit outside of the lines. Took this piece of art, for example:

1613433680408.jpeg

But usually the kind of art style is mainly used with watercolor. I’m not saying you can’t use it, feel free to. I love seeing unique art styles!

But I think this will really help you out, whether you want that kind of art style or not. When I shade, I have several layers of color, stacking up to make a unique color.

C67EF20A-7151-4307-A36D-4441FF0DA3A1.jpeg

In this layer I’m very relaxed. Since the cat’s coat is two shades of blue, I start out with The Whole cat being blue. In later layers I will add more colors to one to make it darker than the other.

D300AFD0-83A8-4E3D-B222-C7CA75C7ACF3.jpeg

In this layer I add darker and lighter colors to the two spots on the cat’s coat. I also do some shading.

0F25AFDC-4EBE-478C-B165-D858A547F5C8.jpeg

In these two final layers I finish shading and adding depth to the drawing with different colors. I give it a smooth effect with my white colored pencil, and fill in any white gaps.

This is one of my simpler drawings. Some of mine can have many more layers.

But I think that will help you. Try to use layers and build up color with many different types of colored pencils. I used many types of blues in my drawing. It will definitely improve how your colored drawings look.

Keep up the great work! I’m loving all these clever and inspiring drawings!

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
20210308_180210~2.jpg
Just some practicing on human figures. Made the torso much too large, didn't even wanna bother with hands or face. Probably gonna do some bust type drawings to get practice in that area. Faces are very hard, probably gonna look at some tutorials for that.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
20210308_181639~2.jpg
Heck yes I did.
New sig time.[/S]

Oh yeah btw Echo, I used your tip on layers of color for the bowtie. The first one I used was too brown, so I did another layer with my yellow, and look how it turned out.

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
20210308_182746~2.jpg
I was just doing a drawing of the Fused Shadow helmet when this concept hit me, my next project is gonna really go all out with this. Maybe even a scene with Midna in it.

Sans x Midna.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
View attachment 46021
Just some practicing on human figures. Made the torso much too large, didn't even wanna bother with hands or face. Probably gonna do some bust type drawings to get practice in that area. Faces are very hard, probably gonna look at some tutorials for that.

If you’re interested in improving human-like figures, I’d suggest look at references, art, anatomy, tutorials, and anything else to get a sense of proportions. I don’t recommend looking at an art style too different from yours for proportions though. (Just think how different chibi and realistic is for example.)

If you can’t find an exact proportion style you like, I’d recommend looking at a real person, and adjusting the proportions yourself. (But if you can find a person with an art style similar to yours, definitely learn from their art! I draw in an anime style, so I don’t really have a problem finding proportion references, but idk if you want your art to look like that or not.)

Find the areas you struggle with the most or feel like they’re the most important, and work them individually. For example, say you need to work on the face. You just can’t get a nose to look right, or maybe you struggle with drawing the eyes evenly. Look up a reference of your choice, and use it to draw the human face in the front-view several times, then side-view, 3/4, and so on.

A year or two ago, I used to always look up a pic of a cat, person, or any kind of animal and copy it on paper. I’d look at the drawing, then sketch it myself on a loose piece of paper I had. I especially did it when I got a ‘how to draw anime’ tutorial book. I drew the drawings in there so much haha. I can honestly say it helped me develop my own art style, and before I knew it, I could draw anime characters without the book.

So don’t feel bad or anything if you rely on references and copying, I did it all the time, and it really boosted my skills. Just make sure you don’t copy another person’s artwork and say you did it. That would be rude. (This doesn’t count for references like this: )
1615256230333.jpeg

(I’m talking about completely copying a full finished piece of artwork. You only do that for learning purposes.)

Another thing I noticed is that it seems you drew details in before you finished the overall basic sketch. Now, I know it’s tempting to draw in clothes, accessories, shading, and any other little quirks before finishing the body and pose, but it’s crucial to have a good, fully drawn and proportionate basic outline sketch, or things may look wonky at the the end. It’s the base for your drawing, and things become significantly easier when you have it all roughly sketched out, and you just need to add little details in afterwards.

Trust me, I’ve learned that the hard way haha.

View attachment 46022
Heck yes I did.
New sig time.[/S]

Oh yeah btw Echo, I used your tip on layers of color for the bowtie. The first one I used was too brown, so I did another layer with my yellow, and look how it turned out.

Haha it’s great! I love it.

Ooh, your layers made it turn into a golden color, just like the real one! I’m so happy I could help <3

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
20210330_200546~2.jpg
A shiny Umberon appeared!

The hair was an afterthought and it shows. She also has more of an angry look in the picture, it's a good one, but the drawing has more of an impish grin, which I was going for.
20210330_200957~2.jpg
There we go. A little derpy kinda but I still love the expression.

I also need to work on the lighting in my room.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Lycanroc playing with Rockruff copy.jpg
I drew this on paper and used our new printer to scan it because there were some messy pencil lines and I didn't trust myself to color it right with pencils. It took me several hours, but I hope that any future digital art I do will be quicker because I spent a lot of time getting into a rhythm with Photoshop. This is by far my favorite thing I've ever drawn.

JEzOmsoY_o.jpg

The original pencil drawing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom